Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jacket fit

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So, my new jacket arrived.
But how should it fit? It seems spacey enough on the arms and body, but the waistband of it is 'snug'. Well, it doesn't feel too tight, and I was worried it might 'ride up' but it has like a sticky strip on the waistband which seems to hold it in place.

Not really sure of my question actually. Just what should a jacket fit like?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends on your preference for layering..... If you want multiple thermal layers on underneath then it should be roomy.... Although it seems to be the current trend is for more athletic fitting jackets.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How many layers do most people wear? I have some thermals from mountain warehouse, so they are very thin - I truly don't know how many layers I'll need as it's the first time I'm going skiing. In 2 weeks if that makes a difference to the temperature?

Also, does anyone know the difference between normal fleece and micro-fleece? Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do you feel the cold normally? Do you do any other kind of exercise which would give you an indication of how warm you get whilst doing exercise?

The difference in fleece is the size of the pile.... Larger the pile, warmer the garment Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Does your new jacket have any insulation (does it feel a bit "padded")? Take this into account. Underneath you will want a base layer (merino wool is usually cited as being the warmest) a mid layer, like a fleece half-zip jumper, not too thick and bulky. These are not expensive, so buy a couple and you can wear both if it's really cold.

By really cold, I mean -15, -20 or below, though you may get a bit chilly in lessons because there's a bit of standing around. If you have a small backpack, you can add or take off layers as you need to. Don't worry too much, it will take a couple of days to work out what layers you need - everyone is different and it depends on the weather, too. If it is warm and sunny, you may not need a mid layer.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Happy

I have just tried on thermals (not merino but will buy some of that as well, didn't realise what it was although I've seen adverts) with ski pants and a t shirt and thin fleece with jacket and actually, what I thought might be tight earlier seems lovely and well fit now. I can crouch down etc without it riding up which was my main concern really - I'm quite tall so often tops ride up, but it doesn't seem to be the case here.

The jacket is insulated yes - it's a Billabong jacket with these (main) specs - 100% Twill Mossor/Poly Twill outer
10,000mm waterproofing
10,000g breathability
PFOA & PFC-free DWR water-repellent coating
Leightweight insulation

So hopefully it'll be alright?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That jacket sounds fine. Enjoy your first ski trip. Let us know how you get on.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sounds good, but I would forget the t-shirt if it's just a normal cotton one - if you sweat and it gets damp, it will make you cold.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@JanieS, when you say 'waistband' with a 'silicon gripper' do you mean a flap of material with a couple of poppers at the front" if so this is designed to fit snugly around your waist/hips/upper bum to stop cold air and snow being whooshed up under your jacket.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks guys - yes that's right @rogg, now I think about it, I think that's what feels 'snug' - it's not the waistband of the actual jacket at all!

I will be sure to report back on the trip of course! You've all be so helpful to me - I'll be asking a few more questions before I go though no doubt Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Would that be the 'Removable waist gaiter' @rogg?

Just taken that off the specs on the website where I bought the jacket, but it sure isn't removable? Not that I wish to remove it, but just curious.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@JanieS, they often are removable, but if you're comfortable in the jacket anyway, I wouldn't worry. But @Scarlet is right about cotton T shirts. Not a good idea. Merino base layers can be good but they are pretty expensive and some can be itchy (especially the least expensive ones).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@JanieS, it's usually referred to as a "snow skirt", but maybe their marketing people decided it was too feminine!

I got most of my Helly Hansen merino base layers from Sports Direct - they sell off all the weird (bright) colours for £10-£15, so I have bright orange, bright pink, bright blue... You can't see them so it doesn't matter.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JanieS, yup, it's probably held on by a long zip. I'd keep it on, they really can keep a breeze at bay if nothing else. 'Waist gator', 'Snow skirt', 'Powder skirt' all refer to the flappy bit.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy