Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A question about new skis

Poster: A snowHead
pam_w, New skis? What you got? Shall we no longer have matching skis?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 19-01-15 17:51; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Picked up a new pair skis last weekend and spent an hour or so doing the edges - the pistes where pretty much rock-hard and the edges were not as sharp as I liked. After two days skiing on the hard pistes, the fresh snow arrived and they clearly weren't running that well and so got a hot wax.

But detuning skis? Never!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@pam w, Pure curiosity, what are your new skis?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Pedantica, And what skis do you have?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dynastar Pro Active, v cheap from Glisshop. http://www.snowmagazine.com/ski-gear/955-skis/dynastar-active-pro

The idea is to put less pressure on my knee. Shorter (158) than the skis I've had for the last ten years. Green stripes which match my jacket; clincher...... wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@pam w, does this mean you're giving up on your Edens? I would quite understand this, given the graphics. wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@irie, Dynastar Exclusive Legend Eden.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pam w, Ah, very interesting. I also buy from Glisshop, but with the Head Super Joys I got S&R to do a price match. Smile

Mrs irie is on some Dynastar Exclusive Active Xpress 158's that I bought for her a couple of years ago (using the same SportTube trickery wink ), but I'd managed to get her carving properly and saw that they were starting to flap around a bit ...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Pedantica, Blimey, all you girls are on Dynastars!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@irie, I've been brand-loyal to Dynastar (with the exception of a brief foray into Heads) for many years.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@irie,
Quote:

saw that they were starting to flap around a bit
I swapped my previous Idylls for the Edens for that reason. I really like the Edens, both on and off piste.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@pam w, Your new Dynastars look really nice, and excellent graphics too.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have to say, my Volkl Code Speedwall S UVO's are epic on-piste skis but ... the graphics are utter utter crap. I don't understand why men's skis graphics are mostly rubbish. I reckon my old Dynastar Omesoft skis from way back when had better graphics, but that might just be the passage of time making the past look better ...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Pedantica, I still have the Edens. But I need to sort out my knee a bit..... staying right out of the unpisted stuff (I bit of lack of attention had me on an unpisted red run the other day and my knee protested immediately. It protested when I got out of bed this morning; it doesn't take much!

I am saving it for the BB!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@pam w, understood. Probably better to have a little less width underfoot, then.
ski holidays
I bought 2 brand new pairs of Rossignol B2s a few years ago from a German ebay seller. One set for me and one for a friend. In fact we took the skis to Spyderjon to fit the bindings for us.

I waxed mine numerous times before i then went skiing with said friend.

We skied together on the same runs for the week. At the end of the week my bases were still dark and fresh, the other pair were going white in places.

Said friend is a better, more experienced skier than me but we skied at similar pace and similar lines all week.
ski holidays
@lower, So your skis which had been waxed before you left didn't need waxing at the end of a week and your friend's skis which had not been waxed before you left did need waxing at the end of a week. The conclusion is that they should have been waxed some time during the week when they started to go white, or is there some other conclusion to be drawn? Puzzled
latest report
I'd certainly check what the factory tuning is for a new pair of skis before deciding whether to leave them 'as is', or get them serviced before their first outing. Scott says this about their skis:

"Every factory finished ski leaves the factory with side edges ground at 89° and base edges ground between 0.5° and 0.8° for exceptional performance."

I have no idea why they do this. I certainly prefer 87-88° for side edges and I'm sure I'd feel the lack of an edge with the factory tune, especially on ice. I have Scott Crusades, but I bought them secondhand and had them tuned to my requirements (well, basically a simple 2 on the edge, 1 on the base and a wax) before I first skied on them.
snow report
Blizzard's factory tune is a 3 degree edge. I hope that will be OK - should help on the ice anyway!
snow conditions
irie wrote:
@lower, So your skis which had been waxed before you left didn't need waxing at the end of a week and your friend's skis which had not been waxed before you left did need waxing at the end of a week. The conclusion is that they should have been waxed some time during the week when they started to go white, or is there some other conclusion to be drawn? Puzzled

My conclusion is that the wax applied by the factory did not last any where near as well as the wax that i put on. By mid week my skis were running faster than my friend's. You'd expect skis to last a whole week without needing waxing.

The original question that created this thread was whether new skis need waxing before use. I would say that they certainly benefit from it.
snow conditions
@lower, Agreed, because it will save messing around mid-week. Done.
ski holidays
Ideally I would slap on a layer or two of decent hot wax and perhaps run a fine diamond file over the edges to remove any hanging burrs (no detuning required on modern skis). But only if you have the right kit to do it and know what you are doing. You can easily trash them if you don't.
I find Notwax works pretty well as a finish layer on top of hot wax or even on its own. Effectiveness depends a fair bit on the snow conditions.

But in all honesty, they'll probably ski just fine out of the box. Sometimes I run new skis for a day or two and then wax/tune as required. Never had any problems with factory tuning really. But shops can certainly screw up a pair of skis if they get carried away on the grinding machine.
snow report
Just FYI mine were absolutely fine from the factory. Didn't get noticeably slower either (that was just me Toofy Grin ).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy