Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kappl, and Ischgl

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ok so we have had our week in the Kappl ischgl area, and for those doing research and perhaps considering it here it goes.
We flew to memmingen airport, simple airport to get out of, and in less than three hours we were in Kappl. We had booked an apartment in kappl so we unloaded our stuff, apartment was really lovely beautiful living room, small kitchen two bedrooms and two bathrooms. A ski boot room that dried and heated your boots, ( bliss).
Next morning we walked a little bit down the road and joined a run that took us to the gondola, it was a great warm up for the morning. The gondola was an old four man affair, but it was fine, no que and it opened at 8.30 so we were up on the mountain with the first gondola, skied to a four man that took us higher and gave a wider variety of skiing and other lifts. None had ques so it was a case of skiing down a run straight onto the chair. At the top there was a lovely long red back to the bottom of the mountain, it was 9 km long so it was worth doing. However we skied just back to the middle station as that was where ski school was. Skiing on the first day was limited because the highest point of the mountain was closed off due to wind after lunch. We had a few blacks and reds to potter about on and that was fine. Second day things were open and as the place wasn't crowded we had great comfort when the girls joined us on the blacks, as we weren't worried about idiots who never bothered learning to turn hitting them from behind. they even got to practice off piste between runs, and did off piste along side a black run the whole way down, lovely soft powder.
There is one run in Kappl that has to be one of the most fun runs to do. It is no 8 and it is like a roller coaster, if you don't get enough speed up while on the steep first bit, there are hills that will slow you down and as the last one is a fairly steep uphill you don't want to have to pole it. The only thing to do is start a schuss well up on the steep and just go for it. I got so much speed on that I scared myself, and the going up and down hills is so much fun. If you go to ischgl try no 8!

,Apres ski in Kappl is very quiet. Still I would recommend it to those who want to build confidence or are skiing with children .
Ischgl we went to Ischgl for two days in the middle of the week. Lots of lifts moving people very fast. However as it is a big resort there are quite a few idiots in the place. The complaints I had heard about lift ques here on snowheads were something I had forgotten about as for the last number of years we have not gone to these big resorts. The lifts were fast though and the more difficult the run the less crowded it was, however the run from the very top down to samnaun was crowded at the top, and one idiot took my 8 year old out, she wasn't turning she was just skiing along the track but said idiot thought he could ski between her and the edge and hit her, promptly skied off before I could catch him. I was watching out for him and his glo in the dark pants and go pro for the rest of the day. After a bit the crowd eased off or we left them behind but we had a good fast spin all the way to samnaun. Got the cable car back up and skied around alpe trida for a while, we didn't use the long chairlift to get back to the Idalp, but a series of others and runs that got us back to where we needed to be,. We skied down the mountain in the evening, again a lot of idiots, the run was icy and it was like skittles, we just stayed to the side and let them on with it. However somehow we took a wrong turn and ended up on a street besice the chapel, not near either of the gondolas so we had a hike. The next day we skied the other side and it was a bit wind blown but nothing too bad. I will certainly go back to Ischgl there is lots or skiing , lots fun and it is a lovely area with fantastic views. Apres ski has been mentioned. We found a great bar just up from the fire and ice, where we went upstairs with the girls, had two beers and a sing song, it was a great wind down to a great days skiing. If we had no kids and were with a group of adults, it would be so much fun, but then we might miss the morning skiing.
Our last day was great, back in Kappl, it had snowed during the night quite a bit, so when we got up the mountain there was a lovely coating of snow even the pisted runs had a lovely deep level of snow on them. As it was so lovely we did a black that started in a funnel, and widened out fairly steep but not hair raising, it was lovely deep snow and we made first tracks that was just great. I would recommend both places .
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Glad you enjoyed it. We were away to kuhtai same week and wished we'd gone back to kappl. Great area
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
were we missing things or did you find an après ski? I know the bar at the gondola had one, BUT we skied to our apartment and it was a hell of a walk to there, and the one evening we went down at about six it was dead as a maggot, rolling eyes it was midweek and out of season but still, there were four local lads sitting there having a pint, we went home and played cards, Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@biddpyat,
Good report and thanks for doing it , glad you enjoyed it.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We were there the same weeks 2 years in a row. Schaffstahl was ok but Schupfa (?) was good fun on a few days ( the bar at the gondola) between 4&7. We got a taxi back a few times. We stayed at the alpenfreiden which is the gasthof just as the piste goes under the road - fantastic place for future reference.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
biddpyat wrote:
...However somehow we took a wrong turn and ended up on a street besice the chapel, not near either of the gondolas so we had a hike...

No use to you now but you would have been more or less looking at the lift that takes you down to the middle of the Dorf tunnel and it's travellator to the Fimbabahn gondola.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
it came out between the huge gondola and the silvertrettasban, I was aiming for that huge fancy one that I could see from me but the piste just ended, lol, never mind it was a run I will avoid in the future, lol, will aim for the area we are parked in. When my husband got back he had taken a different way and ended up skiing right to the bottom of that huge gondola, he said it was steep and icy at the end, and our 8 year old wasn't impressed with all the edging she had to do.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Finding the correct exit's a bit of a nightmare, as it #1 splits quite a few times when it gets back to town.

We've stayed at the same hotel that's 25m from one of the home runs...and at least once a trip we've ended up with a short walk having missed the turn Embarassed
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ha ha, then you feel like a real muppett,. My daughter ( 10) and I just took off our skis and acted like it was exactly where we were supposed to be, then in and out through small streets to get ourselves over to where we were supposed to be. I tried calling my husbands mobile, but he was grouchy and said call you back, ( he didn't ) so we hiked to the car, we were puffed, then he called back later and told us to join him in a bar at the top of the hill, NOT LIKELY SUNSHINE GET BACK AND OPEN THE CAR , so after we dumped the skis we had a beer, to repair the frayed nerves.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy