Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Citrus cleaner or hot scrape

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Have read quite a bit in this but very different views seem to abound.

I usually hot scrape once a season - and skis are waxed countless times during each year. The hot scrape gets off a lot of grunge but I have never used citrus or other solvents - basically because we are after protection of our bases rather than ultimate speed. Some radical websites actually say don't even wax, but I have over the years built up a practice of waxing with hydrocarbon waxes about once every week, sometimes less when there's highly abrasive snow around. Layering on new wax and then scraping and brushing as per usual practice seems fine (and quick, too - since I often have eight pairs of skis to prep I am not out for adding unnecessary stages) but since we are all about protecting the bases rather than ultimate performance is there any real point in stripping the old wax frequently with a cleaner? Any views?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I haven't seen a "citrus" cleaner yet that isn't petroleum distillates; it`s got to be better the way that you have been doing it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@valais2, how often do you ski? Are they all your own skis or those of the family?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
All family and friends - each pair has about 10-12 weeks on the snow per year
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@valais2, That's around what we normally do per season... i just have a local shop service them when it is needed (normally once per pair per season) Then in May they just get shoved in the store room and forgotten about until November.... then we use them until they need a service again (see above).
I expect if the daughter gets into racing then this may change soon but IMO there is just no need to spend that much time on each pair.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Been skiing and servicing my own skis for nearly 40yrs and haven't used base cleaner yet.(I expect I'll be told I'm doing it wrong) snowHead

Generally ski 4 to 5 weeks per year, and always used to hot-wax before each trip. These days it's tends to be just once at the start of the season.

Skis seem to survive no problem, so unless you're racing I'm sure people worry too much about frequent waxing.

Just my opinion, & I'm sure others will disagree Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@flangesax, blimey we wouldn't get away with servicing once per season - 6-7 hours on boiler plate sure dulls the edges, the rocks and stones take their toll on bases, and sugar snow strips the bases a treat. We sometimes can go with a week or more without at least some work, but sometimes sone form of action is needed every couple of days ... All depends how hard you ski and what you do - and we certainly ski hard. So the issue is just whether it's worth using citrus cleaner or not....thanks
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
valais2 wrote:
6-7 hours on boiler plate sure dulls the edges... All depends how hard you ski and what you do -

We try to ski _on_ piste as little as possible >> they're just convenient routes to get you to the interesting stuff NehNeh
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@geoffers, ..sure, so do we, but with an avalanche rating of 4 for days at a time, zero base under new snow, I think it was right to stick to the piste over the last month, with my 9 and 11 year olds ....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've been servicing my skis for over 10 years, the only time I ever use base cleaner is for base repairs. @valais2, what you are doing seems right to me.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yep, hot scrape is the way to go in my view - enough times so the wax comes out clean. Two is usually sufficient for really cruddy skis. The only "chemical" stuff I put on bases is Zardoz Notwax liquid Teflon for slippiness and small patches of wax remover for P Tex repairs
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd only usually use citrus cleaner if the bases are really filthy for some reason - marginal, muddy spring conditions, car park mud, dryslope gunge, indoor snow, etc.

Or to clean out a base gouge before repairing.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I service a lot of skis...too flippin many.

I wash down with a sponge and washing up fluid/water, dry off and then wax.
That gets most of the dirt off the bases.

Hot/Scrape if really mucky.

People who say once per year is enough...well maybe if you only ski a week per year and you had soft snow..

Over Christmas I was doing all our edges every day...they were in a shocking state after just a couple of hours skiing, I even had a mini file in my pocket to do mine at lunchtime.
Leaving those for a full week would have simply been unskiable.

I'm really fussy about the edges, and a bit lazy about the bases.
I almost never ever get them base ground in a shop, I wax them myself (not often enough) and have a proper p-tex gun if that is required.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Over Christmas I was doing all our edges every day...they were in a shocking state after just a couple of hours skiing, I even had a mini file in my pocket to do mine at lunchtime.
Leaving those for a full week would have simply been unskiable.

I'm never going to let you near my knives... They sound way too bevelled to go blunt in a morning. It's llike those cheap knife sharpeners - they put an amazingly sharp double bevel on a blade which is super sharp for about 3 cuts, then they break or blunt.

I average over 65 days per season over the last 7 seasons. I have never, ever hand filed edges or felt the need too. I have my skis serviced mid season or after a scrape. I'll use a bit of quick wax or rub-on stuff as and when. I can't imagine your skis would have been 'unskiable'. I've skied with rocks stuck in the tails of some de-laminated skis!

If you enjoy doing the servicing yourselves and have the time then why not.... but IME (and many other season skiers or ex-pats) the word 'need' only comes into play when you are racing or when you literally have a lump of snow stuck under your ski!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@rungsp, @flangesax, ....weirdly I think you are more in agreement than might appear - I can see where rungsp is coming from - hand edging skis is AGT (a Good Thing) since over a month it takes off the same as doing it once (to remove the horrible rounded edge back to a1deg base and 88/89 side depending which you've set or inherited from the manufacturer) and you spend more of that month with decent edges. I don't think Jon Coster would disagree with that.

Fussy about edges lazy with bases - yes that's me too. The boilerplate this Christmas was taking a huge and rapid toll on edges - but I kept them sharp since this was the safest option for my kids (and enabled me to keep some semblance of style) - just a quick hand edge every couple of days a la Coster - perfect.

And my rock skis are like flangesax - delam at the tails, stones in the base, and cream-crackered top sheets. Look like dogs, ski over and down anything...

The double bevel thing is a red herring - I know what you mean, since I hand sharpen all my kitchen knives on a steel, not a wheeled sharpener, but hard to see how this applies to someone who knows how to hand tune their edges, I have been known also to carry an oxide stone to deal with nasty dings in my edges (plenty this season with zero decent base).

And blunting edges in a morning on boiler plate? Easily done - have you thought of the energy involved in skiing compared with the energy of filing an edge? Like comparing a thermonuclear device to a candle flame...

..and thanks all for advice on citrus - will indeed limit use to repairs....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy