Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mid layer for new shell jacket

Poster: A snowHead
ulmerhutte wrote:
Never heard of anyone put a layer on TOP of a shell. Something new for me. Perhaps it is done in climbing circles, but I have not seen it on the snow.

I've not seen it in uk particularly, but every day I see it in BC. Stuff your down jacket in your shovel pack, then when you stop for lunch, pull it out, put it over the shell. Same thing if there's an emergency or other delay. You don't need hugely thick down.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Makes sense.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
redbaron51 wrote:
hi all....have been a a local Blacks store and tried the Mountain Equipment Lightline down under my shell....It feels great.

I was thinking about ME Lightlines while I was fixing the dripping tap in the kitchen this morning.

Warmer Weather: Base layer + fleece + shell jacket.
Cold weather: Base layer + fleece + ME Lightline (the Lightline's seams are not waterproof, but it has a snowproof shell).

So if you did buy a Lightline, you could see how you get on, and either stick with your plan of using it as a midlayer, or adopt the layering system above, which is pretty close to the system that I've been wittering on about.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If your shell already has a hood, you don't need a hood on your mid-layer, it will only create bulk. I normally use a merino base layer, a fleece-type mid layer and a down vest, which I can easily stick into backpack if I decide I am warm enough without it. When it's really cold instead of down vest I use a down sweater. Just one layer under pants should also be enough. I have fleece pants but never used them yet even when we had this very cold spell few seasons ago. Good idea to try everything together before buying and work out which size you need. I found that Arcteryx clothes (at least shells and pants) don't work for me. I am a girl and need an XS pants but they are at least 4 inches too short than I need, S is noticeably too big, and S shell is too narrow around shoulders despite the claim of a very "generous fit" (I think it was Expedition) and on their charts I measured closer to XS, but M is on a big side and huge around waist. Had to send everything back - they have a good return policy. I stick with Scandinavian brands as their sizing work way better for me.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just a heads up on Mountain Equipment; I`ve got a Vega jacket, and the pocket split in the first week of use; it was a gift, and they would not warranty it without a receipt. Arcteryx on the other hand have just repaired a Sabre jacket for me after 3 years, no questions asked, goodwill repair. My atom fits easily under a Sabre or a Stingray, despite being lofty; I have a hood on the midlayer, but only because I have Surfer`s Ear, where the bone grows over the hole... gotta keep it warm !
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The number of down jackets available is quite overwhelming...I honestly cannot find a way of "comparing like-for-like".

Quite like the Arc'tery Atom AR jacket; so another one for me to look into. Also saw (on the net) Montane Anti-freeze which looks quite nice a a good spec. Again I am quite overwhelmed by the number of downs available....

Please keep sharing your thoughts are they are quite helpful.

thanks again
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Down is very appealing, but not that practical, as you need to keep it dry. Personally, I have found that I have used man made fill insulation far more often than down. I did buy a Montane down featherlite, as my wife has one, and it is well designed, but it was badly finished, so look inside and check the stitching of anything that you buy. This is what it looked like;

The Arcteryx Cerium was a perfect slim fit, but too expensive for me, so I will be looking for one in the summer!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Marmot Isotherm jacket, a lot thinner than down lightweights and is synthetic filling, really light though and sports pursuit were doing them on discount.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've got a Berghaus asgard hybrid jacket which I use on very cold days, it's a combination of both down and synthetic fill insulation, with the down pannels being placed around the core where they're less likely to get wet. It's also hydrophobic down.... Worth a look maybe?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@cstreat, thanks for pointing out the stitching issue.....How would an Arcteryx Cerium compare to an Atom AR/LT? Is it just a case of thinking that a down will be warmer than a synthetic model?

@2planks I will check the Marmot Isotherm, thanks for the tip

@tomb I will check the Berghaus Asgard jacket, thanks for the tip
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
redbaron51, weight for weight, down is warmer than current synthetics but has its cons as do synthetics (just google "down vs synthetic" for full details).

If you're mountaineering or touring, you may choose down because of the weight factor but then have to deal with it getting wet and losing its insulating properties. If you're mainly skiing in resort or lift-served off piste and weight is not a factor, you may choose synthetic.

My personal experience with down is that it is better as an outer jacket, i.e. on its own or over a shell when you're doing something less active like belaying or sitting (or walking around the resort) because I don't think it regulates temperature as well as synthetics, silk or wool. I find I end up overheating and feeling clammy with a down mid layer if I'm doing something active like skiing or climbing. I far prefer synthetic insulation for active times and appreciate the easy care of synthetics. Primaloft and Arc'teryx's own Coreloft are very good but there are quite a few more available these days.

Conversely, a guy I ski with swears by down and won't even consider synthetics. When it comes to synthetics, I never use fleece because, like down, it leaves me feeling clammy.

It depends on how your own body regulates temps, your budget, the intended activities, etc.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@redbaron51,

ME lightline is an excellent piece of kit as is your Arc'teryx shell. Where do you ski and do you run cold? The reason I ask is that speaking personally, I have almost never (perhaps a handful of days in hundreds) found conditions in Europe cold enough to make that combination not too warm for skiing. That is not to say that there have not been more chairlift rides when it would have been nice but I would have been overheated and steamy by the bottom of the next run. Steamy isn't good because you'll struggle to get the moisture out through the down jacket and the shell. The lightline is really a classic alpine "belay jacket" - something you put on when you are stationary in very cold conditions watching your partner run out the rope on a hard pitch but take off again before you do anything energetic. Unless the weather is truly ferocious.

People do vary so if you tend to be cold when your mates are still toasty, this might be right for you. However if you want to go down the down route, I'd think about something a bit lighter/thinner like RAB microlight (comes in a non hoody version I think) or ME arête. For me, even that would likely be too warm 90% of the time.
I tend to wear merino base, merino mid layer and shell. If it is cold (-5 to -10), I'll add a powerstretch vest. If it's really cold (<-10) I might add a thin fleece.
When I use a down jacket it is when I am standing around outside in very cold conditions (e.g., lunch stop when early season touring). And then I would put it on over the top of the shell, put it back in the rucsac when I start being active again. It seems odd wearing something over a shell but think about it - if it is cold enough to justify down, it's almost never wet.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yeah the Lighline's been around for about 25 years, back when a "duvet" was a jacket. They should be solid. I use PHD and RAB quite a bit.

I don't ride much in the rain, but if I did it'd be warm, so I would not likely be using down. If conditions changed I'd put the down under the shell, not over it.

Thinking about it, using lighter weight down jackets, and using them over the shell, seems to have become more popular recently. Back in the day down jackets ("duvets") were for rescues and the pub only. The more modern thin stuff (thinner than the Lighline although it's the same concept) are more like fleeces anyway.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't think down breathes as well as fleece. i generally carry a packable down jacket or gilet but it usually only goes on if I am expecting a chilly lift ride or am stopping outside for a bit. Only if I have got really cold do I wear it for actually skiing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arno wrote:
I don't think down breathes as well as fleece.

I don't think down breathes as well as any other insulating material. I've even gone so far as to to replace my down duvets with a silk-filled duvet for summer and a wool-filled duvet for winter. I sleep much better now.

Slightly off topic but relevant.
ski holidays
Zero_G wrote:
silk-filled duvet for summer and a wool-filled duvet for winter

I never knew such things existed!
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
I don't think down breathes as well as fleece. i generally carry a packable down jacket or gilet but it usually only goes on if I am expecting a chilly lift ride or am stopping outside for a bit. Only if I have got really cold do I wear it for actually skiing

Same here. Mine is usually only worn when I'm standing about waiting for the ski schools to come back down.
latest report
Arno wrote:
Zero_G wrote:
silk-filled duvet for summer and a wool-filled duvet for winter

I never knew such things existed!

Oh they are glorious! Gingerlily for the silk and Devon Duvets for the wool.
latest report
Quote:

I don't think down breathes as well as fleece.

Technically, I think down does breathe well but by the time you have put a down proof fabric (bvery tight weave to stop the down escaping) around it you have a very windproof barrier. It's typically something like pertex which does allow moisture through but not wind. And the truth is that for really good moisture transfer you want a bit of air flow too. Fleece is actually not very wind proof which really helps it to breath. In contrast windproof fleeces like windstopper are super sweaty if you wear them under a shell.

What I have realised is that for someone like me who runs quite hot and gets sweaty when I exercise its only sensible to have one windproof layer in my layering system. Generally that is goretex (also waterproof of course) so I don't want to have another windproof layer underneath it (whether that is a windstopper membrane, a pertex shelled down or a tightly woven faced softshell). I want to wear HIGHLY breathable insulation layers underneath (powerstretch fleece and merino knits both work really well for me).
snow conditions
Quote:

I've even gone so far as to to replace my down duvets with a silk-filled duvet for summer and a wool-filled duvet for winter

suspect wool and silk don't need the same very tightly woven fabric to keep them from escaping
ski holidays
@jedster, if I am touring, I go for a different approach (I am also a sweaty beast). I tend to wear a mesh baselayer with a very light windcheater (Patagonia Houdini) over the top on the way up, then put my midlayer (usually a light fleece) and shell on straight over the top. Using the vapour barrier theory. Works quite well, particularly on yo-yo days, because it stops the insulating layer from getting sweaty
ski holidays
@Arno, where in your described layering set up do you wear the vapour barrier? Under the mesh base layer? How well does such a layering system work whilst touring? Keen to know having never tried it myself?

Edit : my bad, I can see you use the houdini after a second read :/
snow conditions
jedster wrote:
@redbaron51,

you'll struggle to get the moisture out through the down jacket and the shell. .

That's part of the reason why I'm not a fan of wearing heavy jackets as midlayers (even when it is really cold).

If you wear a heavy down (or better still a heavy synthetic) jacket instead of a shell, you can unzip it to let the heat out when you get hot.

Obviously the above is for very cold conditions, I still prefer thin shells for most days.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 20-01-15 23:48; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Quote:

I tend to wear a mesh baselayer

I saw a guy skinning up at Christmas in a string vest. I was thinking about putting a fleece on under my jacket Shocked
snow conditions
@musher, my mesh baselayers are like long sleeve string vests. my wife can barely control herself* when i wear them Laughing

* the gag reflex obviously
latest report
Found a good light weight fleece which I wear as layer 3 over 2 thin layers when v cold, though not yet needed this season. Seems be be really good wicking away moisture. It is the free fleece with a National Geographic £15 subscription!
ski holidays
Brnyje mesh base layers FTW! Cannot be beaten for warmth retention and wicking IMO. Might not be high up on fashion but functionally they are amazing. All the Scandinavian armies use them. One of those plus one mid layer fleece plus my Dawn Patrol Hybrid shell was all I needed this year.
snow report
I think I am going to get an Icebreaker LS Merino BaseLayer (200 or 260), fleece as 2nd layer and shell. I will probably spend more time researching which down to buy (ME Lightline is nice, Montane Featherlight looks good but bit inferior then ME Lightline. Also want to try Arctery Atom AR Hoody).

Anyway I hope I can go skiing this season.....I normally go to Italy...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy