Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Sunday - nostalgia isn't what it used to be....

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone missing Ski Sunday like it used to be? That weekly injection of "I could could do that if I had just been born in Kitzbuel..." Look on...would you REALLY want to do this?

http://youtube.com/v/2t3jRjnaqFY&index=2&list=PL4xvpIrAmrfTb6kGeJUBaINgPkynOKGJs
Enjoy..sorry about the quality in places VHS now converted to digital but maybe a bit late...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I miss High Altitude.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Loved it, have you considered a tweet to current skisunday team?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I remember watching a lot of those racers. Those were the days no fancy netting no nice big blue lines to define turns etc just you your skis the mountian and an accident waiting to happen.

Might have to dig out all my old VHS stuff from the 80's and see what is on there wink

@ansta1, Maybe a certain Mr. Bell could post a few of his ( and his brothers ) more exhilarating moments on the DH tour. wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And perhaps Mr Bell, who is still an ambassador for Nevica, might like to explain his blatant plugging of their products on the programmes of a tax payer funded broadcaster.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Be easier sending a strongly worded e mail to the BBC , it too would fall on death ears

Way of the world
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My fastest time down the Hahnenkamm was 8 mins 34 seconds. My sphincter was twitching like a rabbit's nose by the end. Lord knows how they get down there in 2 mins flat!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@RakTrak, nice!

Quote:

it too would fall on death ears

dem some pretty scary aural appendages!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The finish at Wengen must have been landscaped since then. They just don't seem to get any air like they used to do.

Either that or the skiers and equipment are so much better nowadays?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think at very least the gates were moved after the death of Gernot Reinstadler in the early nineties. Until then racers were sometimes catapulted out of he last gate of the finish S. I remember also Peter Mueller breaking his collarbone again by being spat out of that last gate. After almost 2 1/2 minutes if racing, it was a big risk.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dangerous being a spectator in those days
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@sev112, helped to save on crash barriers....
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just watching the women's downhill from St. Moritz and it's clear that course prep is very different now. Not so many spectators at the side of the course these days either.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@schmalex,
similar memories down the val gardena 3 days after franz klammer time over 8 mins with what felt like a 20 sec breather he did it in under 2mins not much h&s getting in the way of life then realised could run a mile in less than 4 times ie 16mins or 100m in less than twices as fast an athlete drive a car/bike round a circuit not 4 times as slows that was the bug well and truly caught only missed 1 year since
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
All too safe i feel.... all the skiers seem to be skiing within their ability rather than pushing further...i could be wrong though. .is Bode Miller the only guy who skis on the edge !!!
snow conditions
skiforfun, punctuation is really helpful. I have no idea what you are trying to say!!
ski holidays
Markmcn wrote:
skiforfun, punctuation is really helpful. I have no idea what you are trying to say!!

+1. Puzzled
ski holidays
dode wrote:
@sev112, helped to save on crash barriers....

Helped to save on STRAW bales !!
latest report
@Markmcn, apologies, my writing skills on this machine are limited,, what I was trying to say was that my love of our sport/holidays was formed by the realisation that the best participants are so far in front of my capabilites compared to other activities that I may have partaken in ,hope you can now understand my post ,cheers
ski holidays
Showed the clip to smallest boy (9) who absolutely loved the thrill of 1970s madness skiing. He has now made me watch numerous Franz Klammer clips on YouTube!
snow report
It's those early Ski Sunday programmes that lit my pilot light for skiing. My mum used to love Ski Sunday. I don't know why coz she'd never have gone skiing but we used to watch it together. The Hahnenkahm was her favourite.
ski holidays
My Dad was obsessed with it in the 70s/80s too. No idea why as he has never, ever been skiing and had no desire to do so? Puzzled
snow conditions
Incredible Shocked
ski holidays
Whenever they used to show a racer outside of the usual suspects you knew by the first checkpoint whether they were showing it because it was an unexpectedly great time, or, more usually, a big crash was coming up.
ski holidays
Still an element of that today. They sort of apologised for the lack of crashes at Kitzbuhel.

snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

They sort of apologised for the lack of crashes at Kitzbuhel.

Yeah I liked that!
snow conditions
i love that the overwhelming emotion of most of those crashes was anger...I'd have just been thankful to walk away and find a bar for a stiff drink Laughing

Used to love Ski Sunday...there was a great crash that Helmut Hoeflehner had in the compression in the Val d'Isere DH years ago literally just spat him out...never did find a clip. Also in the World Champs in i think Schladming in the early 90's where one of the favourites pushed out the start hut and got their pole caught in the mesh causing them to go wildly off balance skating all over the place snowHead
ski holidays
In my opinion, Ski Sunday has far too much focus on Alpine piste skiing and downhill racing for it to survive many more seasons. Someone really needs to stir the content up a bit before the plug gets pulled as it'd be a shame if we lost snow sports on mainstream TV, and the thirty seconds or so of viewer Q&A's including ripping the p#ss out of snowbladers etc doesn't really add enough. For skiing, also read boarding but my suggestions would include looking at UK ski areas, non-Alpine ski areas, snow reports and forecasts, backcountry safety, human powered skiing (touring, cross-country, unusual descents), skiing history, skimo racing and Nordic etc. There's a proliferation of interest in other areas of snow sports that seem to have gone right over the heads of the programmers.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fully agree that it needs to change, but because only 125 people and a dog watch it, the BBC won't fund it beyond what it gets now.... catch 22 really, but it must have had a decent following in the day ? but like me there are more people watching Eurosport etc. so it will only get worse for the programme, as everybody wants to watch chuffin footy..
ski holidays
Great clip! Seemed to be a lot of just getting up and being annoyed, despite some horrible looking crashes.
Best bit, 2:45 the (American ?) guy "I'm ok!" while climbing out of a snowdrift that we've all climbed out of Very Happy
latest report
It does make skiing seem, well, inaccessible. All you see is young, fit people doing crazy things that fill most people with terror. If this is skiing's TV shop window (and it might not be, I know) then it does seem to be experts only. That was why I liked The Jump so much. My standard of skiing by people with not much idea.

snowHead
snow report
@Chris Bish, fear not, "I'm a celebrity, call me an ambulance!" is back on 1st or 2nd of Feb.

A great many of us lament the loss of 'High Altitude', but I can't see it coming back anytime soon. Ski Sunday will always be anchored around the traditional downhill format, although personally i'd like to see more time handed over to freestyle, skier/boardercross or freeride events, although negotiating the rights to the footage isn't always easy or cheap - i mean, forget trying to get X-Games broadcast rights anytime soon!
latest report
Chris Bish wrote:
It does make skiing seem, well, inaccessible. All you see is young, fit people doing crazy things that fill most people with terror. If this is skiing's TV shop window (and it might not be, I know) then it does seem to be experts only. That was why I liked The Jump so much. My standard of skiing by people with not much idea.

snowHead

Seriously? All professional sport that is televised shows top athletes performing at top levels. Why should skiing be any different? The last thing I'd want to see televised is a programme about intermediate skiers pootling around. I want to see people at the top of their game, thrashing it out. Would Be even better to see a mix of racing, freeride, freestyle and –cross across skiing and snowboarding.
snow report
TBH, If I want to watch Live Competitive Alpine Skiing, I just watch Eurosport.
I would much rather Ski Sunday become more of a real world/skiing programme, focusing on boosting Skiing's image to the general public who still and probably quite rightly think that Skiing is for the middle class and above. I don't believe it is mind, as I wouldn't consider myself or my upbringing middle class but thats the general impression still to the people who have never skiied or been to the Alps etc....
snow report
Not everyone has access to Eurosport.

But yes, they could broaden the appeal of Sli,Sunday by covering more than just alpine racing but I don't want to see it turned into a travel show or reality show. It should be inspiring people to get out there and be the best they can be rather than 'inspiring' mediocrity.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 26-01-15 17:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Zero_G, there are a bunch of TV programs that make entertainment out of the diversity of things, doing it very successfully and the BBC has the global reach and network to do much better with a skiing slot. As an example, although I don't watch 'Top Gear', I believe its audience is much, much larger than Formula 1, not just in the UK but worldwide too, and it thrives on variety.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 26-01-15 18:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Zero_G, As much as I agree about the 'mediocrity', getting people Skiing/Boarding in the first place and dispelling the myth of it being Elitist and an overly expensive pastime is surely more important.
I mean if you have more skiiers total, the law of averages should mean more people get into competing in Skiing/Boarding of all types.
Skiing is fun and great for your fitness, generally the surroundings are beautiful and you get to experience something different to the standard spanish beach holiday.

As I say, I can watch competitive skiing/boarding of all types from late November to April on Eurosport in HD. Whether watching a young, tall, muscular Norwegian flying down a mountain with a 60 degree angle at 80mph would inspire many people "to get out here" is a moot point. I would think it would scare off as many people as it would inspire, as it may give a false impression of what skiing is like for the masses.
snow conditions
Personally, I don't like ski racing (shock horror) but appreciate that many do and that's why it gets coverage. I think we all agree that Ski Sunday could gain traction by covering more diverse aspects of skiing and, perhaps, profiling some of the top people in their fields, e.g. ski mountaineers, avi controllers, pisteurs and rescuers, racers, tourers, freeriders, etc. as well as covering big events across the different disciplines.
ski holidays
@Zero_G, amen. Let's hope someone on the Ski Sunday team is thinking about it too ...
snow report
@Zero_G, This might sound crazy but I would love a documentary about Ski resort "background staff" so pisteurs, lifties, avi controllers ski patrol etc....
Some TV company heaven forbid might turn it in to a reality TV programme! Less "snow sex and suspicious parents" and the jump and more Ice Road Truckers/Deadliest Catch type of show! Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy