Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Using ski poles getting off the lifts

Poster: A snowHead
I find them useful to pick stuff up wot I've dropped. Like my other pole for instance.

Too old and stiff to get past my knees nowadays.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Juddernaut, happened yesterday. One of my companions dropped a pole, putting on her gloves. Gallant friend tried to pick it up for her and literally couldn't get down that far. Picked it up with his stick. Laughing I'm glad to say that despite my great age I can still pick up things off the ground. Ski instructors sometimes do lessons where people have to ski past a few dropped gloves and pick them up. Sounds like more lessons like that are needed. Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Poles cause nothing but suffering, frustration and sadness, shackles of conformity and a reminder that you're not quite good enough. Cast them out, raise your free hands to the sky and TESTIFY!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Juddernaut, I don't think anyone is suggesting you can ski faster without poles. What I'm saying is that if you "can't" ski even an average blue run without them, and would be thrown into a complete panic by having your poles pinched from outside a restaurant, there is something wrong.

My skating XC skier could certainly go uphill faster with his poles but it looked like he was out with some less expert mates, and was taking the opportunity to work on his technique and give them a chance to keep up. I thought they all looked good, actually - a good skater is so graceful and powerful.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dav wrote:
My poles often come in handy for giving snowboarder pals a tow along the flats. I feel its important to give something back to those less fortunate than us graceful skiers....

+1 This.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

The skiers I most enjoy watching on the mountains are the piste patrollers - who are always without poles.

Aye.

One of the best runs of my life so far was following a pisteur friend down a not to be named red run as he closed it. We were travelling pretty quickly... Cool Cool
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If this is the funny thread in snowheads I can tell you poles is not the worst thing - you only bring down one or two.

But the skier on the left who wants to get of to the right at once - he can bring down all six og eight skiers - now that is funny. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In the Dolomites, I had a full Tyrolean brass band ski past me (and I am no slouch) and none of them had poles. To add insult to injury, they were playing their instruments at the time, including a tuba Shocked Shocked
True story.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Juddernaut, there's a hippie snowboarder here in Cham who often busks on the Rue Dr Paccard with an accordion. I once saw him riding a dificile button lift on his board, playing his accordion, which was pretty impressive.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skiing down isn't the problem. It's up and flat that is less fun without poles as I'm not a superfit cross country skier... That and getting snow off the soles of my boots and undoing the first binding when I've got myself in a proper tangle or stuck like an upended turtle between two moguls.

Actually, flat is not too bad- I can skate well enough.

My MIL broke her hip skiing indoors without poles - so some people are hopelessly over reliant on them - apparently she couldn't get off the drag lift without them - I'd have expected them to be more of a hindrance...

Could do with improving my use of poles on the downhill part...

That and avoiding the pole between the legs while skating... Embarassed
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Juddernaut, Laughing that would have been a more worthwhile GoPro moment than most we see here.....
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
These skiers seem to do OK without poles!

http://youtube.com/v/7zj7fkilZLo
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My biggest resentment is aimed at the chap who pushed off me to get off the chair lift at Avoriaz just before Xmas. He clearly felt unable to ski around the woman who had fallen off the chair just in front and thought that pushing me into her was a better solution. Its perhaps as well for him that I was a bit bemused for a few moments!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skiing without poles is fine, however I still carry mine, as someone else said they are handy for when you sometimes have to get yourself up hill, for picking up stuff, and they can be fun when coming down just planting them as you do so. I sometimes just hold both poles in one hand if I am filming or something and can manage away fine without them, I don't understand all the posts stating whether they are needed or not, the thread is about muppets using them to pole off the lifts.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nigel Farage doesn't like poles..
ski holidays
Quote:

I don't understand all the posts stating whether they are needed or not, the thread is about muppets using them to pole off the lifts.

well it was, but this is snowheads ---- and there's just so much you can say about the people who can't get off a chair without them. maybe the same folk as can't get down a hill without them. @cameronphillips2000, Laughing
snow report
I learnt on the weekend that I can do my bindings up with them. Bonus. I think the French term is 'polyvalent'. I even use them sometimes as ski poles.
ski holidays
Thought even boarders use poles now? with a go pro on the end for a bit of self gratification Wink Avoids the tellytubby look.
latest report
Actually remembered another use... Post undignified slither on behind a pole gives you that crucial bit of extra range to fish for the inevitable bit of kit that you can't quite reach above you...

Polyvalent is a good word!
snow conditions
I thought of something but have discovered someone beaten me to it.

http://www.instructables.com/id/gentlemans-ski-poles/
latest report
Juddernaut wrote:
I can do my bindings up with them.

How do you "do up" bindings? Insert toe of boot into toe piece, push heel of boot into heel piece. I can't, for the life of me, fathom how poles can be used for this.
snow report
I have introduced quite a few friends to aki over the years. Only after they can control their skis do I suggest they progress to using the lift, then, until they could dismount comfortably did I let them carry their poles, I rightly or wrongly initially carried the poles for them. The follow on advice was then to keep the poles to the outside of their seat and dismount in the fashion they had learnt.
ski holidays
Juddernaut wrote:
In the Dolomites, I had a full Tyrolean brass band ski past me (and I am no slouch) and none of them had poles. To add insult to injury, they were playing their instruments at the time, including a tuba Shocked Shocked
True story.

Classic!! Laughing
ski holidays
barely related topic but there was an avalanche thread on the offpiste board in which a guy who was caught in a big slide concluded that he would have been buried (not able to reach his airbag release) if he had not been able to drop his poles - reminder not to wear straps in avvy zones. I reflected that I tend to put on straps as a matter of habit and decided I'd try not using them at all to break the habit (straps that is). Skied all week over new year without using my pole straps and didn't miss them at all. In principle straps should allow you to place more weight on your pole plant but in practice I really don't think you need too (perhaps an exception for extreme recoveries when racing but I'm no racer so IDK).
ski holidays
jedster, I never used the pole straps until I started skiing deep snow of piste because I once lost a pole in deep snow and pole plants are pretty essential when skiing steeps. I had an interesting ski down that particular face that day.
latest report
Zero_G wrote:
Juddernaut wrote:

How do you "do up" bindings? Insert toe of boot into toe piece, push heel of boot into heel piece. I can't, for the life of me, fathom how poles can be used for this.

The buckles have holes in the casting. With buckle undone, stick pole in hole. Push pole to apply leverage and fasten the buckle. Easier than trying to muscle them shut by hand.
ski holidays
Juddernaut wrote:
Zero_G wrote:
Juddernaut wrote:

The buckles have holes in the casting. With buckle undone, stick pole in hole. Push pole to apply leverage and fasten the buckle. Easier than trying to muscle them shut by hand.

Ah buckles not bindings Toofy Grin
snow report
They are quite useful to ride up behind someone and release their binding without them knowing. Like while they're using their poles to point at a piste map, or waving them at an attractive vista and blocking out the top of a run, or while their pootling along some cat-track 3 abreast, or just about to drop into a vicious couloir. Oh, how we laughed.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andy wrote:
Thought even boarders use poles now? with a go pro on the end for a bit of self gratification Wink Avoids the tellytubby look.

And I thought boarders only use poles for self flagellation. Shocked
latest report
While in the Dolomites at Christmas, we rode a lift with an older lady, and as we alighted the exit was a sharp left turn, and the chairlift continued straight on, she tried to put her hands through the straps of her poles, and got hit on the head with the chair, knocking her to the ground.(she had a helmet on so just a bit dazed).
According to ski etiquette, was I wrong to chortle before asking if she was ok??? Confused
ski holidays
After careful review of the FIS rules, I can find no mention of laughter, enjoyment or anything remotely fun to do with ze act of skiing. I do not know if this is an error of omission or their intention... although I suspect I know...

@Mike-H, nah, we use our own boards for that... a.k.a 'The Scorpion'
snow report
@Zero_G, I used to use pole straps until I realised what was underneath the snow in various places offpiste. Now I don't even have straps on my poles - lose on one the piste and usually some kind soul will stop and chuck it at me (not happened yet that I remember, losing one, not having one chucked at me, that kind of thing happens all the time) and offpiste I don't want my arms strapped to a pole with deep snow about, nearly suffocated as it is going in face first, with the poles holding my arms too it could have been properly unpleasant.
snow report
@Richard_Sideways, I think the idea of the FIS rules is to stop you interfering with other peoples fun unless the rides in the rescue sledge are fun. Very Happy
snow conditions
I used to have some nice old bamboo poles which were quite fun to wave around. Must look out for another pair.
snow conditions
@Zero_G,

certainly jump turns are tough without poles but I'd argue poles are less important in deep snow. If I find myself on steep chalk / firm snow I would still use my straps (poles can be some use in self arrest) but given the avvy thing I've now officially stopped using them in deep snow Very Happy
ski holidays
I have a lovely pair of poles in the garage which, dating from the 1980s, have sword grips rather than straps. Excellent design, easy release when you want to and just right for poling along on the flats. Very Happy
latest report
This thread has made me paranoid about ski poles now! I'm now so concerned about how I use them that I'm bound to over think and almost guaranteed to do my self an injury the next time I get off a lift Very Happy I blame you SH'ers NehNeh
ski holidays
This thread has turned out very funny Happy

Quote:

In the Dolomites, I had a full Tyrolean brass band ski past me (and I am no slouch) and none of them had poles. To add insult to injury, they were playing their instruments at the time, including a tuba
True story.

Love it! At the Lord Mayors Parade there was a brass band on horseback playing their instruments but this totally takes it.
ski holidays
Lol I try and get my wrists in my poles so that when I come off I can just ski away! Never had any incidents with it!
snow report
Best use of poles would be for helping a tired 5 year old get home when he threatened to fall asleep on the piste. Hold poles horizontally like a bar, put said child between legs leaning over poles and ski down. Bloody back breaking but very useful at the time!

I'm going to all self conscious when I get on a lift now
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy