Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Great wee video from Glencoe

Poster: A snowHead
Hope this is right, I'm thinking you can just copy and paste the link, but no doubt a techy person will come over and do it properly.

Glencoe Speedflying from gordie
http://vimeo.com/117350159
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh it worked perfectly, go me!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Are you sure that's entirely safe for the non-participants? Nice looking day though Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was terrified approaching the cliffhanger , nice vid though. snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name wrote:
Are you sure that's entirely safe for the non-participants? Nice looking day though Happy

When speed flying started out there were internet threads of where was banning it. Now there are internet threads of where is allowing it. It's pretty much banned from all pisted areas now, from what I believe. It does does look fantastic though.

If you thought that one was scary, try this one on the north face of the Eiger.

http://youtube.com/v/Ut1kGmOhzWQ
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Looks like great fun..... if you stay away from lift cables, gondolas,cable cars etc.... Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
c44rver wrote:
Looks like great fun..... if you stay away from lift cables, gondolas,cable cars etc.... Smile

http://youtube.com/v/-_to0RJF2-A
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I thought this was something else altogether. Embarassed
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thecramps wrote:
I thought this was something else altogether. Embarassed

Yellow snow? Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@cameronphillips2000, I remember seeing that Eiger vid when it was first posted (I can't believe 8 years ago!!) and sending it to a chum who does a lot of flying of all shapes and sizes, he'd just bought his first speed-riding wing.

I didn't want to be too critical as it's so difficult to judge speed, altitude and distance on a dodgy old go-pro video - and it's not at all clear how much prep went into the flight - but it rather looked to me as though the flyer was pretty close to a few ridges that could easily have masked skiers/climbers and seemed quite close to "pistes" - particularly as Glencoe doesn't really do "pistes" - at least, it didn't when I skied there in my youth.

As I say, wasn't there, details not clear, "all fun and games until someone loses an eye"*

(Being also an excellently funny Chris Brookmyre book)

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 22-01-15 12:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yep- stay away from pistes- one person appeared to duck out of the way- looks v. irresponsible to me - could cause a VERY nasty accident to any skier or boarder en- route. Crying or Very sad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
@cameronphillips2000, I remember seeing that Eiger vid when it was first posted (I can't believe 8 years ago!!) and sending it to a chum who does a lot of flying of all shapes and sizes, he'd just bought his first speed-riding wing.

I didn't want to be too critical as it's so difficult to judge speed, altitude and distance on a dodgy old go-pro video - and it's not at all clear how much prep went into the flight - but it rather looked to me as though the flyer was pretty close to a few ridges that could easily have masked skiers/climbers and seemed quite close to "pistes" - particularly as Glencoe doesn't really do "pistes" - at least, it didn't when I skied there in my youth.

As I say, wasn't there, details not clear, "all fun and games until someone loses an eye"*

(Being also an excellently funny Chris Brookmyre book)

I used to fly paramotors when this came out and, being a skier, it seemed a natural thing for me to get into. The speeds, however, are very high. It's nearer to wingsuiting than paragliding. There have been a lot of accidents - quite a few fatalities unfortunately and you can see why. I think the problem too is that you're flying with the wing very close to the mountain and all the inevitable dodgy air/rotor you get from ridges etc. That said, the speed of the speed of the wing probably gives it better collapse resistance than a paraglider.

The problem with flying so quickly and so low, however, is the very very short recovery time/distance for errors/unpredictable events. I don't think I'd be happy if someone was doing it down a slope that my kids were skiing on.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I don't think I'd be happy if someone was doing it down a slope

Quite.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

I don't think I'd be happy if someone was doing it down a slope

Quite.

Must be almost impossible to get third party insurance. I'm also not sure how it fits in with CAA laws about not flying within 500ft of anything/anybody unless ridge soaring

Loved watching the vid though. The shadow shots are great as they show the minimal brake input required compared to paragliding.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not the amber shower stuff I was expecting.
ski holidays
Ah,

Chris Brookmyre.

Excellent writer.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy