Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Some Zermatt Advice?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Planning on taking a ski trip to Zermatt over the Easter break but due to the recent Franc rates, I feel the need to try and cut the costs down even further.

A few questions;

1. Does anyone know the price of the ski lockers at the Kleine matterhorn station? (Trying to work out if renting from a depot-included shop is cheaper)

2. Any cheeky ways to get lift prices down?

3. Any expert rumours on how the Franc rates will change over the coming months...

I also recently read in an article that "Zermatt’s tourist office suggested four options to the hotels, chalets, restaurants and cable-car firms that comprise its 1,100 members: reinstate the 1.20 franc per euro cap for European visitors; offer discounts of 20 percent; cut prices by 10 percent; or take no action."
Anyone know what this is about..?

I have thought about the Italian side, but I really want to experience the vibe and atmosphere of Zermatt.

Cheers.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi snowisawesome, I'm afraid it's a no, no, and better I hope. The rate was a bit of a shock to my family holiday. I,ve just had to pretend I,ve another daughter! Zermatt is fantastic, so if you can afford it do go. I hope they take some action to help tourists in the short run at least obviously. If I hear anything I will post it here
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Snowisawesome, lockers are 2 chf per time I believe.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Snowisawesome, I am in Zermatt at the moment and I have not been given any discount when I have bought anything, you are right that to experience Zermatt properly you need to stay there. My son mentioned that the shop at Trockener Steg had a notice that they would not accept Euros, don't know about the cafe or other places. Look in to getting a Halifax Clarity credit card as I got a really good exchange rate getting cash out before the crash, also it is recommended by Money Saving Expert, I have been paying the balance of as soon as it comes through. Hopefully the rate will improve a bit before Easter.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks everyone, I'll guess I'll just have to pay that much extra.

Am thinking of staying in the Winkelmatt area, but anyone know about the Moos piste (43) - it seems to be an itinerary run now?

Also, @ernie
Quote:

lockers are 2 chf per time I believe.

Do you know how much you can fit into one ski locker?

Cheers.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 24-01-15 17:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Plus, forgot to mention, any Interhome discount codes? Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
regarding 3: the GBP/CHF rate is about 10% off the type of level it has been in recent years (so not too much of a change) and forward rates imply no likely change from that unless Sterling base rate changes (unlikely).

as you know, Zermatt is one of the most expensive resorts in Switzerland. there are others which offer much better value, even Klosters is cheaper

a visit to a Euro currency resort will undoubtedly be better value for you.

www.zermattapartments.co.uk worth a look as an example private rental. there are other independently owned apartment owners where you may get a good rental price if they are not yet booked ie avoid inter home.

we stayed at the mont cervin palace hotel last time, great location but v pricy. self catering will significantly reduce your costs

look for any packages on www.matterhornparadise.ch eg ski active paradise from 11 April. for many skiers the full price pass is v high for what they actually ski

www.swisspasses.com offers some discount of lift pass, ski hire etc. also check skiset.com price for ski hire.

afraid that is all I have, not much....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Zermatt has the world's beat skiing scenery, but frankly the skiing itself isn't THAT great. Mostly the redder end of blue.

Best to wait for a year when the exch rates are favorable. Paid nearly 100 quid for pizza for 4 on the chalet girl's night off!

The cervinia side is OK, but taint the same and the link to Switzerland is closed in bad weather. In fact the time we went there was big snow storm And cervinia just Shut. I was so glad to have paid the extra for Zermatt.

Klein Matterhorn often shut too, if yr skis were up there, you might face a wait to retrieve them?

Basically go once when the pound is high. See the fantastic scenery. Then go back to somewhere cheaper Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@narran, I agree. The word "discount" doesn't really exist in Switzerland and some bills just bring tears to your eyes. Many Swiss resorts have great scenery and good skiing but are simply not worth the money any more.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Snowisawesome, Zermatt is a great place to ski. Our last visit we stayed in Cervinia which we enjoyed.

As an aside if I was concerned regarding cost of ski lockers I'd probably look elsewhere wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Could you stay down in tasch? You could still hang around Zermatt into the evening, I think the trains down run very late but I stand to be corrected.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
narran wrote:
Zermatt has the world's beat skiing scenery, but frankly the skiing itself isn't THAT great. Mostly the redder end of blue.

Best to wait for a year when the exch rates are favorable. Paid nearly 100 quid for pizza for 4 on the chalet girl's night off!

The cervinia side is OK, but taint the same and the link to Switzerland is closed in bad weather. In fact the time we went there was big snow storm And cervinia just Shut. I was so glad to have paid the extra for Zermatt.

Klein Matterhorn often shut too, if yr skis were up there, you might face a wait to retrieve them?

Basically go once when the pound is high. See the fantastic scenery. Then go back to somewhere cheaper Very Happy

OMG - you think that was expensive?!!! If so - I suggest you avoid premier resorts in the future. That is what it costs, why on earth complain or try and do expensive, premier resorts on the cheap? Seems a strange choice when you would almost definitely be happier in a big ski domain with large numbers of people on a similar income to you where there will be services available that meet your budget.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snowisawesome, yeah, go somewhere with the plebs and leave Zermatt and other 'premier resorts' to the rich rolling eyes Come on man, know your place....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
robertsnerys wrote:
Could you stay down in tasch? You could still hang around Zermatt into the evening, I think the trains down run very late but I stand to be corrected.

Yes they do. In the current quieter period the last train is half past midnight. But in the peak periods they run all through the night. I have an apartment in Täsch so I am biased - but I think it is fine staying down there. It is certainly a lot cheaper than staying in Zermatt and a 12 minute train ride hardly kills you.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Snowisawesome wrote:

Am thinking of staying in the Winkelmatt area, but anyone know about the Moos piste (43) - it seems to be an itinerary run now?

I think it has been shown as an itinerary run for some time now. At present it is not even showing as being open. It was not open at New Year so people were skiing down the winter walk. We were walking up it but knew to expect skiers coming down.
snow report
What is your reason for going to zermatt is it for the akiing or the whole ambiance of village feel and the alpineness?.the skiing isnt that great in my opion as I got bored after 3 days as I pretty much skied allover including the cervina side but I would class my skiing as advanced/expert.but zermatt its self is really nice especially if your going with your misses its worth the £££ but if you can go self catering as thers a good supermarket by the train station which ia reasonable price and good cheap wine for 5chf And the brown cow does really good burgers and beer
ski holidays
deeppow wrote:
What is your reason for going to zermatt is it for the akiing or the whole ambiance of village feel and the alpineness?.the skiing isnt that great in my opion as I got bored after 3 days as I pretty much skied allover including the cervina side but I would class my skiing as advanced/expert.but zermatt its self is really nice especially if your going with your misses its worth the £££ but if you can go self catering as thers a good supermarket by the train station which ia reasonable price and good cheap wine for 5chf And the brown cow does really good burgers and beer

I am surprised at that comment. I guess you could just about go up and down Rothorn, Hohtalli, Gornergrat, Schwarsee, Klein Matternorn, Cervinia and Valtournenche in 3 days and say you have "done it". I'd be surprised at anyone at any level being bored by then. I guess I now would be classed as advanced and I am there frequently and don't get bored. For someone who needs more than groomed piste skiing they should probably visit after the end of January. By then you have the lift served areas of the west face of Rothorn, the whole of the Stockhorn/Triftji area and the west face of Shwarzsee - all of which give good challenging skiing for anyone at any level. That is before counting areas you can trek to or go with a guide. Great thing about skiing though is that it is all about opinion - just as well I guess or we would all be at the same resort!
snow conditions
Ha yeh I went for a week last February when the snow wasnt that great off piste/on the unpisted piste area thats probley why I was being a downer.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy