Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aaaaaaaarrrgh!

Poster: A snowHead
Misery of miseries!

With about 4 weeks to go until our regular half term ski holiday, my youngest (9 years old) got taken out on the rugby field today and has badly broken his collarbone Sad

Fracture clinic says no sport for 6 to 10 weeks, depending on how it heals, so that's the ski trip scuppered! Poor thing is gutted!

All very frustrating, so felt I had to post this, as a general cathartic internet rant...

chemistry
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You have my sympathy, but I hope you can claim from insurance and then book a cheaper, warmer and generally nicer trip at Easter instead.

snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ouch!!!!, hope the rugger fan heals well.............. on a positive note Easter falls relatively early this year.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's terrible, poor mite, Does he have grandparents he can stay with while you go? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@chemistry, you have my sympathy. Sounds like a nice sunny warm easter trip is in the offing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@chemistry, whoever said skiing was a sport? Toofy Grin

Sorry for the lad now though - bet it hurts a lot.
And at 9 yrs he can't resort to the fizzy analgesia that comes in pints Sad
Tough.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

You have my sympathy, but I hope you can claim from insurance and then book a cheaper, warmer and generally nicer trip at Easter instead.

+1
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@chemistry, Ouch, sounds like a nasty injury for that age group too but guess these things happen?

I stop playing at least a month before hand these days, but in my early 30's I don't bounce or heal as well as I used to Toofy Grin

By scuppered do you mean the entire trip or just his chance to ski? Must be achievable to still go even if he can't ski?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh no. That's crap. Rebook for easter??
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@chemistry, Having fractured both collar bones playing rugby, wrist and arms horse riding (well falling) and shoulder and wrist skiing, you really have my sympathy.

The worst one for instant and first few weeks of pain was collar bone! Breathing was a real chore!

As a tip, he may feel more comfy in bed with his pillows in a V shape. It really helped support my shoulders, kept my arms still and kept me wedged in bed!!

Get better soon Mini Chemistry!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@chemistry, hope your lad is not in too much pain and heals well Sad

I would second shifting everything to Easter - that's what we've done here having cancelled our NY trip, although I am happy to walk and not ski on our trip in Feb, I can't imagine that would go down too well with a 9 year old!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all the kind words guys!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Is there anything to cheer him up? Days off school? Missing maths tests? Milking it shamelessly so that everyone has to run around for him, especially siblings? Hours playing whatever games console kids play? Promise of a ski trip in good weather with relatively empty pistes?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Happened to us...twice! Parked injured child with non skiing friends, and went without him...he was about 12 the first time an 14 the second time....(so perhaps the guilt trip wasn't as bad as it would be for a nine year old...)
Embarassed
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Perty, Quite sympathetic of you, will a 9yo child fit in boarding kennels Laughing
snow report
Lots of (normally not encouraged) Xbox games ordered, probably the day off school tomorrow. We'll look after the little fella Little Angel

As for the ski trip, lots of options/suggestions, so we'll have a 'family think' and come up with a plan.
snow report
Take him and the Xbox with you Wink

Hope he gets well soon and you manage to get a trip at some point.
ski holidays
@HoneyBunny, good point but grandparents are cheaper. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Recall a story about someone breaking their collar bone playing rugby as well and a helpful person on the side line diagnosing a dislocate shoulder and trying to re-insert, not sure how long they tried .

Hope it wasnt as bad as that and you sort something out about the trip
snow conditions
Poor little fellow , hope he gets better soon ...
snow report
@ster, not funny, that happened to me, 4 weeks after I had dislocated my shoulder(in a school rugby match). Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 19-01-15 0:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@chemistry, 6-10 weeks sounds like a long time for a collarbone break...must be pretty bad Crying or Very sad

You never know, though, kids can heal pretty quickly, so don't completely give up hope. I did a collarbone (nowhere near as badly, clearly) while working a season, and was back on snow in about 12 days (was told to do nothing for 2-4 weeks, but got too stir crazy staring at the snow falling every day!). You might get lucky yet...
snow conditions
ster wrote:
Recall a story about someone breaking their collar bone playing rugby as well and a helpful person on the side line diagnosing a dislocate shoulder and trying to re-insert, not sure how long they tried .

Hope it wasnt as bad as that and you sort something out about the trip

OUCH, that makes my bum clench just thinking of it. Only someone whos broken their collar bone will understand but its really has to be the worst place to break for pain (ok so we all know there are worse places)
snow conditions
@ster,

Wow. That's horrible (but actually made mini-chemistry feel a bit better)!
latest report
Poor kid. Hope he heals quickly and you can rearrange for Easter.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 19-01-15 20:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@chemistry, What I shame, hope you can sort something out
snow report
Oh, so sorry to hear mini Chemistrys plight. I do hope he makes a speedy recovery and you manage to sort something out and manage to have some skiing time with your family. I was looking forward to hearing about Valmorel as I had thought about going there but as others have said there is always Easter.
snow report
Oh what a shame! I hope he feels better soon - (Anyway - xBox sounds like fun!!)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Before you go to insurance, try the TO. Long shot but they may be keen to transfer you rather than lose you altogether.
latest report
I fractured my skull in a cycling accident aged 16, three weeks before a ski trip.

I still went and skied

Hasn't done my any long term damage Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Have you spoken to your travel insurance provider yet? They can get funny about this type of thing as unless your son has been told not to travel for medical reasons they could argue that the cancellation element doesn't apply. Their argument may well be that you can still travel and look after him there. However, if you could arrange a follow-up appointment for the week you are due to be away........😉😉😉
snow conditions
@chemistry, Sorry to hear that. I broke my collar bone about 8 years ago and the recovery was not nice. Not that its ever nice to break something, but in a way its better its done before you went away as you can rearrange your trip, where as if it happened in resort I think that would be worse.

My missus broke her wrist on Xmas day in Val Thorens. She had to miss the last 3 days of our trip. I went out for a few hours each day on my own, but its not the same and i felt guilty leaving her in the Chalet.
latest report
@chemistry, Glad to hear he has his chin up and hope he recovers soon. Kids do heal fast at least.

@thecramps, Not funny ha ha at all! I dislocated/cracked a rib (depends whose opinion you believe) playing rugby, who though just breathing could be so painful. Luckily it was after skiing season. I heard that story when I was at school. You werent at school about 30 years ago over the Irish sea were you?
snow report
Depends on the break as to how quick. One of mine broke his at 16 and was 5 months off contact sports. It was very painfully for 3 weeks.
Hope the little fella is ok.
ski holidays
Put him in kennels for the week?
ski holidays
Thanks for all the kind words and suggestions.

The little fella is being very stoic; voluntarily went to school yesterday! Also, one of the other rugby dads just happens to be a consultant orthopaedic surgeon and has kindly offered to swap mini chemistry out of the 'general' fracture clinic and into his own one, which i) no doubt means we'll get a bit more personalised care and ii) has cheered mini chemistry up no end, knowing that he'll be getting seen by somebody he knows.

In addition, another mate has suggested he and his son come with me and mini chemistry at Easter somewhere, so hopefully that will come to pass. As a family, we might all still go to Valmorel and just accept that one of us will have to stay with the little fella each day and that by the end of the week we will all be very good at FIFA 15 on the Xbox...!

So overall, things are looking up a bit.

chemistry
ski holidays
@chemistry, good news, especially about the consultant orthopod - every rugby team needs one!
snow report
Oh, much more positive news on all fronts. Good that you will be able to ski with your children this year albeit at different times and of course have the opportunity to get so much better at FIFA 15 so pleased for you.
snow conditions
@chemistry, Sounds like the best plan. Two trips Smile
snow report
Hope you and your family have a lovely holiday and mini Chemistry is improving. Will look forward to the report on Valmorel on your return especially as I am considering it for next year
Happy skiing - hope the snow is good for you. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy