Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British ski schools in Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Do they exist? Are there any recommendations?
19 -22 Feb required.
Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't know, but would you not try the Austrian ones? they are very good, and speak English very well
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd particularly like a native English speaker. Details like this can be make or break for girlfriends.

Personally I'd be picking the resort and then the instructor but looking to do it the other way round.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not aware of any 'Brit only' ski schools.

There are MANY that have native Brit instructors (Fürstauer in Saalbach, Arlberg Ski School in St Anton, etc).

There is no need for a Brit instructor as pretty much everyone under 50 who works in tourism in Austria speaks fluent (often better than many natives!) English. Same goes for the Dutch and Scandinavian instructors.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@andybomb1, I'm a native English speaker teaching skiing in Hochfügen, in Zillertal, Austria. The ski school website is http://www.skicheck.at/english/ski-school.php
If you would like more information, give me a shout.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Fun and Pro in Flachau have a young ex GBR youth team racer as an instructor. In fact he is Kooky's son. He was born in the UK and speaks English and German. Highly recommended and he has a lot of return customers requesting him.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Fürstauer in Saalbach

Also Snow Academy and Zink in Saalbach. Last week we had an Irish guest who intended to have ski-school for only one day. She ended up with a class of Brits with a Scottish instructor, employed by Snow Academy, and she enjoyed herself so much that she stuck with ski-school for the whole week.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Most larger resorts will have a multi-national ski school. It is important to ask for a 'British instructor' if this is what you want rather than an 'English speaking instructor'.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 23-01-15 10:10; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@clarky999, has hit the nail on the head really!
You will not be given a non-English speaking instructor if you have booked a lesson in English.
The level of English is normally excellent.
IMO this is a stress to do without... pick your resort and go from there like you would prefer.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@flangesax, you speak pretty good English yourself too wink

Now if anyone wants accommodation and meals provided by their instructor..... Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi guys

I totally agree about not needing an English instructor but as my other half had a bad experience it's one thing that is quite easy to take care of and avoid.

My best instructor was a German guy who loved lower league English football.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's not just a language thing, is it? The best ski lessons I've had happen to be with British instructors (BASS Les Gets, Evo2 in Tignes, Easiski and Inside Out. I've had lessons with Austrian and French instructors who speak excellent English but don't give so much detailed technical info and provide such focussed feedback. I've also had a lesson with a French instructor who spoke exquisite English but gave me no useful input at all.

I do take a few private lessons with local French instructors I know, who are pretty good, very friendly and helpful (and I speak enough French, and they speak enough English, so that we can s'entendre bien) but still not the same level of technical input/feedback.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Andybomb1,

This is my experience, I hope it helps with your planning.

I've been a "never skied before" student with four ski instructors at St Anton, Saalbach and Sankt Johann im Pongau this year and last year in group lessons. Their nationalities were German, English, Scottish and Austrian. I never had to compromise my speed of language or use of words with any of the instructors, their English was (as ever) mostly better than mine. As far as ski instruction quality was concerned, I asked to move to a different group because of my experience with the English instructor as I felt I could learn more in another group.

I'd also maybe look at the native language of the ski instructor is less important than the home countries of the student group (if you're going for group lessons), whilst respecting there's an unknown experience your girlfriend had that's driving this discussion, which easily manageable if you go for resorts that are popular with the brits. St Anton and Saalbach were overwhelmingly British groups, Sank Johannim Paongau were mainly US groups.

Keith
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tatman's Tours wrote:
Quote:

Fürstauer in Saalbach

Also Snow Academy and Zink in Saalbach. Last week we had an Irish guest who intended to have ski-school for only one day. She ended up with a class of Brits with a Scottish instructor, employed by Snow Academy, and she enjoyed herself so much that she stuck with ski-school for the whole week.
the ski school in hinterglemm had a guy called Andy who was brilliant. He's getting on a bit (sorry if you're reading this mate!) but he was excellent - at snow and fun I think.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The best instruction I have received is from locals. They have just so much experience and will often have skied to a higher level than brits so I don't think you can generalise.

I've found that brits can give more technical background explanations in English as they are using their native language. However, I've realised I really don't need the theoretical explanations. Adults including myself tend to analyse the reasons why you should be doing something too much. You just need to know what you are doing wrong, what to correct and how. I don't need to know why which I've found brits are better at explaining. Too much info which distracts from what you should be doing. I've found locals are actually better at improving my skiing which is ultimately what matters. Going through a phase of having the theory explained by brits did help though as I can more easily pick up what locals are telling me when there are language differences. I've found a mix of brits and locals works well. Skiing is skiing. It's all the same stuff regardless of nationality. However I can understand how a brit could get hung up on having a brit instructor so if someone has a mental block about needing a brit instructor then a brit instructor would be better. You are missing out on top quality local instructors though. It's not the nationality that matters, just whether they are a good instructor or not.
snow report
Everyone learns differently, don't listen to one person who says they like watching as the next person may need to be given a full detailed description of what they did wrong before they can process it and change, it's called Learning styles... go read a basi book for some further insight Shocked

Also TTT your xenophobia is funny... things like
Quote:

I've found locals are actually better at improving my skiing which is ultimately what matters

Quote:

Going through a phase of having the theory explained by brits

Quote:

You are missing out on top quality local instructors though

Followed by
Quote:

It's not the nationality that matters, just whether they are a good instructor or not

Lol
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
It's not just a language thing, is it? The best ski lessons I've had happen to be with British instructors (BASS Les Gets, Evo2 in Tignes, Easiski and Inside Out. I've had lessons with Austrian and French instructors who speak excellent English but don't give so much detailed technical info and provide such focussed feedback. I've also had a lesson with a French instructor who spoke exquisite English but gave me no useful input at all.

I do take a few private lessons with local French instructors I know, who are pretty good, very friendly and helpful (and I speak enough French, and they speak enough English, so that we can s'entendre bien) but still not the same level of technical input/feedback.

Spot on Pam. I find that the analogies a native British speaker is able to use get the message across much better than I've ever received from fluent foreign instructors. In my experience British instructors have been much better able to get the message across of what they want me to focus on.
latest report
@geeo, I've read it and I know and see we all have different learning styles. I would say I was very analytical at the start but it doesn't really help. Some people need to know why you do something before they will accept and process info. However, I've realised all the fluff that you get from Brit instructors does not actually help improve your skiing so I just do what I'm told now and don't question it which I find more effective so you can change your learning style.
I find it best to adapt to the instructor rather than resist change. Go read the manual as there seems to be some bits you missed Happy

There is naturally a lot of middle class daily fail island mentality attitudes on SHs. I don't think it hurts to have prevailing misconceived attitudes challenged and they deserve some mocking Happy.

I've also found local instructors are also better value. I did myself use to seek out Brit instructors but people are missing out if they exclude a good local instructor just because they happen not to be British. You get more theoretical blah, blah from Brits but after a while you realise it is just marketing. Brits will talk a better game than locals because it is their native language but when I think back it is locals who have actually most improved my skiing. If people lose out because of their prejudices it is there problem not mine. Up to them.
ski holidays
geeo wrote:
Everyone learns differently, don'then go on to suggeststen to one person who says they like watching as the next person may need to be given a full detailed description of what they did wrong before they can process it and change, it's called Learning styles... go read a basi book for some further insight Shocked

Also TTT your xenophobia is funny... things like
Quote:

I've found locals are actually better at improving my skiing which is ultimately what matters

Quote:

Going through a phase of having the theory explained by brits

Quote:

You are missing out on top quality local instructors though

Followed by
Quote:

It's not the nationality that matters, just whether they are a good instructor or not

Lol

Despite stating everyone learns differently, which is perfectly correct, you then go on to suggest reading a basi book will be benificial for further insight..perhaps its worth remembering that everything does not revolve around basi?
snow report
wink I suspect some of those pesky local instructors may just know a thing or 2 about skiing. The ignorance and arrogance of some brits never ceases to amaze me.
latest report
Quote:

Despite stating everyone learns differently, which is perfectly correct, you then go on to suggest reading a basi book will be benificial for further insight..perhaps its worth remembering that everything does not revolve around basi?

Er first off the book actually covers different learning styles which is pretty pertinent to my point that reading it would help unless you know all there is to know, and who cares if basi wrote it the learning style section is all just summary of other peoples studies into how people learn with lots of references to studies that have nothing to do with skiing but ...you guessed it how people learn Shocked
Where did I say basi was the only way people should teach or learn skiing??

second this was a bit of a joke for TTT who dearly loves BASI as you would know if you read some of her/his posts.
snow conditions
Quote:

I suspect some of those pesky local instructors may just know a thing or 2 about skiing. The ignorance and arrogance of some brits never ceases to amaze me.

Ok so you know all there is to know about learning styles of course you do, you possess such stellar knowledge of everything else you post about how silly of me to even suggest you gain further understanding by reading a BASI book, you are so clever you got the hidden message in my post that BASI is the king of skiing and everyone must follow what they say.

The ignorance and arrogance of some asshøles never ceases to amaze me NehNeh

Edited for this gem of irony

Quote:
If people lose out because of their prejudices it is there problem not mine. Up to them.
ski holidays
@geeo, what is your problem. You seem very excitable. I agree with you that the BASI manual is worth reading. I've read it and done plenty of courses so familiar with concept of different learning styles. The other BASI comment came from someone else - some brits do act like we invented skiing and ski technique and are the best in the world. We did not and we are not. I merely suggested that it is good not to dismiss using local instructors. My experience is that some are better than Brit instructors given their very high experience and training. Seems some people have difficulty changing and grasping new ideas as advocated in the basi manual.
snow report
nice thread derail
OP wanted a brit skischool for GF, which I read as beginner/refresher level, and it ends up a discussion about tuition from anyone less skilled than Marcel Hirscher is wasted money, and a detailed university level study of the BASI training manual an technique?
Puzzled

I'd have suggested what scarpa posted.
snow report
There are basically no brit ski schools in Austria becasue it is a lot harder to set a ski school up than in France. There will be some brits who work in various Brit ski schools so would just decide resort and ask. There are also brits who do courses in Austria but they can only do that for the occaisional week if they bring own customers room UK.
snow report
TTT wrote:
all the fluff that you get from Brit instructors

Any snowHead on here who's had a lesson with Easiski will be Laughing Laughing Laughing at that!

And, although I don't know a British ski school in Austria, here's one with a good old British name! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

There are basically no brit ski schools in Austria becasue it is a lot harder to set a ski school up than in France. There will be some brits who work in various Brit ski schools so would just decide resort and ask. There are also brits who do courses in Austria but they can only do that for the occaisional week if they bring own customers room UK.

Although it is not easy to open a ski school in Austria (or anywhere else for that matter) there might be other reasons why there are no 'British' ski schools in Austria;

- The market might already be saturated - for example, Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang has 14 ski & boarding schools,
- There are comparatively few British guests in Austrian resorts compared to the numbers in French resorts, making a 'British' ski school less viable,
- These guests are already well-catered for by the many native-British instructors working in Austrian ski schools, or by the excellent English-language skills of the Austrian, Dutch and Scandinavian instructors, and are happy with the teaching approach of these schools and instructors

Quote:

The best instruction I have received is from locals. They have just so much experience and will often have skied to a higher level than brits so I don't think you can generalise.

TTT, your posts are full of generalisations regarding the perceived superior skills of 'locals' and the 'fluff' offered by British instructors. Not only do different people learn in different ways; the best instructors also teach in different ways according to the particular student's preferences - i.e. they find a way to teach the student rather than 'teach the lesson'. Guests also have different reasons for taking lessons. Some want to have a very technical lesson; others want to improve whilst having an enjoyable and safe holiday on the mountain, and for whom a week of drills, repetition and boot camp-style instruction are the last thing that they want.
snow conditions
Quote:

Any snowHead on here who's had a lesson with Easiski will be Laughing Laughing Laughing at that!

Aye......
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@quinton, I would not disagree with any of that. The prevailing view on SHs seems to be you are better off with a Brit instructor than a local instructor which is a ridiculous generalisation. There are some very good local instructors in the most successful skiing countries in the world who offer a variety of different products. I want the best instruction regardless of nationality so would ask for the best instructor /ski school in a resort which may or may not happen to be a Brit. My experience is that there are locals who are better than any Brit I've been with so would not exclude using a non Brit instructor. I find it bizarre that such a statement of the blindingly obvious should be in anyway controversial.
ski holidays
geeo wrote:
Quote:

Er first off the book actually covers different learning styles which is pretty pertinent to my point that reading it would help unless you know all there is to know, and who cares if basi wrote it the learning style section is all just summary of other peoples studies into how people learn with lots of references to studies that have nothing to do with skiing but ...you guessed it how people learn Shocked
Where did I say basi was the only way people should teach or learn skiing??

second this was a bit of a joke for TTT who dearly loves BASI as you would know if you read some of her/his posts.

Blimmey...this all got a bit animated.

My point is you only mention a book produced by BASI, and mention it covers learning styles....as if no other book exists or no other book is so forward thinking to have included learning styles.

Have you read any other books on skiing instruction other than BASI? Hopefully you are aware that there is life outside BASI? It's a bit like the GB Highway Code, everyone reads it, passes test and generally never reads it again. However when about to drive abroad, how many people actually read up on the equivalent publication regarding the country they will be driving in?

Personally, I do not know any BASI qualified instructors working in any ski resort in The Alps....I expect there are some somewhere, but I do not personally know of any. So with this in mind I wonder, is it worthwhile obtaining a BASI qualification? Perhaps this is not a question for this thread though.

Returning to the point in question, selection of an instructor is very personal to the learners needs. They may have preferences and preconceptions which will sway their decision. I suspect you are more likely to find a British ski instructor working in The Alps to have qualified through the local structure, just as the locals will have. The standard of instruction in the qualification process will have been examined to the same standard irrespective of the origins of the instructor, in the language permitted by the authority testing the instructors (eg in Austria examinations are carried out in Deutsch) Once qualified, it is then down to the instructor how they pass information to their students, and in any language, some make a better job of it than others.

So the learner needs to weigh up what is important to them. On the one side they may understand everything a British instructor says but that instructor may not have the experience of a local instructor (who may have been born with skis on) whose manner of putting a point across verbally may not be so clear.

I will apologise if this upsets anyone, but if someone asks for opinions in any forum, not everyone will agree or have the same opinions, we all have to accept that....sadly some cannot.
ski holidays
There do seem to be some SHs who get very excited and aggressive if you dare to present a different perspective to their own experience. Perhaps they would be better off sticking to reading the Daily Fail which business model is based on pandering to these limited views of the world.
snow report
TTT wrote:
@quinton, I would not disagree with any of that. The prevailing view on SHs seems to be you are better off with a Brit instructor than a local instructor which is a ridiculous generalisation. There are some very good local instructors in the most successful skiing countries in the world who offer a variety of different products. I want the best instruction regardless of nationality so would ask for the best instructor /ski school in a resort which may or may not happen to be a Brit. My experience is that there are locals who are better than any Brit I've been with so would not exclude using a non Brit instructor. I find it bizarre that such a statement of the blindingly obvious should be in anyway controversial.

Hang on, what? This is perhaps the most ridiculous example of a straw man argument I've seen on here.

You've just lumped almost all of snowheads into a cosy little opinion that you feel you can rail against. When actually its nothing of the sort. If you actually look there are plenty of people who will say how fantastic a time they've had with local instructors.

In the same vein, some people also prefer to get their instruction from someone with a native British tongue.

There is no "prevailing view" other than in your mind in order to create an argument against it. Bizarre.
snow report
You'll even find some welsh speaking instryctors within the ski a made area. They're very good too.
ski holidays
Quote:

The prevailing view on SHs seems to be you are better off with a Brit instructor than a local instructor which is a ridiculous generalisation

there's a chap who knows a thing or two about ridiculous generalisations...... wink
snow report
Goodness, this is a fun read.

TTT, my son is a local (lived here since he was 3)a Brit and halfway through his Austrian D-trainer license, I wonder how "fluffy" he is Puzzled wink
snow conditions
Quote:

Personally, I do not know any BASI qualified instructors working in any ski resort in The Alps....I expect there are some somewhere, but I do not personally know of any. So with this in mind I wonder, is it worthwhile obtaining a BASI qualification? Perhaps this is not a question for this thread though.

You need to get out more. There are thousands of BASI qualified instructors working throughout the Alps.
ski holidays
TTT wrote:
Perhaps they would be better off sticking to reading the Daily Fail

No idea what this has to do with the price of fish. Or ski tuition for that matter. I'd guess that the right wingers on here would read the Telegraph Puzzled and look down their noses at the Mail as much as you do.

(Independent reader, before you ask.)
ski holidays
I'll think i'll pip in with a word or 2 about learning styles....
I'm a qualified secondary school teacher (music specialist)... been there and done that...
I'm a qualified EFL teacher... been there and done/sometimes doing that...
I'm a qualified ski teacher... still here and doing that...

Learning styles can be identified by a book but the adaptive teaching style comes from experience.
Teaching and learning is its own whole ball-game. Not something to be scoffed at and certainly not something that can be covered by a book.
Hours and hours of experience (1,000 kids a week helps) along with professional development and criticism.

Basi or no basi, teaching and learning is it's own specialism irrespective of what the subject matter may be.
snow report
stevomcd wrote:
Quote:

You need to get out more. There are thousands of BASI qualified instructors working throughout the Alps.

Did you read this fact in a book? Toofy Grin

Not sure why I would need to follow your advice and get out more, thanks anyway.

I cannot explain why I haven't met any BASI qualified instructors in all the time I have skied and worked in the mountains, maybe it's because I have never worked in the UK?

(is this 'here we go again' because someone cannot accept another person's view or observation?)
snow report
There are a lot of people on SH who have a very narrow minded British perspective as demonstrated by the threads on Simon Butler, SCGB, hosting, TOs, British Instructors and so many others. Perhaps if more brits could be bothered to learn a foreign language to the same degree that continentals learn English then the inland mentality would not be so pervasive on here.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy