Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl. Best bits. Talk to me!

Poster: A snowHead
just booked flights for next feb to Innsbruck with intention of going to Ischgl, which is unusual as I usually leave it for a bit. So impressed with the place.
In Galtur the Faulbrunnalm was the worst place all week. Felt like I was in france with shocking service and useless staff. But was the only blot on the holiday.

missing knodel already so off to St anton on Saturday.. well that's my excuse. Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
HoneyBunny wrote:
Glad you had a great time! I was impressed with the loos as well, much nicer than French ones (sorry France).

How was Chalet Zita? Did you enjoy the apres too?

I'd love to go back but I have a wedding to save for...

Yes I was thinking the whole time God these loos are just so much better than any French resort I've ever been to apart from the one in Galtur which reminded me of Tignes actually! I will await the flaming! But it's true.

Chalet Zita. Well, my room was a good size with comfortable bed and it was in a nice quiet spot next to a waterfall as it's up the hill. Bathrooms are very dated though with old fashioned suites and not the best but it was ok as I just had baths all week and didn't use the rubbish shower. Naff blanket style curtain covering the bathroom window. That said poorly designed bathrooms are one of my pet hates so I'm probably a lot more harsh than the average person would be. No lift for luggage transportation. Dining area and lounge are too small for the number of guests. Can't get WiFi in the rooms only in the lounge and dining room. Staff were good, friendly and helpful. Didn't use the ski hosting. Food was average to good sometimes very nice. Transfers and flights were excellent. Loads of hot water no matter what time of day and at peak times. Could ski back to chalet to within about 25m. The chalet is up a hill but only a few mins walk downhill to the elevator that takes you down to the town and therefore the moving walkway which takes you to Fimbabahn and Pardatschgratbahn. You can also walk down the hill the other way to the Silvrettabahn which takes about 5-10 mins.
Would I stay there again? No but that's only because I'd prefer to stay down in the town there are stacks of hotels and garnis to choose from and as I always take earplugs on holiday anyway the noise wouldn't bother me. I'd go B&B next time though so I didn't have to go back for dinner after I'd gone back got washed and changed and went for a drink, I'd rather just get something to eat straight after skiing or later on.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah, that's what the guys in our group said about it but I didn't want to put you off! I couldn't go B&B because otherwise I'd stay out partying and never go back for dinner lol
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@HoneyBunny, yeah, also I'd prefer a hotel bar like they had at the Belmonte their other chalet/hotel, that one was same distance to lift but couldn't ski back to it.

That hill kept me fit all week though!

Ischgl is pretty hilly! I liked that and the town was not as brash as I was expecting.

Quite often I find I don't want an evening meal, as long as I have enough food during the day/late afternoon over a 24 hour period I'm happy enough, I didn't eat 2 of the evening meals at the chalet plus the chalet night off so it's not worth it for me.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@VolklAttivaS5, better luck next time with the weather Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@HoneyBunny, Lightweight. We stay B&B and stay out partying. Good breakfast and good lunch keeps us going.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Corky, ha, maybe next time!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mayr wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5, better luck next time with the weather Very Happy

Thanks, it didn't matter I was glad to have those last 3 days of brilliant snow after all that snowing!

Looking forward to going back there.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ischgl have announced their openning concert. 28 November. Supertramp. "When I was young, it seemed that life was so wonderful,
A miracle, oh it was beautiful, magical." etc.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The news is out then!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well we're taking the plunge and the boys ski trip in January will be to Ischgl 23rd - 30th January Very Happy . Lots of great info in this thread but does anyone have recommendations for transfer companies from and back to Innsbruck?

Accommodation not confirmed yet but it's looking like Apartments Brandhof, which seem to be on the opposite side of the river and main road (B188?) to the main town.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Train + Bus = Easy wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Train about an hour £20 return. Bus also an hour £6 each way or taxi from Landeck about £50 each way. Four seasons taxis have a good reputation. About £260 return from Innsbruck..
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Corky, thanks for the tips. Not sure we can be ar$ed to change but I'll throw it out to the group. Found a shared transfer for £138 return (4 persons) which seems reasonable.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yep, Brandhof is on the 'wrong' side of the river - and main road - but shouldn't be too bad. Looking at it's position my recommendation would be to store your skis in the secure public storeage place under the Fimbabahn bottom lift station, rather than lugging them around each morning/apres ski evening.
snow conditions
@Mjit I would have preferred something more central but was outvoted, still the walk will do me good in tbe morning. , Good tip re ski storage. I had wondered which would be the better place. . Thanks Toofy Grin
ski holidays
The storage is in lockers. €2 to put them away, same to get them out again. You can easily get two pairs in plus boots and helmets.
snow conditions
Hi guys,

Trying to organise a week for 16 people for next February, and after doing Saalbach last year and loving it, it sounds like Ischgl will be a good place to try next.

We are all mid 20s guys + girls intermediate to advanced skiiers but our main concern would be the apres and nightlife!

Given that we are currently all quite open to which week to go, has anyone any recommendations about which would be the ideal week? I believe the Austrian school holiday is around 8th to 19th of February so would it be best to avoid these dates?

It looks like the first or last week in February might be the best. I guess also the first week in March could also be considered, but would there be a marked change in the resort once we get into March - wee bit less lively, less ski shows and nighttime events etc? (as well as greater chance of bad snow).

Thanks for any input. I may sound like I'm fussing over dates, and I'm sure we will have a great week whichever we choose, but given the rare occasion that 16 of us can go basically any week between Christmas and Easter I want to try and make sure we pick the best one!!

P.S. any recommendations on value accommodation would also be appreciated Little Angel

Thanks!
snow conditions
@barrymct, if you can go for the first week in March. Feb is very busy and the resort will still be very lively etc in March. I went at the end of April and still had some great nights. Also Ischgl's pistes are almost all above 2000m so snow is usually good till May.

Value is subjective - cheap is unlikely in Ischgl.
latest report
@barrymct, don't worry about the apres, I've never been to any ski resort with more packed and lively bars!!
ski holidays
@barrymct, Don't worry about school holidays as Ischgl doesn't attract too many families. Early March better than February - snow just as good as a rule, longer days, normally better weather although can vary considerably. I normally go first or second week of March and its very, very busy and après ski and nightlife very lively. Whenever you decide to go book soon as trying to get accommodation for 16 people mightn't be easy as its high season. Beware though its unlikely to come cheap.
latest report
Second week of February is fasching so avoid that if you can or else book early (it'll be good for partying but very busy).
snow conditions
Appreciate the input.

Even having just now browsed a few options for accommodation on ischgl.com it looks like already a lot is booked up for groups our size. So I might not have the freedom to choose which week I thought I would! The first week of February seems to have most availability.
snow conditions
The first 2 weeks in March are usually fine from the apres point of view. It doesn't stop after that but the resort gets a little quieter and the party doesn't go mental in every bar, every night as it does in the heart of the season. That said there's 16 of you so you should be able to get things started.

Ischgl isn't exactly cheap when it comes to accomodation and keep an eye out for where cheaper places are actually located. There's a number of places up/down the valley that list themselves as "Ischgl" but you're looking at a bus in the morning/taxi at night.
snow report
Hotel Alpenrose is the best located "budget" accommodation in Ischgl. (relatively speaking)
I paid around 40 euros per night halfboard sharing a room with 3 mates for a week in January 2012.
It's a short transit through one of the internal travelator walkways to the Pardatsgrat (sp?) lift and Schatzi Toofy Grin
Doubt they'd be able to accommodate a group of 16 as they book up fast but worth asking. It's a fair sized hotel.
snow report
One other note for a group of 16 (and not staying somewhere with the your evening meal included) - either split up or book your restaurants at least the day before you want to eat.

Don't worry, you won't go hungry as you'll be able to get in somewhere but it won't be one of the better/more popular places.

Oh, and if you have any vegitarians in your group...lie to them and tell them they will be fine Very Happy
snow report
Mjit wrote:
Interesting how different people have different experiences and preferences but to me, and everyone I've been to Ischgl with the Trofana Alm is the WORST bar in Ischgl! Maybe we were just unlikey but it was rammed, took ages to get served/constantly jossled and one of the guys saw our first ever bit of fighty-ness in Ischgl (small german man trying to just push through a crowed...and changing his mind when much bigger german man he was pushing looked down at him and, quite politely suggested he think again, to the amusement of everyone around). Perhaps we should give it another go in March...

From where you are I'd actually suggest you skip the Silvrettaseilbahn and take the short walk to the Dorf tunnel and catch the travellators over to the Fimbabahn. In town you have 3 lifts - the big Silvrettaseilbahn in the middle (so closest for over half the town), the upgraded for this year Pardatschgratbahn low down at the other end (so closest to that end of town and flattest walk), and the smaller Fimbabahn higher-up in the middle (so harder for most people to reach and less inviting - but usually shorter-queued/queueless as a result).

When you get up to Idalp (via either Silvretta or Fimba) you have slope right in front of you that takes you to the B2 and B3 lifts...and their long morning/post lunch queues. We usually drop down the slope but swing behind those lifts and down across to blue 2 and play around C2/C3. This is a nice warm-up area and doesn't tend to get too busy as everyone else rushes sheep-like to the top of the mountain.

* One tip for Idalp - the toilets are down-stairs. You can wait for the world's slowest lift, or you can fight down the stairs in ski boots...of you can walk back to the gondola exit/ski locker area and take the escallator down! Amazing the number of people who don't know it's there and by far the easiet option.

There's been talk both ways on doing the village runs during the day. Don't do them first thing as you'll just hit the late-riser queues to get back up. Do them about 11 though and you'll have the piste to yourself and be skis off and straight back in to the gondola without stopping.

For lunch there's nothing wrong with going to Alp Bella for chicken every day... Smile

Apres... depends what you want really as Ischgl has something for all tastes and everywhere is busy and in party mode.

In the centre of town you've got Fire and Ice that kicks off later in the evening under the Silvretta lift. Opposite you have 3 bars in a row - the Kushtal where we feel old, one where we feel young and one age-appropreate but not that great (for Ischgl).
To the right of there (looking up the lift) you've got the Trofana Alm and I think 2 others, one more cocktail and the champagne bar that does beer too and has a bice balcony. There's one more that many miss - the Hotel Trofana bar. OK, so a plush bar with a good wine and spiritsd list and a man on a piano isn't classic Austrian apres but some times you just need a break!

The other way you've got the comedy cocktail bar (more or less under your hotel I think), where we've been moved tables as one was reserved (despite being the only people in there and no-one else coming in) and where the 'twist' in my Martini looked very like an olive.
Next if you turn right up the hill you get to the Kiwi bar, walking over the top of the Golden Eagle (yes going to a British theme pub's a little sad but nice place for a beer and some rock).
If you stay on the level (past the Eagle) you can take the Dorf tunnel through to 'the other side' of Ischgl. Down the metal steps you get:
- Some little bar we've never been pulled in to - doesn't look special.
- The big bar under the Elizabeth Hotel and right opposite the Pardasch. gondola/piste - yes you get some cleavage dancing on the bar, but a saussage-fest otherwise.
- Nikki's Stadl's is next to the river and just keeps going when everwhere else becomes a restaurant. As a result I can't tell you what it's like as I've never been sober-enough to remember it! Smile
- Last but not least you have the Kitzloch. This is your classic dancing-on-the-tables-in-ski-boots place and somewhere I've spent too much of my life Smile Table on the left is usually the owners, Arnot will be serving Williams mit birne in the square bar in front of you and DJ Boris will be in his booth to the right. Visit after 8pm and the BBQ ribs are amazing.

+1
snow conditions
T Bar wrote:
@Corky,
You're right, I meant Pardaschgratbahhn, but you can ski there.(Assuming normal snow low down that is)

It is quite often that the snow is down low (yesterday it already snowed), so this is definitely possible to ski.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere but Niki Ganahl, legendary host at Niki's Stadl died suddenly on 29th August aged 59. Very sad.
snow conditions
@downhillalltheway, Yes it has. I wonder what Niki's will be like without him. He was a real character.
snow conditions
Came back to Ischgl for another look after my first visit in April. Weather was sunny every day for the whole 2 weeks apart from a snowy day one day last week.
Today I went to Galtur, last April when I popped to Galtur this place the Faulbrunnalm was closed so I thought I would go in there this time. Of course I hadn't seen the comment below beforehand or I might not have done

mugen wrote:

In Galtur the Faulbrunnalm was the worst place all week. Felt like I was in france with shocking service and useless staff. But was the only blot on the holiday.

Agreed! Whilst the food was ok, I found the staff member who served me to be sarcastic and rude so I definitely wouldn't go back. The toilets were dirty and smelly as well (stale smell of toilets not cleaned properly in ages rather than a just used smell) nothing like in Ischgl where standards are very high.
Oh-a waitress was in the toilets when I was in there, couldn't help but notice she barely washed her hands as well as using toilet paper to dry them. Yuck. Very off putting.

Places I'd recommend for food in Ischgl

Dorf Cafe-nice food with friendly service
Trofana Alm Restaurant/Cafe next to it-delicious meal had there
Eggerstuberl restaurant up by the church-small in there with not many seats (so go early) yummy
Cafe Salner-probably the nicest meal all fortnight
Up the mountain I like the Alpenhaus
latest report
Back in Ischgl at the end of Feb.

What's new this year?

Any changes ,new lifts/ pistes or après establishments. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

Back in Ischgl at the end of Feb.

Me too! First time there though, so it'll be all new for me Cool
latest report
@hedley, there's the Prenner Tunnel walkway that goes through to the Pardatschgrat now that is new. It's next to the new Parking Lounge.
Where the Spar is, down the hill from there (to the right) is where it starts. There's a bus stop there too.
Not sure about new lifts as I only went for the first time in April this year anyway.
latest report
Thanks @VolklAttivaS5, They really do infrastructure well in Ischgl. Shocked

That's an impressive peice of civil engineering and all done in the close season.

It would never be finished in time here would it.
ski holidays
@hedley, no you're right they certainly do build quickly! I don't know when they started it but I can't remember seeing anything going on in April. With that said I'd never been before then so may not have been aware.

What's handy about it (apart from people being able to park and walk straight through undercover to the Pardatschgrat and get straight on it) is say you've been on the bus to Galtur you can get off at Tunnel Prenner earlier instead of waiting for the bus to drive around to Florianparkplatz (by Niki's Stadl) -which would have previously been the nearest stop to the Pardatschgrat-walk through the tunnel undercover and get straight on the escalator of the Pardatschgrat
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5,
Clearly you didn't see all the cranes etc last season....too busy skiing and apres skiing I suspect Very Happy
ski holidays
@mayr, no you're right I was too busy enjoying that lovely snow!
They still must have built it pretty swiftly though?
ski holidays
Corky wrote:
@downhillalltheway, Yes it has. I wonder what Niki's will be like without him. He was a real character.

I went into Niki's over the weekend. Was quite quiet. Hopefully it was just the time of year and it will get back to normal soon.
latest report
@downhillalltheway, A real character and will be sadly missed.

I find Nikki's far too smoke filled. Even my friends who smoke couldn't handle the fug of smoke in there.
Shocked

The one thing that still bugs me about Austria, but that's a whole other thread.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy