Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What under layers do you wear?

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

my Icebreaker stuff has been washed and washed and washed ...., and it's still as new

+1
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My Patagonia very light base layer is full of holes, but I still wear it.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For years I've worn an M and S set of thermals, stretchy cotton polo neck and either a micro fleece or cashmere sweater, but recently invested in some merino bottoms and a slinky sporty top and a thin fleece. What a difference! I was so warm on a day at glenshee that I'm a convert. I could never do the bare legs under ski trousers thing so would wear tights if it was too warm for thermals. The only thing to change now is my buff, which is stretchy cotton jersey and gets very cold when damp it's pointless wearing. I think a lot depends on the quality of insulation in the coat though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@pam w, If it wasn't full of holes how would you get into it? Puzzled
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
I shall be wearing lots of layers too. These folk who say "I never wear more than a light fleece under my shell and am always toastie" must be from a different planet.
I sometimes have to take my jumper off and just wear a tshirt under my coat....Not in -15 mind you.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Merino wool is good but I am a changed man after purchasing some bamboo base layers this year! Im glad I bought in December as they seem to have run out of everything that I have!

bambooclothing.co.uk
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Like Pedantica, i'm an Icebreaker fan. And find it washes up just fine.
In these cold days i've 3 icebreaker layers on top half with Acteryx jacket, and 2 thermals on bottom half under insulated trousers.
Also have balaclava for face which has warm fluffy bit for neck and face and thinner bit for head so fits under helmet - this wonderful item can transform cold shivery days into glorious snuggliness.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have tried both Helly Hansen stuff and Icebreaker and I prefer the Helly Hansen stuff as it dries quicker on the clothes horse when washed and weighs less as well I find the Icebreaker stuff weighs more for the same number of tops in your bag.

Also find the merino wool stuff itchy but then I've never been able to wear wool of any kind.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Best I found is a very light base layer (Helly Hansen,had it for years, great fit and quick to dry ) with high collar and 1/4 zip at the neck, a light fleece all under an insulated Tenson jacket. All this has been more than enough. Or just a thicker base layer (still with a zip to let out any excess heat) and the insulated jacket.

Have now got an Icebreaker mid-layer will will be trying soon (hopefully)

Never have found the need for anything more under Tenson salopettes.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Love Icebreaker... still have, and wear, a 10 year old Expedition-weight top. Looks hardly worn. That said, I have 2 issues with Icebreaker:

1. Cannot put in a clothes dryer. If washed when we are away, then they have to be hung out to dry in the bathroom. Bathroom then smells like a wet dog.
2. They are heavier than fleeces.

These are not big issues if you are going for only a week, especially if you are driving, but are a consideration if you fly and stay for a month - which we do.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@JanieS, have look at Embers merino, EDZ and Finnister, look at the weight of the Merino, sorry more confusion. I have bits from each of them and they are good, I also have a North face and Helley Hansen technical base layer. I also wear leggings and have North Face and HH ones which are man made.

For those special occasions I wear me Finnister Merino underpants Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Love the idea of merino / Icebtraker base layers but find that it's just too itchy next to my skin. I'm wearing a long sleeved synthetic base layer on my current trip and that seems to do the trick most days with an insulated jacket on top.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have always been more than comfotable with Under Armour base layer (top and leggings), Polatec 100 fleece, plus good HH jacket and trousers. Over the New Year we were in Bardonecchia, Italy, and I was generally unzipping the top two layers half way to keep ambient.
However, if I was in Canada I gather three layers may not be enough. Will have to save up to know for sure! Confused
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
-16 on Mont fort (tignes) this morning and quite windy. Peter storm Merino t polyprop micro fleece leggings, mid weight peter storm fleece. Up-to-the armpit un insulated powder dungarees, thick winstopper fleece over the top. Helmet & buff. Just about warm enough without the vortex shell jacket over everything else.

So I retract my previous advice that a merino t and a thick ski jacket should be sufficient! Not this week it isn't😀.

PS: breathable jackets and wind stopper fleeces, well and good to keep you dry. But sure the wind chill is worse.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JanieS wrote:
I will look into some merino wool - I believe mountain warehouse have it

I have a few merino baselayers already (Quechua from Decathlon) but supplemented them with these last week.

This is standard merino baselayer that is actually 80% merino and 20% polyester.

While this one is advertised as a thicker baselayer, again it is 80/20.

Last week at a bitterly cold Glenshee I had a standard merino as a base and then the thicker one above as my mid-layer. I also had my Columbia 3-in-1 jacket on. I was nice and warm all day without being too hot.

I've used cheap Trespass 100% polyester base layers and while they kept me very warm they also made me stink. It got so bad that it made the padded inner on my 3-in-1 jacket stink too. I was getting embarrassed by it so vowed that I'd find an alternative.

I have no itchiness issues that others report but when I ordered my merino layers I ordered some for my 7 year old son. He could not wear then. Within seconds he was dancing around as if someone had put itching power in them. They were returned to the shop.
snow conditions
Planet-X merino T-shirt (just would not develop a niff, other than slight odour of sheep)...until the moths made it unwearable. Wee brutes love the stuff.

Other than that smelly Helly base layers, though the leggings have some wool in them and don't seem to emit a pong in the way the top does. Thin windproof Montane hoody over that. Very occasionally wear a light fleecy gilet under the jacket if it's proper cold and windy. Bought a new ski jacket this year that works much better than the old one so might never need that again... technological developments eh? Marvellous.
ski holidays
I use some cheap Altura cycling base layers I picked up in the sales ages ago and some Umbro sports undies from Sports Direct. Not wool, not smelly and do the job
latest report
Following this post I went out today in full polypropylene and no merino. Have to say the polypropylene is cosier.
snow report
galpinos wrote:
The icebreaker stuff is too fragile and if you sweat, it wets out and takes too long to dry.

I've been wearing the same Icebreaker merino base layers for 32 weeks of skiing over 6 seasons. They are washed every second day and still show no signs of wear. Nor do they wet out easily but then I barely sweat when I ski. On the few occasions I've broken a sweat, the Icebreakers have wicked that wetness remarkably well and have dried quickly.

Just goes to show how individual our experiences are.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy