Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Selfie sticks

Poster: A snowHead
Funny thread Smile

I just want to take some videos to show the kids what I have been up to for the past week. I am not Travis Rice (although I do have his board Very Happy ) and I am not Shaun White but I do want something to remember my one week in the mountains by. Just like I take photos and videos on any holiday. I don't understand why people so bothered about what other people are up to.

The safety aspect is a total red herring. The sort of guy/girl who is unsafe on the mountain is unsafe regardless if they are holding a Go Pro or not.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I find they are a great way to remember the holiday. Photos are ok but you get a better vibe off watching videos. Anyway i'm not sharing with you lot of meanies anyway. You made me cry Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Cool
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Helmet mounts: Radical Unicorns (© Whitelines 2013)

Fair play to GoPro for having got the best skiers, snowboarders and every other action sport hero on the planet using their gear and making admittedly awesome looking footage. It has certainly done the trick in convincing a lot of people that they too can look like that and fork out a lot of money in the process. Oh, the disappointment must be agonising Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Saw a great T-shirt the other day that said 'Go F**k Your selfie!'
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Saw a variation on Go-Pro usage today. Les Arcs, top of Comborciere lift, just about to go down towards Arc 1600. The "cameraman" was wearing a chest harness on backwards so he would be skiing down filming his mate, skiing behind. We were just about to go when we saw them faffing about setting this up, and instantly found an intense interest in the clouds and mountains (i.e. hung around waiting). Faffing over and the little red light was on, filmer starts off. We immediately start and get between them waving about like lunatics. I skied off, passed the guy who was completely oblivious. My two mates continued making some rather dubious gestures, again after a little while skiing off with the chap still completely unaware. Last I saw was the intended star of the show, having at last caught up with his mate demonstrating what had just gone on.

I do hope it makes YouTube Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well done @jamesgurney, you've just ruined someone's video of their friend skiing, which may well have been for instructional purposes.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I must say that I find it desperately sad that some people's idea of fun is to do their best to spoil someone's video. Get a life!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes it can be funny to see some loon in the background waving about BUT some people do use these videos for feedback on technique etc. Also deliberately going in between them is not cool.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
msej449 wrote:
Before the days of action cams, we used to have a 'photo day' when everyone in the group brought along their video and still cameras and we took time out to take panoramas, jump shots etc. Some of these produced very memorable shots that I look back on now with affection. It was understood that this was a form of rest day (actually, usually it was just a couple of hours) when everyone took photos of other people, to be exchanged later.

To my mind, GoPro Teletubby and stick shots have become so ubiquitous that I just get bored, however spectacular the scenery or skiing is. I think they're fine for a part of a video but I'd make a plea for people to try and mix their shots a bit, if they want to elevate their video above the mundane. Try some hand-held shots by someone stationary; some low-level ones with people jumping overhead; some of the surrounding 'furniture' like signposts etc. If the view is good, do a pan with the camera on a level plane, and so on. Even consider some still shots .....

I'm not saying people should turn into film directors. But perhaps take your compact camera along as well and use it to get something different to mix with the GoPro stuff.

I'm sure most people are aware enough to know when sking with one pole outstretched and concentraing on a moving selfie is going to be dangerous, but it's the minority that aren't that concerns me.

^This!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jamesgurney wrote:
Saw a variation on Go-Pro usage today. Les Arcs, top of Comborciere lift, just about to go down towards Arc 1600. The "cameraman" was wearing a chest harness on backwards so he would be skiing down filming his mate, skiing behind. We were just about to go when we saw them faffing about setting this up, and instantly found an intense interest in the clouds and mountains (i.e. hung around waiting). Faffing over and the little red light was on, filmer starts off. We immediately start and get between them waving about like lunatics. I skied off, passed the guy who was completely oblivious. My two mates continued making some rather dubious gestures, again after a little while skiing off with the chap still completely unaware. Last I saw was the intended star of the show, having at last caught up with his mate demonstrating what had just gone on.

I do hope it makes YouTube Twisted Evil

Pretty clear who is the tube here, how self-absorbed do you need to be to spend all that time and effort ruining someone else's fun? What on earth makes you think you have the right? Writing about it here as if it is something to be proud off actually just proves how stupid you are. No one will be impressed. I am sure this attitude has and will take you far in life....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Deadful things for idiots. We're about to import about 3000.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Having looked back at my videos and photos of ski holidays with my family I realised that they're all...of my family. Hardly anything of me and neither of the others were any good with a camera/video camera when they did use them! No doubt I'll take several hours of video if/when I do go, so if anyone wants to behave like a tool, I'll just edit them out!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just got back from Saalbach, where we used a GoPro in various ways, to capture footage of students from our college, to give them something to remember their first ski trip by.

Some of this was on green links...hardly Shaun White, eh?

We will also use the footage to create some kind of promo vid, to recruit new kids to future trips.

That's if we have any suitable footage, given the efforts and attitude of some on here.

Not sure why sick, rad, backcountry powder experts are hanging round cruiser blues, spoiling other people's fun...maaaan!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
What on earth makes you think you have the right?
Ski resorts are, effectively, public places. Whatever your motives for filming, unless you are skiing on your own personal mountain, you have as much right to expect other people to not appear in your frame – whether by accident or design – as everyone else does to expect privacy on the mountain and not be captured in your video that may or many not be plastered over the public internet without their permission.

Quote:
you've just ruined someone's video of their friend skiing, which may well have been for instructional purposes.

Quote:
some people do use these videos for feedback on technique

If you're using these selfies for technique feedback, someone else appearing in the frame is hardly going to change how good or bad your technique is, so it's a specious argument.

Quote:
We will also use the footage to create some kind of promo vid, to recruit new kids to future trips. That's if we have any suitable footage, given the efforts and attitude of some on here.

Yes I can see how that would be a problem because you wouldn't want any potential recruitees to think that people actually have fun on the mountain.

Quote:
Not sure why sick, rad, backcountry powder experts are hanging round cruiser blues, spoiling other people's fun

Not sure who you are referring to but I'd imagine their lift passes allow them to use cruiser blues to get back to the lifts. Or perhaps they're only hanging around purely to ruin your fun because, you know, it's all about you. Oh wait...

Perhaps if everyone removed said selfie sticks from their rear ends there would be a little less butt hurt or sense of humour failure because:
Quote:
Feel free to videobomb me in a nice way. It'll add to the entertainment!

Or you could just:
Quote:
if anyone wants to behave like a tool, I'll just edit them out!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I get the GoPro on a pole idea, what I don't get is putting your iPhone on the end of a stick and skiing around with that. The number of lost phones on pistes will definitely be up this year.

Also not quite selfiesticks, but was in Intersport looking at helmets earlier this week and Giro have jumped on the integrated mount bandwagon: http://www.giro.com/eu_en/edit.html/
ski holidays
albinomountainbadger wrote:
I get the GoPro on a pole idea, what I don't get is putting your iPhone on the end of a stick and skiing around with that.

There are lots of things I don't get. People who snowboard for years without bothering to learn how to do it. Or celebrities. Or GoPro footage with people's heads chopped off. Or people getting deliberately in my frame and expecting no consequences when politely requested to desist, for example.

Ok, I made that last one up - they couldn't possibly get in my frame skiing like that. Even if they learnt how to ride, my spidey sense would spot them well before they were in target range (which is why helmet cameras are hard to use on piste solo).
snow conditions
@Zero_G, - argues case for permission for public use of image yet quotes others without permission!!! Just saying!
latest report
Richienotsorich, public forum. Just saying. But you, sir, are wrong, I'm not arguing for permission for public use of images – go back, read again.
snow conditions
I'll hold my hand up for using a GoPro on a pole last trip. For a couple of runs to get alternative views of a mate boarding and one run of me. Purely for variety for the edited vid.

Regarding safety - I suppose I didn't think about it as I've done many drills holding poles in different ways over the years and I'm quite comfortable skiing like that, or without poles at all. Or carrying equipment, or gate poles etc...
snow report
I do';t have a go pro, but have nothing against gopro vids. Selfie stick gives a better shot than head cam I think.

I think that a few video clips give a better impression of the holiday than photos, plus are mega funny if you stack it while filming.other person stacks it. Very Happy

A few years ago in ADH it dumped it down. We were lapping some nice deep stuff in some trees under a chair lift. I was waiting for my boyfriend and then through the trees pops another snowboarder, holding his white iphone out in front of him. He stacks it, phone flies out of his hand and drops through the powder without a trace! Too funny! He was still there searching for it when we went back round again. snowHead
ski holidays
Haha, came across this thread while looking for reviews of monopods for both GoPro and Cellphones. Definitely wouldn't use a phone mounted on a selfie stick unless it was waterproof and had a pretty good camera on it, but I've used my monopod on mountains myself for sure, of course I only use it on runs that are less crowded.

I like the Smatree Y1 pole so far, great for use with gloves, totally waterproof, very durable too.
http://www.graspmo.com/best-gopro-monopod-smatree-review/
snow conditions
This ^^^ Happy

There is only one use for a selfie stick (with or without lube)......
latest report
The trick with the GoPro is to set it to take a picture every couple of seconds. You can catch some really moments in stills that way and gives another dimension to edit.

If we want to do 'instructional' stuff we send one of us down ahead to stand still while we ski down, its much easier to look at without feeling sick.

I've got a couple of GoPro's for work, and so does the other half, so I also take them out skiing because why not. Part of the fun for us on our mates trip (3 of us work with video) is sitting down in the evening mashing some stuff together. Never really goes much further than our own facebook though, because they are for us to look back on and laugh at, not to force others to endure.
latest report
@Zero_G, quite. Lighten up people.
snow report
Just about to get into the gopro thing this year (after seeing some nice footage from last SHBB).
Also planning a ski tip mount looking back. We shall see how it goes, and you don't need to watch.
ski holidays
Slippery Slope wrote:
I must say that I find it desperately sad that some people's idea of fun is to do their best to spoil someone's video. Get a life!

Yeah, they abuse people for being narcissists and seem completely unaware of their own cuntyness and hateful behaviour. Bizarre.
snow report
I have to confess I bought one earlier this year for a Japan trip we did. Used it once and quite like the 50 secs of film I took when we went back country. I guess that makes me a narcissist!
snow conditions
essex wrote:
Just about to get into the gopro thing this year (after seeing some nice footage from last SHBB).
Also planning a ski tip mount looking back. We shall see how it goes, and you don't need to watch.

So you can take a video of me falling again? Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

So you can take a video of me falling again?

Cool I'd be up for watching that... Toofy Grin
latest report
I have heard some people go on ski holidays , so why not take pictures.

That said you are fair game if I want to pull a moonie.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy