Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski recommendations please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My old faithful Salomon skis are now 12 years old so I feel like I need some newer technology to help my aging legs but my budget isn't huge. Perhaps I should stick to renting but I really do like having my own kit.

I'm 56, 5 ft 9 and weigh 168 lb. Stupidly fit for my age.

Ability variable:
On piste: Fast and in control on all grades. Complemented on style by guide last year Smile
Bumps: Effective but ineligent. Normally first down to the bottom in my group because I don't get leg burn....
Deep Stuff. Hate it but don't fall over much in it. Sinking is a big problem.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Where do you spend most of your time skiing? Do you want to have more fun off piste at the expense of on piste?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Generally prefer on piste but would like to visit off piste more often when it would simply be rude to ignore fresh snow which I tend to avoid because of the sinking palaver although quite happy to admit that is more likely to be has technique
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whitedot Directors? Everyone seems to love them.

Can you go anywhere to demo some skis and see what you like?

I will now never buy skis without demoing them, it's a lot of money to waste if you get it wrong (which I did once).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sadly I think the Directors are out of my current price range. Have been looking at the Salomon BBR 10s which seem to have good reviews and some good deals floating around at the moment. ANyone tried them?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What is your budget for skis with bindings? Just to get an idea.

And one other question: are you a power skier or more a technique/finess skier?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not tried the BBR10s, but love my BBR8.9s. Not that I can tell you anything else about them, they're better than my old SC80s...does that help? rolling eyes You must be able to demo them, or hire them for a day in resort I'd think.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheizz wrote:
What is your budget for skis with bindings? Just to get an idea.

And one other question: are you a power skier or more a technique/finess skier?

I wouldn't say that I actually have a budget, just after something better than I have at the moment perhaps last years models. Would love the latest and greatest but our wonderful goverenment really screwed that by the changes to University fees that I'm now forking out for my son.

If I'm honest I'm more power than finess
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gixxerniknik wrote:
Not tried the BBR10s, but love my BBR8.9s. Not that I can tell you anything else about them, they're better than my old SC80s...does that help? rolling eyes You must be able to demo them, or hire them for a day in resort I'd think.

Ekosport have a cracking deal on 8.9s at the moment but only in the 186 length. Worried these might be just too long for me since based upon the Salomon size guide I would probably need 181 cm since I would not classify myself as an expert skier but more advanced than intermediate.

How stable are they at speed on groomers? I hate clattery skis. And do the tip tend to hit each other as often as some reviewers say? My worst fault is a tendency to have the skis a bit close together because of being taught on straight skis.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BBRs seem to be a bit of a marmite ski so definitely worth demoing, have skied and loved the Whitedot Directors but would never recommend them for someone that mainly skis on piste. I would look for skis around 75-90mm underfoot, narrower for better piste performance, wider to help off piste, something like Blizzard Brahma, Volkl Kendo or Rossi Experience 84 or 88. To be honest none of these skis are going to stop you sinking in deeper snow, they will smooth things out and rockered will make skiing cr@appy snow easier but practise will help with deeper snow as much as anything.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Still thinking the BBR 8.9 186 could be quite a blast. Was worried about the length until I found my first set of carvers in the garage this afternoon that were even longer at 189. They would even fit my current ski bag Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Edge an Wax have some last year ARV Ti for 243quid and pence
http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/741796/products/armada_arvti_2014_all_mountain_skis_skis_only_.aspx

Need to add a few quid for bindings but these are a very nice pair of skis. I tested a pair at the 2013 skitest at MK and was very impressed by the ability to batter through rough terrain.

edited to read that I've just noticed the ARVs are no longer available. Sad

But they are here snowHead

http://www.thesportsoutlet.co.uk/armada-arvti-ski-2014
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy