Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A question about new skis

Poster: A snowHead
Got some new skis for Mrs. irie which she won't know about until they're pulled out of the SportTube late in February in the Dolomites. wink

They're Head Super Joys, and the question is should I wax them or detune them in any way before first use? There are no marks of any sort on the bases and the edges are immaculate - they obviously have not been roughly manhandled in any way and the bases are pristine.

Am thinking - maybe let the Mrs loose on them for a day or two while she gets used to them while they're not so fast on the factory prepared bases, then wax them after which they'll be a lot faster?

(Informed) opinions please?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ooooo good choice! Those skis are getting absolutely rave reviews, I hope she loves them.

They should be ready to ski on with no detuning/waxing needed.

I've got new skis too, and I'm taking a pot of Zardons Notwax with me, just in case.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Prepare them beforehand; brush out base brass brush, hot wax and scrape, wax and allow to cool, soft brush, as many times as possible. How would you do it in resort ? Surely you want to be on holiday, and if you get a shop wax, they will probably run it through the machine. Just done the OH`s new Line Soulmate 98`s for next weekend. Have fun when you go !
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Notwax lasts approx. 2 runs, its a waste of time, if needed and once factory wax wears off , drop them into a local ski shop for a hot wax over night
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Prepare them beforehand; brush out base brass brush, hot wax and scrape, wax and allow to cool, soft brush, as many times as possible. How would you do it in resort ?

What waste of time.... They are ready to go.... use them until they need a wax. And then get a shop wax, don't wast your time on anything else.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
^ this forum needs a 'like' button!

winterfunman wrote:
Notwax lasts approx. 2 runs, its a waste of time, if needed and once factory wax wears off , drop them into a local ski shop for a hot wax over night

I disagree, I find it lasts a day and it's great.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No ski is "ready to go" from any factory, period. That is unless you are your average garden variety skier who likes mediocrity knowingly or unknowingly. Monsieur Irie would be v. well advised to have the skis appropriately fully tuned and waxed by, if possible, the shop he purchased them from who should offer a reduced price on same.

There isn't any ski coming out of any factory that does not require at a minimum a light tune on the base and edges to make that ski realize its fullest potential. Even the highest end racing skis that receive monumentally better construction QC - even those which are custom made for all the FIS kings and queens - require tuning, so where do you think that registers your average recreational ski, duh? In some cases a considerable refining of the base is required as many go concave over their resting period once out of the mold. And there isn't a single factory whose applied cheap infrared wax is anything to write home about. If anyone, beginning with Señor Irie wants a decent start on any new set of boards, always get them tuned, preferably first lightly by machine - grinding/stoning, ultimately by handfinishing the entire surface and sides and finally fully wax with a quality base wax. Repeat waxing most often.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 18-01-15 18:13; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wax my skis well and also using Notwax seems to make the wax last much longer, love the stuff.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
equinoxranch wrote:
There isn't any ski coming out of any factory that does not require at a minimum a light tune on the base and edges to make that ski realize its fullest potential. Even the highest end racing skis that receive monumentally better construction QC - even those which are custom made for all the FIS kings and queens - require tuning, so where do you think that registers your average recreational ski, duh?

Out of curiosity, if what you say is true, why would this be the case? Why would they not sell their skis in a ski-ready condition?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@equinoxranch, sorry mate that is a load of bollox.
Quote:

That is unless you are your average garden variety skier who likes mediocrity knowingly or unknowingly.

I guess that about sums me up nicely Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
Quote:

Even the highest end racing skis that receive monumentally better construction QC - even those which are custom made for all the FIS kings and queens - require tuning, so where do you think that registers your average recreational ski, duh?

Race skis are re-prepped by the racer's tech, so that is pretty irrelevant -
Quote:
duh?

There is so much tosh about ski prep.... a bad workman....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@equinoxranch, I think I'm with flangesax. I had new skis last year. I took them in for treatment at my local ski shop. They wouldn't take my money, saying the factory wax was perfectly fine for a week. And, knowingly or unknowingly mediocre, I thought they were brilliant. Maybe I'll fine a huge difference this year as they've just had a service. Then I'll come back and apologise.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@equinoxranch,

Race ( FIS / LAB ) skis are completely different the manufacturers do not touch them because each racer has their tech set the skis up specificaly for them. If racer A liked their edge angles at 86 & 0.75 and because he/she was the number one for that company if they set all the skis for the racers to that spec how long would racer B who prefers and skis better on 87 & 0.5 stay with them ? They would not they would change skis to another brand.

Punters want skis they can buy in a shop walk out click in and ski most skiers though they might feel the difference between different edge angles would not fully understand why, many are happy with a std setup anyway. It becomes more critical the more the skier is competent to edge and hold that edge on different snow conditions and terrain.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@flangesax, Disagree there; the ones that I have just got new are 3 seasons old, sat in a warm shop drying out. They took plenty of wax. Factory/storage wax is not the same thing at all; otherwise you wouldn't see all the black crap come out on the first hot wax. It also helps prevent micro hairs.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Totally understand that race skis will need to be prepped but I service my skis myself and notice if they need a service and always found new skis direct from factory absoletely fine without furher servicing.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If they are a gift I would check they are acceptably flat for starters. If they aren't then they will ski like total garbage and it will take the shine off your present. Almost always stuff arrives ready to ski, sometimes it doesn't.

Personally, I would wax them. You don't need to but time put in at the start will usually save work in the long run.
snow report
@equinoxranch

I suspect your post may be directly related to the legalisation of cannabis in Colorado in 2012. snowHead
snow report
@gorilla I've checked them, they're flat.
snow report
@cstreat

These skis are new for the 2014/2015 season so cannot have sat around for very long.
snow report
@irie, good move. I spent three days last year failing to ski blue runsĺ with a pair that had a few thinga wrong with them. Not an experience I would want to repeat.
snow conditions
@TTT

Ditto - I've never had a problem with new skis.
snow conditions
@irie,

"This step for new skis only. New skis arrive at the store with plenty of graphite dust in the pores and coarse microscopic hairs are left on the base from the original grind. The factory wax is also for protection rather than performance. If the factory structure pattern is too shallow (it saves the factory having to do a lot of expensive post grind base smoothing) it can be enhanced with a few passes of a steel structure brush & then fibertex pads in varying grades to remove the fuzz from the 'peaks'’, knocking them down somewhat & smoothing out the structure. Warm, low melting point waxes perform an excellent clean & have great penetration in a new base........... So on new skis repeat the wax/cool/scrape & brush steps as many times as possible as the base needs 'loading up' with wax to give protection & speed......... Between each wax cycle give the skis loads of brass brushing & fiberpad passes (say 10 passes of each) after each wax. For one or two of the waxes use a very cold temperature wax as it cools faster so it traps the hairs that have floated up in the melt. It is very cohesive when cool so the hairs get trapped & snapped off by the sharp of the scraper. A thick, rigid & sharp scraper is vital for this step. Occasional future applications of cold waxes also help eliminate coarseness from a base. Top World Cup tuners may do 50 waxes & scrape cycles on their race skis before they hit the snow so don’t think you’re being anal by doing it at least a few times!"

This is the advice given by a Snowhead who's a little more knowledgeable than most
snow report
@mozwold

www.jonsskituning.co.uk/content/view/22/34
latest report
Edge & Wax say that they always do a hot iron wax before dispatching new skis out to the buyer.
snow conditions
That`s the man I have taken my info from. wink Volkswagen tell me my car only needs its first oil change at 18000 miles, but I still had it changed at 1000 miles, and then every 10000 after. Call me a cynic, but manufacturers have a vested interest in their products wearing out after a reasonable time, and running your skis through a machine in resort, by someone who cares not a fig if you return, does not appeal to me. I have already had base problems from 2 different services in the past, which were only meant to be edge and waxes, and find it very satisfying to do it myself; cheaper, and done proper !
snow conditions
@Scrumpy, Edge and Wax is the only place I trust my servicing to, if I`m not doing it myself.
latest report
@cstreat

Do I have to do 10 waxing passes over my wife's new skis to prove that I love her or is there perhaps another way which doesn't mean working in my 5C garage for several hours?

Just askin', honest. wink
snow conditions
I only did two, but try it in the bedroom instead wink You did ask, in your first post, but perhaps you had already made a decision back then ?
latest report
Although the bases appear clean I'll clean them once then give them a wax and see if any shït comes off. If it doesn't then I'll leave it at that - seems a reasonable compromise given the price of the skis (£330).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@irie, How much beer do you have in your ski tuning chiller? Wink
snow report
@Scarpa, No beer in the garage but plenty of white wine - but once I start ... Embarassed
snow report
irie wrote:
@cstreat

Do I have to do 10 waxing passes over my wife's new skis to prove that I love her or is there perhaps another way which doesn't mean working in my 5C garage for several hours?

Just askin', honest. wink

Yep
latest report
faff, faff, faffefy-faffadiddly faff faff
latest report
equinoxranch wrote:
No ski is "ready to go" from any factory, period. That is unless you are your average garden variety skier who likes mediocrity knowingly or unknowingly. Monsieur Irie would be v. well advised to have the skis appropriately fully tuned and waxed by, if possible, the shop he purchased them from who should offer a reduced price on same.

There isn't any ski coming out of any factory that does not require at a minimum a light tune on the base and edges to make that ski realize its fullest potential. Even the highest end racing skis that receive monumentally better construction QC - even those which are custom made for all the FIS kings and queens - require tuning, so where do you think that registers your average recreational ski, duh? In some cases a considerable refining of the base is required as many go concave over their resting period once out of the mold. And there isn't a single factory whose applied cheap infrared wax is anything to write home about. If anyone, beginning with Señor Irie wants a decent start on any new set of boards, always get them tuned, preferably first lightly by machine - grinding/stoning, ultimately by handfinishing the entire surface and sides and finally fully wax with a quality base wax. Repeat waxing most often.

Not true - my DPS skis came tuned and waxed from the factory. Performed well for a week. I then hand tuned them (as I always do to my skis). No discernible difference to how they were when I first skiied them.

People obsess too much over ski tuning, I think.
snow report
@flangesax,
Shouldn't you be skiing Toofy Grin
snow report
Did a bit of teaching this morning.... then a bit of cleaning this afternoon... an exciting life (maybe I should have done some waxing too...)
snow conditions
Quote:

People obsess too much over ski tuning, I think.

and boot fitting...
ski holidays
flangesax, boot fitting I can understand because well-fitted boots result in pain-free skiing and can, if done properly, improve performance. i don't understand people crying about their bases being scratched. Having gouges in your bases does not affect how you ski. And don't get me started on people who obsess about nicks and scratches on their topsheets...
snow report
@Zero_G, sorry... had a bit of a trolling moment... but the lengths i've seen people go to find an amazing boot fitter and then come here and just moan and literally cry as they put their boots on in combination with the speediest unclip at every lift or stop.... I'lll stop that now....
I was finishing up a lesson the other day and could feel a weird drag on one ski. They were pretty beaten up K2's but I loved 'em... took my skis off for lunch and noticed they had de-laminated at the tail and there was a rock in them!... that was certainly noticeable!
ski holidays
flangesax, a rock would definitely do it! I hear what you're saying about the boot fitting...
latest report
I skied on new skis for the first time yesterday, having not done so previously because of crap snow. They seemed absolutely fine and I had a lovely day. But then I'm a super-mediocre skier, the sun was shining, the snow was excellent, the new lift and pistes surpassed my wildest expectations and I was with some good friends. snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy