Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's the likely hood of a bargain 7th march 2015

Poster: A snowHead
Evening all.

After a terrible week in L2A last week (2 days it was completely closed) I feel I've not done my skiing this year Sad

Usually, the mrs and I, grab some winter sun in the canaries in march....... It is also the time I tend to start my triathlon training.......it's so much more civilised running without a hat and gloves on Very Happy

But I feel the need for a bit more snow........ So here in the quandary.

Do I go AI in the sun for £1100 staying in a rather nice hotel with pools etc (but no swim up bar Sad ) which I can book now....... Thus making the wife happy

Or, do I wait till the last minute and book somewhere in the snow?

The criteria for the snow is that is must be ski in/out...... Or pretty close, and no more than 2 hours(ish) transfer?

I've looked at where we stayed last week and with passes, carriage etc it comes to £2000 Sad Sad

Any help on this from people who booked last minute in march last year would be greatly appreciated............or if you know of any bargains to be had.

(Mr Nixmap, on the rare chance you might see this thread, do you have any jobs going that week wink )
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@kiteman69, fair chance of a bargain, I imagine, but you'd need to be flexible (about everything) and leave it to the last minute.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@kiteman69, i'd get rid of the ski in - out idea, as you always pay a premium for this!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
@kiteman69,but you'd need to be flexible (about everything).

I suppose I could always leave the wife at home Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I hear what you are saying.

So it is possible to get a hotel / chalet that is "nice"
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@kiteman69, self catering could be cheaper and there are nice apartments available...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes, self catering could be cheaper and there is no shortage of "nice" ski in/out apartments. 7 March is the end of the French school hols and prices will be low. But you will not get much choice of either resort or apartment through a package holiday operator. DIY is the answer.

And that doesn't prevent your eating out, or buying some ready made dishes from a "traiteur" if you don't even want to whang a couple of steaks on and buy good bottle of wine.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Daft question but is that £1100 per person or total?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

for a boring holiday in the sun that's probably for two..... wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I always look for late deals just to see out of interest what you can get. Personally I think you could get a late deal in a Catered Chalet in the Alps for £400 PP plus Lift passes.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
Quote:

for a boring holiday in the sun that's probably for two..... wink

Indeed it is.

OK. The nail biting starts.

If it works out. And I remember. I will update this thread with any deal I secure
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've been looking for something for the same week. Criteria was ski in ski out for 2 couples. Had to have 2 seperate rooms in an apartment as I can't abide the sleeping in a living room crap. And reasonably high.
Didn't seem to be to much around so couldn't face the nail biting game of waiting for a last minute deal. Just booked an apartment through the Tignes website in val claret. Yay roll on the 7th March Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We left it last minute and got a great deal with Silver Ski last March. £299pp for chalet holiday inc flights, transfers, accommodation, food etc. Lift passes about £200 extra for 6 days. La Plagne, ski in ski out (chalet Topaz). Check their website or get on their email list. We flew from Gatwick but they now do Manchester too.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PS Silver Ski also go to the 3 Valleys - La Praz, La Tania and Meribel
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kiteman69,

Book two flights now to Geneva (£140)
Book small hire car now for the week (£150)
Fuel/insurance (£50)
When it is nearer the time find somewhere to stay (£350 ish)
Lift passes (£400 – could be less)
Gear hire (£150)

Total (£1240)

Food you would have bought at home anyway.

Simples!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Just booked an apartment through the Tignes website in val claret

good move - there are generally no savings to be made on last minute booking of apartments, and certainly none on airfares. the whole "last minute bargain" business relates to UK package tour operators.
snow report
Cheers for all this info guys (and girls)

I'll have a quick look around the interweb
snow conditions
2 people wanted to fill fully catered chalet 7th-14th March in Morzine

We are a group of 4 young couples, 3 of us have young children who are coming along (4 children in total), so you'd have to be child friendly.....but they are all gorgeous and well behaved.

It's chalet belle through treeline chalets and the room were offering is a double/twin (up to you) with ensuite.

The cost would be £435pp which is ridiculously cheap for fully catered......

We are all friendly, a mixture of boarders and skiers....total foodies! We want some relaxed, fun and friendly people to fill our spare room!
👍😀
Thanks!
Sally
snow conditions
@Timg60, would they be in the Borsat? If so it would be good to hear what they are like. We nearly booked there last week, but didn't. They don't get a good write up on trip advisor, but we were ignoring that anyway. Do tell when you get home please.
ski holidays
You would get ski/in out in Italy for that budget as @DJL, said do it through Geneva and get your self to Aosta Valley for a great time. We like Pila but maybe too small for you. We also tend to go out on Sunday and back Saturday thus missing the crowds of locals.
snow conditions
Booked last minute to La Thuile last year for that week and got great price.
Have a look at what you can source leaving this coming weekend (7th Feb). Chances are you'll have similar choice for similar money for 7th March departure - perhaps even slightly cheaper.
Some great value deals flying from Dublin to Austria this weekend for approx. €500 on half board basis so you should be able to get similar from UK for £380-£450. Obviously, waiting until last minute you have to be flexible but the advantage is you can keep an eye on snow conditions/forecast.
Après ski wise, mountain restaurants, etc. Italy/Austria generally cheaper than France.
latest report
NE1 wrote:
@Timg60, would they be in the Borsat? If so it would be good to hear what they are like. We nearly booked there last week, but didn't. They don't get a good write up on trip advisor, but we were ignoring that anyway. Do tell when you get home please.

No not the Borsat though I do know them. Very good location. Usually full of students and groups of lads 4 in a studio.....
Perfect for what they are but basic.
Used to be one of the cheapest options for tignes back in my holiday selling days.

We are in the curling apartments and its a private rental. Pictures look good but who knows. Nice and central and on the 10th floor so hopefully quiet. Will post a report when I get back. But TBH for £200 each with 2 seperate bedrooms I cant complain.
ski holidays
Anyone waiting to book 14th Feb half term?
Been given leave and thinking may go if I can find a bargain, well the same price as non half term...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy