Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Returning to ski-ing no idea which skis to rent!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there. Newbie on the board.

After a long break I will be ski-ing again in a couple of weeks time.

Wife and kids put paid to my fun in the snow which ended 12 years ago. Now the kids are old enough I'm taking them on their first trip - to Flaine.

We're all looking forward to the trip and have been to the local indoor ski centre to prepare ourselves. A bit older and fatter, but I picked it up again no problem. Thankfully the kids are enjoying it too. Skis don't look the same anymore though.......

20 years of spending every winter weekend on the Scottish slopes and many holidays spent in the Alps meant I was an accomplished, aggressive skier comfortable on and off piste in all conditions and all slopes. I always bought and used slalom race skis which suited my style perfectly.

Obviously I wont be as accomplished or aggressive as I was 12 years ago, but I do want to make sure I get a ski which is happy in on piste slalom mode.

I've had a look around the internet but am simply bamboozled by the complexity of skis these days and wondered if people could recommend some actual skis which I can then reference to the hire shop when I get to Flaine?

All the skis I've seen recently seem far too fat and wobbly to be of any use in anything but 3 feet of powder. Certainly the skis in the indoor centre are, but I'm assuming that people do still ski on piste so hopefully there is a model for me somewhere!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Choose a rental shop with a good quality selection and you should have some fun trying out different skis...

I too learnt years ago with rear entry boots and skis abpve your head height... And on a plastic ski slope. Mercy.

After many years break, was very surprised how much easier the new 'carving' skis were to use - it's like they were designed to turn or something wink

1. Find a good, 'modern' , ski instructor - you probably still feel like you have to 'bend ze knees' ie keep weight way forward on the boot tongues and 'force' the skis to turn/ bend whereas happily now you should be more balanced and centred and enjoying the easier turning skis - a couple of half days private lesson would be great if you can to appreciate the changes...

2. My last trip to Whistler it did seem like everyone was using very wide underfoot skis - apparently everyone nowadays skis off-piste despite the actual psites seeming to still have people on them! Never mind that - you should enjoy the carvng type of ski on piste first, so nowadays can be 165 to 180 maybe, try some out and enjoy it. I'm so retro my skis are 70mm underfoot.. Got them for a steal since everyone was so fixated on the wider skis.

Another newer style has 'rocker' - so although longer than a pure carving ski, the extra rocker length really doesn't get used on psite but helps with floatation off-piste - at least i think that's the idea.

Anyway, don't get pushed into using the really wide stuff straightaway - enjoy some carving.

Ps i didn't really give you any actual ski did i? Atomic are still a big raceing outfit aswell as making skis for offpiste etc, so they do plenty of pure slalom to inbetweeners etc. A good shop or instructor can also listen to what you like and make some suggestions - just try plenty of different sets and styles to see what suits you.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy