Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Flaine

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone

We (family of 5) are driving to Flaine for the February half term. We've never done the "road trip" before & wondered if anybody had any tips/comments that would help us.

Thanks a lot

Alistair

Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Key thing is timing as February half term will be exceptionally busy. Ideal situation is to leave on Friday and get as far down into France as possible. Have a quick sleep in a cheap hotel (F1 etc), get up early Saturday and get up to resort ASAP. This leaves time on Saturday to do all the things like passes, ski hire, register at ski school. If you are setting off on Saturday seriously consider getting to resort later on Saturday although this means getting ready for ski lessons will be a bit of a panic on sunday.
Also get a doofah from Sanef so you can get the peage booths as quickly as possible. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I know I'm in a minority but I've done the drive three times from Leeds straight through (Les Carroz). I always find audio books make the time fly! The one time I drove down at half term the Channel Tunnel waiting area was a bit apocalyptic so I'd look at stopping before Dover. Once on the road its about 8.5 hours from Calais to Flaine.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
normama wrote:
Key thing is timing as February half term will be exceptionally busy. Ideal situation is to leave on Friday and get as far down into France as possible. Have a quick sleep in a cheap hotel (F1 etc), get up early Saturday and get up to resort ASAP. This leaves time on Saturday to do all the things like passes, ski hire, register at ski school. If you are setting off on Saturday seriously consider getting to resort later on Saturday although this means getting ready for ski lessons will be a bit of a panic on sunday.
Also get a doofah from Sanef so you can get the peage booths as quickly as possible. Very Happy
Speaking of doofahs from Sanef, do these provide a discount on the normal tolls?

If so would be very interested to know more!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I dont think they do, in fact there is a small service charge. They do however let you pay your outstanding balance upto 2 months after the trip. The smug feeling of driving past large queues paying by cash/ credit card is priceless IMO Very Happy . Go to sanef uk website for details
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
+1 Doofer
+1 Audiobooks (though these have been somewhat superseded by pod-casts of Radio4 programs)

DVD player in the back for the kids.

We drive through the night, have a quick kip in an aire (remember to take a blanket for the driver!) and are in resort by ~ 09:30 The year we went to Flaine we were on the first lift by ~ 10AM and had a great first day.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Telepeage can make tolls smoother, but there is no discount for using it
Audiobooks are great for kids - Harry Potter has seen us through many a trip
Make sure you have snacks and water in the car
Make sure you have wet wipes and a rubbish bag in car
If a possibility some sort of bag in case anyone is travel sick!
Be aware the smaller Aires can be hole in the ground loos
Everyone stops at 12 for lunch! We usually stop early and buy bread and cold meats from larger service area and then have a late picnic in a quieter Aire after 1.30
When you stop for fuel everyone goes to loo
Make sure coats etc are accessible if required for walking to service station
Don't forget all the advice from AA about requirements for driving in France
Check oil and screenwash before going - we keep a small supply in boot
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Check oil and screenwash before going

Remember to get -30 screenwash it can get quite cold in the resorts
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Once on the road its about 8.5 hours from Calais to Flaine.

it could take significantly longer at half term if you are driving up to the resort between about 1030 and 1800. Not to speak of snow.

If you can't arrive in your resort before 11 am it's better to wait till much later.

Lidl and Aldi sell good screenwash (the ones in Halfords are hopeless) but they don't always have it in stock.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy