Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Sunday - nostalgia isn't what it used to be....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
AthersT, there are some pretty good docu shorts on Vimeo and YouTube about background staff. One of the best I saw was in two parts, on YouTube, about the Chamonix PGHM. It's in French but it's easy to get the gist of what they're saying. It was quite harrowing in parts but fascinating.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AthersT wrote:
@Zero_G, This might sound crazy but I would love a documentary about Ski resort "background staff" so pisteurs, lifties, avi controllers ski patrol etc....
Some TV company heaven forbid might turn it in to a reality TV programme! Less "snow sex and suspicious parents" and the jump and more Ice Road Truckers/Deadliest Catch type of show! Cool

There have been several programmes like that on French TV, subtitles don't seem to put people off watching foreign police dramas so maybe there would be an audience.

There was even one that followed the Gendarmes in Tignes, it included them tracking down a pot farm in an apartment in Les Boisses.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@AthersT, that'll be "The Mountain", currently running on BBC2 Scotland. You should be able to get it on iPlayer down in Englandshire. It covers a season on Cairgorm, everyone from the pisteurs to the rental shops, bars and restaurants.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.tv-ark.org.uk/mivana/mediaplayer.php?id=8a1b4163c312a134e3a3c96360023afb&media=skitips&type=mp4

Anyone remember this series???
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Zero_G, I take your point about the pro sport on TV being the elite, but I think skiing is different from football, cricket etc as you cannot just have the equivalent of a kick about in the street. Skiing is seen as an elite sport. Other sports in this category might include sailing, rowing, horse-riding and possibly motor racing (don't know - no interest in petrol stuff). Maybe we like skiing being like that, but sailing has gone to great lengths to attract all sorts to the sport. Its high profile, as well as its inclusivity, means funding comes its way. Do we want "our" bit of mainstream TV to evangelise or just to show the elite? Not sure.

snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

although I don't watch 'Top Gear', I believe its audience is much, much larger than Formula 1, not just in the UK but worldwide too

Top Gear gets about 350m worldwide, F1 races attract about 450m to 500m watchers worldwide...
I'd suspect there is substantial crossover...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
"the mountain" on bbc scotland covers a bit of that. it's worth watching, if only to see how brutal the food is in aviemore.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How about this classic from 1973/74?

http://youtube.com/v/23lnt0Sgg5o

Not a helmet in sight, skis at 210cms upwards, knees clamped together, skiing in the back seat! That's how it was when I started... Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Valkyrie, @maxhowarth, Will have to have a look on iPlayer - I don't tend to watch that much TV even though I pay for Sky, apart from lots of sport.
I don't know about anyone else but I watch lots of internet videos of all sorts including winter sports. Watched the GNAR film the other week it was brilliant! Also I think I have now watched every Shredbots video, I love them!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
yorkshirelad wrote:
All too safe i feel.... all the skiers seem to be skiing within their ability rather than pushing further...i could be wrong though. .is Bode Miller the only guy who skis on the edge !!!

Really! I still watch them from behind the sofa- they've got to be all stark raving bonkers to do what they do! The only other group who come close to the skiers for risk are NH jump-jockeys.
I think Graham and Ed are a great combo and its a shame they're not allowed to do more of the magazine stuff. I still think though it's better than the old school "here is the race and see you next week".
Great news The Jump is back- can't believe they managed to sign off the insurance after last year!
Shocked
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hedley wrote:
The finish at Wengen must have been landscaped since then. They just don't seem to get any air like they used to do.

Either that or the skiers and equipment are so much better nowadays?

It was re-profiled a few years back - nowhere near as steep now Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy