Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix for a day - where to ski?

Poster: A snowHead
I've never been to Chamonix, but have a chance to ski there for a day, maybe a day and a bit if I'm lucky, next week. I'll ski anything on piste fairly well, and as I'll be on my own I'm not looking for any off piste this time around.

I'll be staying in the town centre, so can anyone suggest where I should head for?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lots of good stuff to do but 1 day? spend it all on Les Grands Montets
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Brevent/Flegere area is great for a day of on piste action, and is the nearest to the town centre - possibly walkable if you're very central.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm with Whitters. Unless the weather's pants in which case, Les Houches
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ok, thanks. That looks good. How accessible is it from the town centre? Are there buses etc? I'll arrive around 12.30, with an appointment in the town centre at 3pm. Is that enough time for a couple of runs on the first day? I'll have a full day the next day.

And are there lockers at the bottom station?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
For piste skiing, Grands Montets is the worst place to go. Too few pistes and you could do them all in about 90 minutes. As above, Brev-Fleg if sunny or Les Houcehs if flat light or stormy.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I went to Chamonix last march for 4 days.It was my first time at a proper Ski resort.The first day we went to Les Houche which was very good then the second day we went to Brev-Fleg which was also very good but Grand Montets on the third day was absolutely awesome.It was so much better than the other two.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@FullyTucked, in March you'd expect the GMs snow to be better because it's north facing whereas B-F is south facing.

Next week? Not so much (not at all).

Plus, @Pending, where are you staying? Going to GMs adds at least 20mins bus each way, (as does Les Houches). You have 3.5 hours on day 1, realistically, 2 hours actual skiing.

Easiest access is Brevent, walkable from town centre.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FullyTucked, Chamonix isn't exactly a 'proper ski resort'. It's just an Alpine town with an economy based largely on mountaineering and scrambling. The skiing part was added afterwards.

That said, it does have fantastic skiing if off piste is your bag. If I was a piste-only skier, I would have enjoyed my first trip for the spectacular scenery, the atmosphere and the pretty town but it I would not have kept returning because the piste skiing is pretty limited compared to many other French and Austrian resorts. Granted, there are also many resorts with fewer pistes than Cham.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
@FullyTucked, in March you'd expect the GMs snow to be better because it's north facing whereas B-F is south facing.

Next week? Not so much (not at all).

Plus, @Pending, where are you staying? Going to GMs adds at least 20mins bus each way, (as does Les Houches). You have 3.5 hours on day 1, realistically, 2 hours actual skiing.

Easiest access is Brevent, walkable from town centre.

I wasn't talking about the snow quality.The runs in Grand Montets are so much better.We had so much fun there.We also prefered Les Houche to Brev-Flagere.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Zero_G wrote:
FullyTucked, Chamonix isn't exactly a 'proper ski resort'. It's just an Alpine town with an economy based largely on mountaineering and scrambling. The skiing part was added afterwards.

That said, it does have fantastic skiing if off piste is your bag. If I was a piste-only skier, I would have enjoyed my first trip for the spectacular scenery, the atmosphere and the pretty town but it I would not have kept returning because the piste skiing is pretty limited compared to many other French and Austrian resorts. Granted, there are also many resorts with fewer pistes than Cham.

Yeah i knew that before i posted but i had only been to Zakopane before so i just meant it was the first proper Ski place place i had been to.Heading to Tignes in 4 weeks and expecting it to be awesome Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@FullyTucked, not entirely sure why you'd think that but you ste very welcome to your own opinon snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
1 day in Chamonix? Definately Grand Montets. As posted above, more piste skiing in Brevent, better cruisey blues and reds in Les Houches and even Le Tour but going to the top of GM is just a special experience. Some of you guys might be a little jaded but I've only been to the area once and when I remember Cham I remember GM. Back In March with hopefully a bit more snow than last time.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the info. The question wasn't so much where is the best area of Chamonix to ski but where is the most practical given that I have very limited time and have to stick to the piste.

I'm sure I'll be back there for the full experience at some point, but this time it's a quickie Happy

@under a new name, I'm staying off Place du Mont Blanc, which looks to be very close to the centre of town. I'll only have 2.5 hours on the first day - including travel to and from the centre. Would it be too optimistic to hope to get a couple of runs in?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pending, based on your location, Brevent is the closest and you can ski over to Flegere and back if you're really quick snowHead
snow conditions
@Pending, no, you can do it, I wouldn't try going to Flegere as if the tram between was to go tech, you'd miss your meeting. Stick to Brevent, lap Cornu a few times no worries.

@Snow Hound, read the OP! On piste wanted...and anyway, if you know your way around Flegere, better chance of powder than up the GMs anyway... snowHead
ski holidays
Yeah, Brevent - that looks like the plan! At least for the first afternoon, and I'll see how conditions are for the second day. Thanks.

Anyone know if there are lockers at the Brevent bottom station?
ski holidays
@Pending, good choice , great views , great piste just don't bother skiing back down to town , as the black run will only trash ur skis .
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy