Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Short(er) trips?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So after reading threads about people getting the train from London to the Alps I'm going to be in a position to take a short(er) break at the end of February. I work down in London fairly regularly but I'm based in the Lakes so getting the train wouldn't normally make sense otherwise from a cost/time perspective. So far as I can tell the earliest the train service runs is a Thursday? And I could return on a Sunday, this would only give 3 days skiing as the train wouldn't get in until late night/early morning Friday. So now I'm thinking it would probably make the most of the available time I have if I fly.

It is within the French school holidays, and Action Outdoors aren't offering any of their trips it seems this week-is it a particularly busy French holiday week?

Due to other commitments I've a reasonably tight set of dates could travel anywhere on the 24th (Feb) but would need to be back home for the 1st of March.

Any suggestions welcomed, I'd be travelling solo, unless I can find some on the forum who fancies joining me.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

So far as I can tell the earliest the train service runs is a Thursday?

Which train service are you thinking of? I think there are about 12 trains a day from Paris to Bourg st Maurice and I suspect more from London to Paris. The sleeper train will get get you into either Bourg or Paris early in the morning. I suspect your big problem will be the UK side of the journey rather than the French side. It is possible to get flight to CdG on the Monday evening and then catch the train in Paris getting to Bourg first thing Tuesday morning. Then you get get in 5 or 6 days skiing before returning home. Amazingly it costs only a bit more to get a train from Paris to Bourg than a transfer from Geneva

And yes you are traveling in half term so it may be more difficult get accommodation.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Bene, where are you able to fly to? If you can get to Innsbruck there is skiing within a very short distance and it might be less crowded than France in the school hols.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
or Turin?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@johnE, I just plugged some dates into the Eurostar Website and unless I'm being numb (it has been known) I can't see any availability earlier in the week for my dates.

@pam w, Thanks, I'm flying to Turn at the end of the month, I'm not limited where I can fly to, if the trip changes in scope I can ditch being in London and fly from Newcastle/Manchester/Glasgow.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Bene, Eurostar only run trains from London to Paris, Brussels and a few specials elsewhere. They do not offer a general train service. Think of it like visiting the easyjet site and expecting them to tell you about flybe flights (try opodo instead). Try http://uk.voyages-sncf.com/choose-your-outbound-journey or raileurope or other national train operators.

I would also consider getting a plane to Venice, Innsbruck or Verona and going to the Dolomites.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's quite a long transfer to the Dolomites from Venice. For a short trip it might be better to be somewhere you can get into the resort quickly. Turin for Aosta/Pila, for example. Or Bardonecchia.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you can fly you might consider Norway/Sweden where it is quite easy to arrange Thurs/Sun trips via skistar flying from Heathrow to Trondheim. If you look at deals on skistar you can often get a decent package through them with discounted lift pass and links to transfer bus services. We have done this several times very easily going to Are in Sweden with a short bus transfer of around 1hr 15 mins. Norwegian air and SAS go there. I'd check flights first.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Skiweekends do out on a Thursday, back on a Monday but that might be a bit too late. I went with them for a Mon-Thurs deal a few years ago and found them totally fine.

Before I opted for the Eurostar, I was also considering doing something like this: https://loco2.com/destinations/london-to-bourg-saint-maurice-by-train#intercites-de-nuit
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Eurostar will take you to French places though - there are better alternatives for the end of Feb.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Last year we took the Eurostar to Paris, then the Paris Milan train, alighted just as we exited the Alps Italy side at Bardonecchia, the station is 2 minutes from the main Pistes! The whole journey took about 6hrs
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy