Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski dimentions 55-45 On-Off piste

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, I'm looking at purchasing my first own set of skis. I'm a medium to advanced level skier, i guess maybe 40 weeks skiing over 25 years of doing it, I have just always rented my skis though. So I've now decided that i'd buy a pair of my own (i'll look for a good value pair of 2nd hand) which will hopefully motivate me to do a) more skiing and b) will enable me to try a week of ski touring this year.

So I wonder if any of you knowledgable folks might be able to advise me what dimension ranges would be be ideal for a ski of 50-50 use on and off piste. I've got to be honest with myself about the fact that i will likely spend more on ski time on a piste, but i would like to do my first weeks ski touring this year and would like to have an appropriate ski for that. From having researched this a few years ago and then dropping the ball i think I remember that something in the 86-90mm underfoot range would be best?? Camber rocker suggestions?

And lastly touring bindings i guess is something that i need, any advice on these?

Thanks for you help.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 17-01-15 10:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For the bindings I'd definitely recommend some compromise; the latest gen of "freetour" bindings are excellent, such as the Marker Duke/Baron, F10 & 12. Tyrolia do an excellent selection as well as Salomon etc.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Would recommend something 80-90 mm under foot small tip rocker,flat tail.Bindigs Marker Baron or F12(personally love guardian/tracker 13 but not many people like them).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good touring bindings are very expensive - if it's just for a week's course to see how you like it I'd be inclined to rent suitable boots and skis (and skins). And focus on piste skiing and lift-served off piste for buying your own.

You've got your own alpine boots, presumably?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah, it's a good point Pam_w. I do have my own boots yes. I wonder if there is a ski dimension which will do a good job on each without too much compromise either way, or whether that's just not possible. I just feel that if you ski once every year, even once every two years it's bad value to rent to get mediocre equipment at best + to have the faff of picking up and dropping off each time. + If one was to by a 90 underfoot ski slight rocker tip, really if you were a good skier you'd still be able to ski pretty well on the piste wouldn't you. Don't we all get a little bit carried away with equipment spec being not right for this and perfect for that etc etc?

So yeah i guess the question that i'm looking for an unbiased answer to is, 'is there a ski which can do both well without too much compromise?'
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@jbk12, i have a pair off blizzard brahma @ 88mm wide but big shovels mounted with marker baron 13 , they are a perfect 50/50 on off ski , that rail on piste but are still great in all but the deepest fresh snow . and the bindings are bomb proof . and can be adusted to fit touring or alpine soles
dont get to tied up with the touring side as although these skis are a bit heavy for an out and out touring ski , they pay dividends everywhere else , and if you generally fit and only doing day tours to access good snow they will do the job without getting to techy ,
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I just feel that if you ski once every year, even once every two years it's bad value to rent to get mediocre equipment at best

Can't agree with that. If you ski once every two years it's definitely better to rent exactly the right ski for the conditions at the time and what you want to do. If you go to a good shop there's no reason why you should get "mediocre equipment at best".
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In my experience it's never that easy to get a 'higher quality' type ski in your appropriate size from a rental shop with a huge queue of tourists and a surly frenchman who want little more than to get you out of the shop. Yes you could say choose a better ski shop or don't go in there at peak time of day, but often neither are possible. Financially rental cost equivalent of 2/3 ski trips buys you a light use mid quality second hand pair that you could use for 6 seasons, does it not? It's possible I'm wrong, I ski once every two years for 1-2 weeks so not fully informed enough to benchmark exactly, but that's my general impression. Anyway, I'm digressing from the topic in hand Wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have the Tracker 16 bindings on both my fatter skis, love em. Kooky has the 13 version on her Atomic Automatics. I am happy doing half day tours on them, but rock solid when skiing.

I skied for 6 years on Nordica Enforcers, 98mm underfoot, twin tip, good for everything except on piste short turns. I've even been skiing on piste a lot lately with the 120mm Bent Chetlers and they are great fun; they can turn quickly, blast over crud and you can even carve them as long as it doesn't get too steep.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
No input in relation to touring bindings but I have just picked up a pair of Movement Scoop 2013 skis, slight rocker 102 underfoot, and after two days out they have been great on icy hardpack piste , and great in 30cm of fresh today. It is possible to find some skis for next to nothing if you are patient. I paid €110 for the skis, and if you can wait to search for the right bindings you will get a really cheap do it all set up. Only thing that never seems to come up cheap are the skins, but that's understandable if they need to be cut to size.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I presume that Ebay and the classifieds forum here is the place to look for good value 2nd hand gear, any other sources that i ought to be looking at?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy