Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Keeping the Kids skiing (snow dome)

Poster: A snowHead
Ok so the Kids (aged 6-8 then) had their first ski holiday last Feb (2014). Prior to this they had 5 hours private tuition at Castleford and progressed nicely into plough / parallel skiers. This set them up
nicely for their holiday. During our week away I booked them 4 x 1.5 hrs private lessons with ESF and they progressed far more then I could ever imagine. On return I had great intentions to keep
their skiing up but in the end we have taken them twice in the last year. Why I hear you ask. Well Castleford is the nearest venue and that is a 120 mile round trip and also the the cost.
Ok if I can get them there on a Sunday afternoon between 2 and 4 they can go on the slope with an 'instructor' for a group kids session (they cant go on their own because of their age) the 'instructor' is just there to make sure they are ok, this costs £50 for the pair of them for 2 hours, not too bad. The problem arrises away from these times. It is just so expensive. Away from the Sunday afternoon session I would have to go on with them and that makes the pass over £70 for ONE hour for myself and the 2 kids, thats just too expensive for such a short time plus the expense of the travel and other costs like lunch etc. I would love to encourage them and get them skiing more but at that price I cant justify it.

I am so pleased with the standard they have got too and Im sure given more time and coaching they would only get better as they enjoy it so much. Just wish I could get them doing it more.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I would love to encourage them and get them skiing more but at that price I cant justify it.

I wouldn't worry, @Renry. Next time you can get to the "real slopes" they will make great progress yet again, and it'll be a lot more fun being properly out in the mountains. They'll be better than you before long!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I would love to encourage them and get them skiing more but at that price I cant justify it.

I wouldn't worry, @Renry. Next time you can get to the "real slopes" they will make great progress yet again, and it'll be a lot more fun being properly out in the mountains. They'll be better than you before long!

+1 - obviously the more they ski the better, however I first learnt to ski when I was 11, and then didn't ski for another 6 years after that. I have only had the 1 week of lessons at 11 and yet 6 years later I was on red runs on my second day of that trip. It really is like riding a bike and you don't forget.

My third trip was another 5 years later! Again no problems picking it up again, and I ski'd my first blacks on that trip too.

Definitely keep the lessons up when you do go though - I get by but I am by no means a good skier and I really wish I had more lessons. (I am going to)

I have decided to be sensible and ski at least once a year from now on snowHead

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 19-01-15 21:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Renry, it is not a race, they do not have a standard to reach within any given period. Skiing is a huge pleasure to me - I don't need to produce a badge showing I have achieved level x for my skiing to be justified. So long as your kids get lessons on hold then there is no issue at all. Enjoy your hols x
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We will take them every year until they choose the school ski trip over the family. It wasn't so much me wanting them to progress but wanting to keep them active in as many activities we can. I just think it's a shame it's not more reasonably priced to encourage participation.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
* on hols! Not hold!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Shimmy Alcott, We have booked them in again for 6 hours
Private with the same ESF instructor they had last year. He was excelent with them, he had them making fast carved turns within the first hour last year, we couldn't believe what we where seeing. My son was 6 at the time and managed a nicely groomed red run by the end of the week without the need for the 'plough'

Roll on Feb 7th. Cool
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have you looked into lessons with Lions on a Sunday morning? We did that with ours at Castleford, it was easily the cheapest way of doing it but we did have to get there for 8am on a Sunday. Last time I went they had a board up. I think we used to pay £50 a year for membership and then something like £17 for 2 hours of tuition? We stopped now but did it for a few years (it's a 3 hour round trip so was a bit commitment!)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They should offer 'snow clubs' where you get 6 session with the same group for about £70-80. That may keep people interested in the summer months.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not sure where you exactly you live but is tere a dry slope nearby. My daughter skis in a local race club twice a week and easily transfers back to snow each year.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No Castleford is the nearest. I just wish it was more affordable. The kids do plenty of other clubs, Cubs, beavers, dance, guitar, football, swimming its a wonder we have time to take them skiing anyway. If it was cheaper I woukd find the time
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just trying to picture a town where Cas is the nearest within a 60 mile radius, but saw East Yorks so I agree Sunderland is the only other option. You need a slope in Lincoln - it's steep enough!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That'd be good for me, we're about 20 miles east from Lincoln and Castleford is our nearest too
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Does castleford have membership discounts ?

With Hemel, we cut our costs, by getting the basic cheap family ski club membership, then used that to get the 40% or whatever it is discount off membership at Hemel.

It should pay for itself over the year easily, along with discounts in the cafe and shops elsewhere.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Little Martin, you're a super-snowHead - that gets you the 40% membership discount at Hemel without having to join the Tea Club.
ski holidays
@Renry,

I know it is further for you but when considering overall costs Ski Rossendale does a family membership at £70 for 2 adults and 3 kids payable by direct debit each month.

You do not pay anything else for slope time ski hire etc only lesson costs if needed. So if you went for 3-4 hrs even if just once per week because of distance it would still work out a lot cheaper than the fridges.

There is also a dryslope at Halifax but not sure of costs and opening times for that one.

Your only other option is, as has been suggested above joining a club and utilising their sessions in the fridge.

CFe prices for the monthly pass at present are crippling especially for a family but once the season is over it goes down to approx £60 before any membership discounts. Not sure if Castleford do anything similiar, but might be worth checking out.
snow report
Have you had a look at http://www.lions-skiclub.org/ we are members and our boys love it and my wife has just started as a trainee instructor. It is a bit of an early start on a Sunday but the instruction is great and price is reasonable.
snow conditions
@mbeaney, thanks for the link, I will certainly look into this after our week to La Clusaz (7th Feb)
ski holidays
Does Castleford do a summer set of lessons? We had our daughter skiing all spring and summer at Hemel (because she wanted to). They did a block book of £99 for six lessons.We could take them when we liked so you we weren't committed to a number of weekends in a row and you can book into the levels as you go. At Hemel I think it was only from April(ish) to December. Well worth it. Also, if you're a member, I'm sure you could get this cheaper.

Lots of the lessons our daughter had in the summer were just her and a teacher and she has learnt a lot - so much so after a another week proper snow she is now scaring the crap out of me.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy