Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

newbie trying to buy a board for the first time

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello looking for some advice about buying my first snowboard and thought obviously this is the place to ask.

I'm looking to buy my first board but unsure as to what size. I'm 6ft 1 and 15 stone 10.
I have already got my boots they are northwave legend sl and a UK size 10.5

I have been snowboarding three times and comfortably come down red runs etc and control my speed etc and now feel I am ready to get my first board I will be looking at an all mountain board. Having a little read on the Internet I stumbled across the k2 raygun with 30 percent off would this board be suitable to me? I will mainly just be riding the slopes but hopefully learning to oly etc.

Would 161 cm board seem about right? I was a little unsure as to whether I would need a standard board or a mid/wide board so any tips would be great I know you guys are probably sick of these threads but It's so frustrating for a newbie so ill apologise in advance.

Also I was looking to get some flow bindings would they be suitable to this board. If you guys have any recommendations it would be so helpful.

Thanks phil.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
161 would be about right. At UK 10.5 you are right on the cusp of needing a "wide" board. You should be OK if you avoid particularly skinny boards. Stick to a waist width of at least 255mm (260 would be better) and you should be OK.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the advice mate. So do you think the k2 raygun 161 cm would be about right?

Also would the flow five bindings be suitable to me and the board?

Really appreciate the reply.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Depending on your boots design and your stance angles the 161 might be just on the edge of too narrow. It seems like a solid all round board though. I'm not a fan of flat to rocker myself, I like at least a bit of camber. There is an argument that at this stage in your progression you should be looking at straight up camber boards to help make sure that your technique is solid. Personally I enjoy CRC and RCR more than camber on everything other than icy days. I did learn on camber though.

How much is the board?

Flow's design is like marmite, some love it, others not so much. I dont see the point. The fives are pretty soft freestyle bindings also.

I think if you get this set up it will work really well at first, you'll have you're confidence boosted and have a lot of fun but will ultimately be looking to upgrade within a couple of years.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the reply.

Having spoken to a few snowboard shops they seem to be recommending the 160 wide.

The k2 raygun is £232.

Also all the guys I spoke to advised against the flow bindings and said to go with a burton custom.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just had a quick look at the geometry and I agree the wide would suit you better. The 161 has a waist-width of 253mm which is touch narrow for your boot size. The 160-wide at 265mm WW isn't oil-tanker width, some would still call it a mid-wide.

I'm in the anti-Flow camp, just don't see the point. Burton Customs are fine.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy