Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kuhtai trip report Jan 2015

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/olg23ynaXIA
My 11 year old's gopro edit

http://youtube.com/v/HAuA5iNVMgU
My 17 year old's gopro edit

Just back from a week in kuhtai, staying at the Elisabeth chalet hotel with inghams. Went with my wife, 3 kids (11, 14 and 17) plus my eldest's friend.

Inghams were excellent. Taxi transfer from Innsbruck only 35 mins. Hotel was good too. Staff great and fantastic location. This was our kids 8th week skiing and left us behind most of the time, meeting up with them at lunch etc.

Kuhtai itself is a bit of a 'poor mans' Zurs - ie quite a bleak setting with just a collection of 4 star hotels (with a few sports shops and a couple of bars and a night club). If I were to compare to Kappl for example (similar km of runs) Kappl is prettier has better après and skiing. In fairness to kuhtai the conditions did not help. Quite exposed so any snow that fell on the frozen snow it simply blew off. Conditions were great up top, sketchy in middle and ok at bottom. Ended up going to hochoetz a few days which I enjoyed better, especially in flat light. The free bus service was excellent.

The night skiing was excellent although it was blowing and absolute hooly and snowing pretty heavily. They set up a kicker with air bag for an open contest (including the instructors!). Our kids loved it with my eldest coming 3rd for his 360 Very Happy

Some of the terrain reminded me of Scottish skiing at times as was the infrastructure - quite a lot of tbars. Also, a few slopes were closed for Austrian junior ski training. This meant a fairly high percentage of the skiing was closed given the limited number of km skiing available. Also the fun park and help pipe was not open which had been one of the attractions of booking.

Overall we enjoyed kuhtai but would not return - I think it was just too exposed for our liking and not enough après off the slopes to enjoy the full Austrian gemütlichkeit. Would be perfectly happy using inghams again and the same hotel but just placed in the Arlberg.

The hotel location was superb especially for those using ski school. As a beginner however you will struggle to find an easy blue to progress to from the nursery slope.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Excellent. Got invited there for some ski tests, but cant make it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Some of the terrain reminded me of Scottish skiing at times as was the infrastructure - quite a lot of tbars.

That's my impression too. I like Kuhtai on the right days (it can be really great!), but it's not somewhere I'd go for a week.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@clarky999, @clarky999,
Quote:

it's not somewhere I'd go for a week.

Why not?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@musher, village is VERY quiet, pistes are fairly limited and generally pretty short, no trees to hide in in bad weather, and it doesn't seem to get as much snow as near-neighbours like Axamer Lizum. However, the offpiste can be great, with fun stuff right next to the pistes that often remains untracked long after a storm. There's also some really excellent touring in the area.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@musher, agree with clarky. Unless ski touring etc you can do kuhtai and hochoetz in a couple of days. Not much in either village to keep you entertained after a days skiing.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kidz got skillz
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mike Pow, cheers. They totally skied the pants off me and my mrs
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Me and the missus went to Kuhtai a few years back with Inghams on a late deal

As a relative beginner at the time, the lack of piste kms wasn't an issue, and we didn't get close to skiing the whole area. The 35 minute transfer is a winner, compared to some French places. No snowboards so T-bars not much of an issue either...

We stayed in the Mooshaus, and this was what made the holiday for us: not quite ski in ski out, but as close as you could otherwise get, and with lunch included saved us some Euros on the hill. In fact the buffet / meals they served would have kept me full for months. The spa: two steam rooms a massive sauna, swimming pool and snow box: I didn't have an ache all week!

Would go back to try and cover a bit more ground, although I suspect (without spending too much on lessons) I'd be bored before the end of a week
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Enjoyed a road trip day in Kuhtai once - great snow in late season and had an excellent day. Ski area was smaller than we'd anticipated and the vertical drop is short by Alps standards. Thought the resort and setting were pleasant enough though.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy