Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help please - resort recommendations for nervous beginner

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks, taking my fiancee away this saturday (Jan 24th) for her second ever week on skis - the first one didn't go too well!

Looking for somewhere she can get good beginner lessons in the mornings and I can do my own thing, then potter about together on nice easy (flattish) blues or greens.

There's also a possibility she won't ski a couple of days so preferably somewhere that she won't be trapped in a purpose built moonscape if that's the case.

Budget not too much of an issue up to around £1000 pp for flights/accom/transfers, preferably HB hotel or catered chalet. We'd like to go for a couple of drinks most evenings with a bit of atmosphere but have no interest in dancing on tables in our underwear (famous last words).

Flights from Glasgow or Edinburgh preferred but could traipse down to Manchester at a push.

Looking at Portes Du Soleil (Morzine or Les Gets) at the the moment, any other bright ideas?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@bobalexander1983, I was going to suggest Les Gets Very Happy Good instruction there with British run school (who are very popular and do get booked up so check asap)

http://www.skischool.co.uk/

For cheaper lessons I would recommend the local independent ski school

http://www.ecoledeski360.com/ski-school-les-gets.php who do group or private

Lots of other places would fit the bill too though snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Les Saisies would be perfect but you'd need to drive here from the airport (or get expensive private taxi transfer. Chambery closest but Geneva more reliable.

Les Gets would be good too but pistes probably less busy in Les Saisies - and for a nervous beginner I feel this is vital. Group lessons would be mostly in French but private lessons are affordable - 5 x 2 hour lessons about €300.

If you are interested I could get some more information and recommend an instructor.

The Hotel Calgary is lovely but quite expensive. Loads of affordable apartments though, and plenty of choice of restaurants, including 2 good ones as well as all the dreaded "Savoyard specialities". Pool, spa treatments, etc etc available. An attractive village and great scenery.

Very French; you won't hear much English.

lesaisies.com
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@igLou, @pam w,

Thanks very much for your input.

Pam, keen to avoid hiring a car if possible, cheapest one I've found that isn't a "mini" is over £200 with no mention of snow tyres or chains, plus probable parking costs will be over £300 for a car we'll likely use twice in the week.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@bobalexander1983, any Swiss car at Geneva will have winter tyres and with two people a mini should be fine. In Les Saisies you wouldn't need to pay for parking.

Transfers are always expensive, however you do them. Someone was a bit shocked the other day to find the bus from Gva to Meribel was €140 return....!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Good to know on the tires at least. We can get a return transfer to Morzine or Les Gets for under 100 euro all in, I'm just worried about fitting my skis into a mini, even out of their bag!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Les Gets would be ideal @bobalexander1983,
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@bobalexander1983, if you can get two of you a transfer for €100 that's a good price.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We're pretty well served for transfer companies here @pam w,
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
One of the best beginner areas I've ever been to is the Lacedel/ Socrepes area of Cortina D'ampezzo in Italy. Fly into Verona, Venice or Treviso. Bus transfer to the resort run by the local tourist office, it's quite reasonable IIRC. Loads and loads of hotels and best of all, there will be nobody there. It's very common to have the slopes to yourselves or as good as, and I think they've now had some snow to rectify the previously fairly dire situation. The town is nice, if a little poncy old money. There's a few nice bars and plenty of restaurants in the town, some nice walks etc, and well served by local ski buses so a car isn't really necessary.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quick update guys - thanks for all your advice - unfortunately the ski schools we were interested in in Les Gets didn't have availability for the week we were going, so now booked Chalet Emilie with Mountain Heaven in Courchevel Le Praz. I appreciate Le Praz isn't ideal for a beginner in terms of skiing back to the door, but we can always come down the bubble at night and the beginner areas around 1850 and the Jardin Alpin are perfect for our needs I think.

Little Angel
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy