Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Poles

Poster: A snowHead
What do you look for when buying ski poles?

There seems to be a lot of choice and a variety of price points and with sale prices I've found poles by plenty of reuptable brands for as low as £17

However there doesn't seem to be much to decipher between them and all seem a lot cheaper (and lighter) than my walking poles.

I'm half tempted to pick a pretty pair and choose that way!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Many alloy poles are the same but with different graphics lol
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I'm half tempted to pick a pretty pair and choose that way!

Quote:

for as low as £17

+1

Though frankly I couldn't give a t0ss what my poles look like, as long as they're cheap and more or less the right length - I may be shot down in flames here, but as far as I'm concerned a pole is pole is a pole Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

as far as I'm concerned a pole is pole is a pole

+1 I have been using an incredibly ancient pair which came bundled with a pair of vintage skis in a house sale (the skis being now on the wall of the apartment). There's nothing wrong with them but they are tatty and I don't like the colour so when I bought some new skis from glissshop I got a new, prettier, pair for about £15. I can't see any reason to spend more, personally and I do the sort of skiing which means that if a pole broke I would carry it carefully to the nearest rubbish bin then carry on without it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I do like a certain weight of pole. What that weight is I cant tell you Blush

There is something about the swing in a pole that helps with my pole planting a rhythm. Ive had pole made of different construction in the past, that doesnt fuss me, but IMHO Leki produce some of the finest poles out there, grip and quality are fab, and they always seem to swing right for me.

Or perhaps its just a placebo and I fall for it every time, who knows Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
don't get ones with grips shaped differently for Left and Right hands

pain in the a.. sorting them out each time you get off a lift.

seemed like a good idea at the time
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@andy, never heard of those. Mine just have straps, but I never use them anyway.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pam w, and you shouldn't be using straps off piste which some people forget rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@andy, Many poles have a L/R strap rather than grips, I like the Leki trigger straps that have a left and right strap for your glove that can clip into any pole, much less faff!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I like the Leki trigger straps that have a left and right strap for your glove that can clip into any pole, much less faff!

I tried those and didn't get on with them at all, stuck in the back of a cupboard somewhere. I should get them out and sell them.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@pam w, You should, they are great..... up until the point you need to take your gloves off to have a wee or pick your nose, then they are just a pain! Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well in that case then, has anyone any reccomendations for snazzy ski poles Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Black Crows make the sexiest ski poles.

http://www.black-crows.com/en/categories/1-poles

Also pretty functional. I quite like having a non-collapsible touring pole.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Most definitely, a pole is just a pole. Get whatever's cheap. But poles are all about the basket IMO. It's a bad hair day when one is caught with the wrong basket on one's pole!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Daleybou1234 wrote:
Well in that case then, has anyone any reccomendations for snazzy ski poles Toofy Grin

leki hot shots are the way to go, you know it makes sense....
snow report
@pam w, @PaulC1984, They are Leki, but not the fancy trigger ones. The straps are bog standard nylon straps. The grips themselves have L+R shaped profiling for each hand.
Sure when skiing away from the lift you can slip a hand in each, but 50% of the time you'll want to swap them round, and 100% of the time you check to make sure it's right.

I got the black ones, since they'll go with anything.
ski holidays
@ansta1, not at £83 it doesn't wink
ski holidays
@PaulC1984, I always found it a faff to detach the poles from the gloves to get onto a lift. And I am now used to skiing without any straps and wouldn't like to feel so firmly attached to my poles (yes, I know they are supposed to detach, but mine never seemed to want to). A friend hurt his hand uite badly when he fell using straps (on piste) and that, together with the fact that one of the straps on my ancient poles had lost its clip, saw me give them up altogether.

And before anyone says it, I do know how to wear straps. wink
snow conditions
@Daleybou1234, £83 is cheap for the Hot Shots, @ansta1, your just a pi$$ head Toofy Grin

@pam w, I know what you mean about wrist injuries, seen it happen loads!
ski holidays
@PaulC1984, indeed. I even bought my wife a pair just to make sure we don't run out of drinkiepooos. Hasn't got to the stage of replacing the juniors poles just yet Smile
ski holidays
@ansta1, PMSL, junior having them - its like they are your drug mules Happy
ski holidays
I do prefer brightly coloured poles, makes it less likely that someone will grab them by mistake and also makes them easier to spot after powder face plants Laughing
latest report
PaulC1984 wrote:
@pam w, and you shouldn't be using straps off piste which some people forget rolling eyes

i get so tired of people parroting this rolling eyes
ski holidays
@Arno, why? seems sense to me. i go to pull my abs and poles are in the way.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy