Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl. Best bits. Talk to me!

Poster: A snowHead
@hedley, yeah I was just thinking last Friday as I was having my last gluhwein of the week that it's a real shame they don't have the smoking ban like we have in the UK. It is really noticeable.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@VolklAttivaS5, If you see a group of about 10 Brits hooning around recklessly with a piloted sit ski then say hi from me.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Frosty the Snowman, I'm back home now I came back Boxing Day mind.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hey All,

I have been reading the chain of messages, great amount of information here. i will get my piste map out later and mark all the recommendations.

I have few unanswered questions that some of you Ischgl experienced maybe able to answer.

1. our group has a mixture of skiers and boarders, what runs borders should avoid ? I.E uphill or flat for too long ?
2. i have the option to pre book train/bus tickets from innsbruck to the Ischgl. is there any benefit in doing so ? except for time saving factor ?
3. A bit off an unorthodox question. for the more gym and fitness people. are there any good places that serve a more clean type of food ?

Thank you.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
1. Not too many that I can think of. Only 2 that stand
- Run #3 - drag lift G2 is worse than flat, it's little peaks and troughs so you're constantly overtaking the drag.
- Run #80, the duty free run in to Samnaun. Most of it's fine though gets flat towards the start of the village...and dead flat from the start of the village to the gondola station (though I believe there's a bus).

3. Depends what you mean. For is generally of a high standard - but you are in the Austrian alps so basically meat+.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes the G2 lift. It's the lift that actually drags you down 10 meters along the way rolling eyes

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 7-01-16 11:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I wouldn't open a can of faff and mess around with trains etc. Unless you are a small group??

Alpentaxi are a local Ischgl firm and do a transfer for up to 8 to the airport.and back. . It's an hour door to door and I can recommend another firm if you need a larger mini bus ??

350 euro return.

http://www.alpentaxi.at
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good Afternoon all,

Just got back from a week in Ischgl. It was Incredible.

Thank you all for the recommendations. Especially food locations and the best runs.

You guys Rock.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Red 60 down into Samnaun Compatsch, it's a mojo-topper-upper when you're feeling the fear! And virtually empty. The Pizzeria (http://www.samnaun.org/) at the bottom is fabulous. We went back 3 times, and the staff were lovely. (take the right turn) Lots of runs to keep you busy, over to Switzerland and back. Don't be fooled by the Duty-free though, it's bleedin pricey.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hedley wrote:
I wouldn't open a can of faff and mess around with trains etc. Unless you are a small group??

Alpentaxi are a local Ischgl firm and do a transfer for up to 8 to the airport.and back. . It's an hour door to door and I can recommend another firm if you need a larger mini bus ??

350 euro return.

http://www.alpentaxi.at

Train to Ischgl was super easy and cheep 17 euro and 90 min later i was at the resort.

It was just two of us so taxi was too costly.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We get there on Saturday and I can't wait!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Harry Flashman,

i am well jel
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gnave wrote:
Train to Ischgl was super easy and cheep 17 euro and 90 min later i was at the resort.

It was just two of us so taxi was too costly.

What did you do, train to Landeck then the bus/taxi/something else from there up to Ischgl?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Presumably yes. The train from Munich to Landeck is also cheap: 39e return. I remember the bus from Landeck to Ischgl was 7e last winter.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Super Easy.

Go on this link https://tickets.oebb.at/en/ticket
Select the outbound to "Innsbruck Hbf"
Select you destination "Ischgl Mehrzweckhaus" (that is the center)

You will receive a full set of instructions: Stations, platform ETC and the option to book your tickets.
So basicly:
1 from Innsbruck airport you take bus F to the train station. (you pay for this on the bus)
2 Train station to Landeck
3 Landeck to ischgl with connecting bus.

Honestly i would not even consider paying for a taxi, its the most easy journey i ever made.

If you book it all online Train and bus it will cost you around 17 euros
latest report
Useful to know.
snow conditions
We hope to go to Ischgll March 7th to 11th ..we would be looking for a private instructor for 2 people for 2 hours a day ,,we would be grateful if anyone could recommend some one ..we are two nervous intermediates . rolling eyes thanks in advance Very Happy
snow report
There is only one ski school in Ischgl so you'll have to book with them. I've not used them but believe they have a good reputation.
snow report
@alicia, Lessons are 1.5 hrs, 3 hrs or 4.5 hrs. I have sent you a pm.
ski holidays
Currently in Ischgl. A great place. Town and skiing superb. It has been very warm this week +6 in town and around 0 to -2 at 2800m.

Storing boots and skis at Silvretta is a boon and good value.

Schatzi good fun once or twice but the novelty wears off (I'm taking the 5th on anything else) after a while.

The ribs at kitzloch are amazing as is all the restaurant food but the wine in the restaurants is expensive in my opinion.

See and Galtur/Wirl are lovely ski areas with good pistes/ski tours and restaurants.

Haus Brandhof apartments are very good but are up a steep hill opposite the town.

Last day skiing tomorrow and we are planning lunch in Alp Bella.
ski holidays
@mayr ..thank you , I got your message , we will be in touch , my friend has an ankle injury so I just want to see how it improves , then we will make plans Very Happy
snow report
A great deal of fresh snow today and still continuing to fall. Temps still a little warm but due to fall during the week. More snow predicted midweek.
Cool
snow report
Great sunny piste skiing day today. Shall spend the day demoing slalom skis tomorrow, and then back to the fatties for Wednesday's (fingers crossed) big snow day...
ski holidays
Quick report of "old" boys trip to Ischgl 1st - 4th Feb, 2016.

Getting there was interesting, Easyjet into Innsbruck. The pilot attempted to land in fog, pulled out of the landing just before touch down, tried again 20 minutes later, pulled out again ... landed in Munich to fuel up, tried again to land at Innsbruck, then diverted to Salzeburg ... we picked up a hire car, then spent 1 1/2 hours sitting on the motorway queuing through Austria's ad hoc immigration controls.

The skiing was excellent given the conditions, 2 days of sunnyish and 2 days where the weather closed in with snow and flat light. This really is an intermediates paradise with lots of reds and quite easy blacks, as is often the case the blacks were more enjoyable for being less crowded. IMO the runs back into town should be graded blacks since these appeared steeper than the blacks in the main area, but you can bubble home. The lift system is excellent and you can acheive a lot of vertical quickly, giving you nice long runs down. We did a 50km + day with 17 runs which did not seem to involve a huge amount of effort. Thankyou for previous posters, we worked through the list from this thread and this was good advice.

If you are looking for alpine charm in your mountain restaurants or in the town, you are in the wrong resort. The mountain restaurants with a few exceptions (Bodenalp which I can recommend) have the atmosphere of motorway service areas, offering Teutonic efficiency but little rustic mountain atmosphere.

If you are used to French resorts, as I am, don't expect to have a sundowner at 16.00 on the mountain, the shutters come down before then, and the emphasis is to get everyone off the mountain and into the bars in the town. The only mountain bar that we felt welcome in in late afternoon was the Alpenhaus.

Apres Ski .. I guess that this is what Ischgl is about. The town did not seem as vulgar or bad taste as others have suggested! We did call in at the Trofana Alm and Nikis Stadl ... I wondered about the deal I had to make with the Devil to be 30 years younger ... actually really fun places but not for a quiet chat. We enjoyed the Kiwi Bar for a bit of 70's rock and a pint of Guinness or two.

Food ... If you like half an animal on your plate Ischgl is the place is for you. We ate twice at Baura Kucha Loba which struck a good balance between quality and quantity. We also ate at La Candela a reasonable quality and priced Pizzeria. We also ate at the Kitzloch which I thought was over priced, especially the wine and we had a somewhat creepy waiter.

Finally, we stayed at the Hotel Garni Angela which is family run, clean, excellent breakfasts, bar and lounge, on the edge of town but 5 minutes to the centre of town. Was not unreasonably priced especially if you e-mail the hotel directly, rather than use any of the booking websites.

Did I enjoy the trip ... yes I did
Would I go back ... probably not ... we will look for somewhere a bit more traditional next year.
snow report
Regarding the runs back, assuming you followed the red route and didn't take any of the black shortcut sections I think they get away with calling it read because every step section's also very wide and usually has a loop track you can take.
snow conditions
alicia wrote:
We hope to go to Ischgll March 7th to 11th ..we would be looking for a private instructor for 2 people for 2 hours a day ,,we would be grateful if anyone could recommend some one ..we are two nervous intermediates . rolling eyes thanks in advance Very Happy

Ask for Hannes or Michael from ischgl ski school, great guys and locals too. Hannes' dad was the headmaster of the school in ischgl
latest report
Or Mayr.
snow conditions
Anyone coming to Ischgl and wanting lessons I would advise to book your lessons well in advance of your arrival.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whats the cheapest hire shop preferably near the Silvrettabahn ski lift .Or is the a cartel in the Village
ski holidays
Muse playing Ischgl on 30 April.

http://www.ischgl.com/de/events/top-events/top-of-the-mountain-concert_topevent233067
ski holidays
@nozawaonsen, Not a huge fan myself - but a massive improvement over recent years in my opinion - they are very good live.
latest report
Live music always good. Elton John gave a fab concert up there and I'd never have thought myself a fan of his. Silbermond are playing at Easter. I quite enjoy them too.
latest report
Personally i'd have preferred the hoff, but Muse aren't bad - maybe i can convince them to cover looking for freedom via twitter...
snow report
wasley wrote:
Whats the cheapest hire shop preferably near the Silvrettabahn ski lift .Or is the a cartel in the Village

Dunno bout cartel but there is a hire shop underneath the Silvrettabahn and Alpinresort hire shop behind the Silvrettabahn. We hired on line from Alpinresort shop. Cost about £93 for top of the range skis for one week. Got a good service and the equipment was good quality.
latest report
Any bars in Ischgl be showing the 6 nations this Saturday?
ski holidays
barrymct wrote:
Any bars in Ischgl be showing the 6 nations this Saturday?

We tried finding a bar for football and drew a blank until we were directed to the Hotel Arnika. They don't widely advertise but we were told by a lovely lady in Kitzloch to go to hotel reception and tell them what we wanted to watch. We did just that and were taken in to a little back room (granny's parlour was the description) and sure enough the hotel owner put the footie on and kept us regularly supplied with Schnapps Laughing

If you don't find anywhere then try this option.
latest report
Think but not entirely sure that the bar in the hotel Nevada shows it.
snow conditions
We're driving out to Ischgl for Easter, arriving Saturday 26th March. A friend has warned of delays at the border from Germany into Austria due to extra security because of refugee situation. I wondered if anyone has experienced this, and what delays we may expect if any?
ski holidays
@Slippery Slope, Overplayed tbh - we crossed at Fussen on Boxing Day with no security delays just general traffic.
snow report
@AthersT, Thanks for that - I thought that may be the case. I suspect it may be more of an issue at the eastern part of Austria.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy