Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboard Boots for wide feet

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Just about to go on my 5th week away, having used hire boots all the time.

As I have stupid wide and flat feet they cause me pain most of the time, so I thought now would be the time to buy my own!

Any reccomendations on wide boots - My Feet are EE width.

I had custom insoles heat molded (sidas) a couple of years ago and they helped a little bit, not as much as I would like however.

I always tend to have really bad heel lift for some reason, which I think compounds the problem and causes searing pain on the soles of my feet.

Does anyone have any advice?

I have heard that ThirtyTwo boots are generally quite wide? Maybe the lashed?

Also looked at Salomon Launch?

Thanks

Danny
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to SH
Know that Burton and Salomon do specific 'Wide' editions of some boots. IIRC, DC boots are known for a wider fit. I'm the opposite, narrow feet, so not researched this one much...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry, can't help with any info on the boots but this:
Quote:
I always tend to have really bad heel lift for some reason, which I think compounds the problem and causes searing pain on the soles of my feet
sounds like tight calf muscles.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have some wide japan boots to move on if interested let me know your sizing here or by PM.

Take zero g,s advice and stretch the lower leg chain it will save you a fortune in incorrect boot sizing and further frustration on trips.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There are a few ski boot fitters who also fit snowboard boots but they can only do this with specific models from certain brands. They should be able to stretch the toe box of the boot to accommodate the extra width you need.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Another very valid point from solutions4feet is a lack of flexion can twist or contort the foot in the boot .
The rider does not know this is happening but feels this foot twisting as pressure on the sides of his foot..... but incorrectly reads it as a boot that is too narrow .

Nothing is in isolation.
You may still have a wider forefoot in relation too foot lenght as well as a narrow liner/boot shell and a lack of flexion..... then add a oversized boot purchased to gain forefoot width and its a total mess no salesman will ever analyse.
I had 12 pairs sold to myself this way in as many years using the lucky dip shop salesman method although I was very naïve .

With bootfit analysis you have to listen too serious players in the trade they see 100,s of punters with similar issues and have reputations to protect.
A young 20-30 year old snowboard boot salesman can know far less than the rider buying the boots and have less total ride time under his belt than a committed rider gets in one season.
I am very critical of snowboard boot salesman they are generally a bit of a joke although some in the ellis brigham chain seem to have really lifted there bootfitting game in recent years .

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 21-01-15 2:57; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Second the comment on snowboard boot salesmen being rubbish. Absolutely no understanding or knowledge of feet or legs in any way shape or form compared to even the most basic of ski boot fitters.

One thing my physio said to me was to not have a new pair of boots heat-moulded in store and to pack them out by riding in them instead. So far, excellent advice. Likewise to get a pair of lace-ups instead of boa so you can make them tight where you need them to be and not what the boa system wants to do.

Also thirding the suggestion from Zero G that you have tight calves. I suffer with that and short achilles, and find 4-5 gym sessions a week and about 15 mins worth of stretching a day to help keep them workable. That, along with proper arch support and not getting my boots heat moulded has helped eliminate heel lift so far for me. Also, stretch before going out - even if it's just touching your toes for a while it helps. The balls of my feet still hurt a fair amount, but nowhere near as bad as it used to be.

FWIW, I've got wide(ish) feet and my current boots are lace up Nike Vapens. They're pretty comfortable Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm going to disagree about the Boas - I will grant you it is easy to get it wrong and get them over-tight in one are or too loose in another, but I've been riding them for nearly 10 years now and even on a single reel system you can adjust where the system tightens by applying a bit of leaning pressure when you're winding them up.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
TBF they were some pretty pathetic boas on my first boots, so perhaps my judgement is clouded Wink

I'd still say that if the OP is having issues with random sore bits and heel lift then it's better to stick with lace-ups and focus on perfecting the comfort levels with those before trying to replicate it with boas. Back to basics and all that, especially when us boarders have such crap advice available for boot buying and the OP's already getting pain from hire boots.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
dannyd4315, I was at my bootfitter this arvo and asked them. The widest boot they stock is the Deeluxe Vicious (but they only stock snowboard boots that they can mould and fit, so their range is limited).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Go into a shop with a wide variety of boots and try as many as you can on.
A few years ago when I got mine I was dead set on a pair of 32 Lashed, I ended up with a pair of Northwave Legends and they are the most comfy boots I have ever worn! Foot ache instantly gone!
I may have just been lucky but I found the staff at TSA Tamworth really helpful and patient as I tried their entire range..... I did get mine heat-moulded in-store.
Bottom line is everyone's feet are different so what I might recommend may not suit you at all. Set aside an afternoon and get trying Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm guessing Zero G's bootfitter is the same as mine...

I have wide feet and have had a lot of foot pain issues over the years. Got sorted first with a pair of Deelux Sparks which were widened to suit my feet, then currently with a set of Salamon Malamutes, which I'm really surprised about. I think their last has changed as whenever I've tried them before I literally haven't been able to get my feet into them. Now the best boots I've ever had. Custom insole, then heat-moulded in the shop.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
spot on advice, thanks guys! Headed to Hemel on Saturday for a ride before I head out to Courchevel, going to nip over to Absolute snow to try some boots on, hopefully will get somewhere!! Heard the Nikes were not that wide, best way is to try them on I suppose!

Everywhere I have read says to get the liners heat moulded in store rather than letting them pack out though?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Broadly speaking, Burton and 32 have a reputation for being wide... Neither would be my first choice for a quality boot though...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you've never been to Absolute Snow before it's not a normal shop. More like Screwfix than B&Q. You can try stuff on though.

I had my last boots heat molded and they hurt like hell. I didn't bother with my current pair and they are comfy as slippers. To my mind heat moulding just accelerates packing out.
ski holidays
Thanks, would you recommend not going there for boots then?

Probably won't get them moulded there, will see how they are after a couple of days in courchevel, I would imagine that I could get them moulded out there if I need to?

Anyone have any thoughts on Salomon synapse for all mountain riding?
ski holidays
Tend to agree with Snow Hound, the heat moulding thing just skips the "wearing them in" or packing out phase. Personally I prefer to do that whilst actually riding rather than assuming the position in store for 10 minutes or so but it really is down to personal preference and how fussy your feet are.

S&R downstairs at Hemel have a decent collection to try on there, and a fair amount of space to stand around, have a walk around the shop in them, etc etc.

The Nikes were wide enough for me, but I am a girl and have wide feet for a girl rather than wide feet for a boy, and there's obviously a lot more choice around for boys. My rubbish first boots were Salomon, so I'm kinda surprised they've come up as being wide in the guys sizes!
ski holidays
Deelux
snow conditions
Cant you be a little more brief after all you don't want too feed the animals too much ?
snow conditions
Ta guys, will give it a shot this weekend and see how I get on....
snow conditions
Disagree on the heat moulding thing. Best to get it done in the shop. If your boots pack out to the point where they're sloppy, your boots are too big.

Salomon are definitely not wide, just wider than they used to be, although they do offer specific wide models.
ski holidays
I love my synapse from a couple of years ago. I'm sure they do a wide version?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy