Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

trip with none skiing wife, suggestions please

Poster: A snowHead
hi
next year wife has agreed we can go skiing, well I can she is just along for the après. I am toying with one or the Jan 3rs 5 day breaks, but if not then defo 21st Jan
any suggestions of good priced accom where for 3 hours a day she could either spa/pool or have good internet access etc while I ski.
not sure if a chalet would be good choice or just stick to apartments, and don't want her cooked up in a hotel room.
have done hammeau apts Montgenevre, but quite fancy new Napolean ones anyone been there?
any suggestions for similar resorts with good early snow and accom close to centre as she not keen on walking on ice etc
thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
the Parc Thermals spa in Saint Gervais has just been bought over by L'Oreal so I see that going upmarket & Megeve is in that neck of the woods for a look around.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.aqua-dome.at/en/activities/winter-service/
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
New wife?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
trip with none skiing wife, suggestions please

erm, divorce?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hell of a lot would depend on what your wife likes to do, personally I would go a bit stir crazy in Montgenevre if I wasn't skiing.
Not far away is Serre Chevalier, staying in Briancon gives you the facilities of a small town including a decent pool. Up the road is Monetier which is quiet but you can access Briancon on the bus and it has quite nice thermal springs.
Lots of Swiss resorts are well laid put for the Non skier, personally French purpose built doesn't really do it for me.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@cockerhoop, I had 2 sets of clients last year, with a similar thing; husband and grown up kids ski, wife doesn't. One family went to Megeve for 4 nights, nice hotel, lovely shops, cafes, pretty town, lots of beauty salons for spa treatments etc., Another to Courmayeur - some very nice hotels with pools etc., and well set up for short breaks. PM if you'd like more info
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+ 1 for Courmayeur....lovely for none skiing gals
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've been taking ski holidays for many years with exactly this problem. Two older skiing children and a wife who doesn't ski. My compromise has been to ski from first lift until I meet her for a lazy late lunch, then spend the afternoons together. I don't mind the early starts, and enjoy the good snow and quieter slopes in the morning, while she has a lie in, leisurely breakfast and a couple of hours to herself in the morning. It seems to work for us. She says that she prefers the larger chalet hotel style accomodation rather than self catering apartment, as she doesn't feel like the duty cook when left behind, and there are often a few people around during the day if she feels like being sociable. We had a great time in Saas Fee a few years ago in this manner, with loads to do around the village for her on her own and later in the day with me. Saas Fee is high so good for early snow, but a little small, although I also spent a day in Zermatt which was great.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@cockerhoop, also depends what type and extent of skiing you prefer...and your budget. Megeve is a lovely town, with access to a lot of varied skiing. Certainly not cheap though. Megeve hotels with spa and pool facilities likely to be costly. But there are some sociable chalethotels and apartments, without fancy facilities, more reasonably priced. The town has a high standard public sports centre, the Palais de Sports.
I also think Courmayeur is a very attractive town but far less extent and challenge of skiing than Megeve and the Evasion Mont Blanc linked area. Some great restaurants though.
Val D'Isere also a possibility and I know a couple who enjoyed a 'he skis/she doesn't' week there last season.
Apartment v Chalet down to personal preference...I find you tend to meet some interesting people in chalets / chalethotels. No cooking and washing up suits me.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think your original idea of staying at the Napoleon in Monty sounds a good one. Les Chalets de Jouvence in Les Carroz is also very good if you fancy a different ski area - it is also built by MGM and at the foot of the slopes but also near the shops etc.

La Clusaz might also be worth considering as it is a pretty town with a varied ski area and your wife would be able to get a bus to Annecy for the day to look at the shops/old town. There are a couple of lovely hotels with pools there.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thanks for comments as for budget well brochure prices at the mo are putting me off booking, last christmas hols I trawled web daily for offers for same week I intend to go, and lots of deals around £400 rather than the £600-700 been shown now, and what was interesting was once into 2016 the prices went up so best deals about 4 weeks before. I have priced up a week in Montgenevre, 5 nights hammeau and 2 in Turin hotel + hire car + flights and its slightly less than a package for a week in Hammeau coming in at about £1100, that would give us a car for afternoon trips out etc and a meal in Claviere as no one ever seems to run a taxi there!!!! so I am tempted by that.
was good to here about chalet experience as we are a lat middle aged couple and don't want to end up with a load of 20 year olds for the week, but that the risk you take
keep suggestions coming. Montana hope that gives you an idea of budget
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@cockerhoop, Pound has dropped quite a bit since last year so prices will almost inevitably rise though maybe not by 50%
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

was good to here about chalet experience as we are a lat middle aged couple and don't want to end up with a load of 20 year olds for the week, but that the risk you take

As some one past middle aged I would prefer to be in a chalet with 20 year olds than middle aged.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
i will hold my nerve until December before booking anything
might even do one of the 5 day trips on offer first week of Jan
ski holidays
Having spent years (since 1987) looking for ideal places to stay to ski and also to do other things (because my parents had come along or we had young children in tow and/or I was pregnant, or because more latterly we`ve had my elderly Aunt with us) I have concluded it is as much about the accommodation you book as the place you choose to stay! I will also freely admit to not been a wonderfully keen skier myself, I like time to swim, to explore an area and actually to cook with different choices from England in the shops!

For us it has meant always having a car in resort but we have done everything from camping in the caravan, at sites with a pool complex, to a really rather nice catered chalet with spa etc. We`ve stayed in alpine towns and had to drive/bus/train up to ski each day and in ski in/out places.

If anyone ever finds the ideal place please let me know!

rolling eyes Laughing

Much to my surprise some of the most enjoyable stays have been in cheapish catered chalets (loved the company which outweighed not being able to cook lol), in Jan after the New Year week you should expect to find some very good deals. Many will come with a hot tub, free wifi and fabulous views. Pick a resort which also has a spa/pool complex and if you take a car, is situated somewhere within an easy drive for the odd afternoon out!
snow conditions
@cockerhoop, have you looked at Samoens? The town is very pretty and is in the valley, so will not be as cold or icy as up higher. Plenty to do in town, and lots of choices of accommodation. Also only 45 minutes from Geneva. She would be able to come up the bubble to Samoens 1600 to join you for lunch if she wanted.

For you, it's up the bubble and then on up to the Tete de Saix, where you are in the heart of the Grand Massif area with lots of options for routes to ski.
ski holidays
Get a mistress and meet her at the start or end of biz trips.
snow conditions
Quote:

is in the valley, so will not be as cold or icy as up higher.

Last winter for much of the (snow drought) time there were big inversions so the valley bottoms were far colder than higher up. In some resorts artificial snow was blown in the valleys and scooped into tipper trucks and taken up the hill.

Samoens is very open and not close to the mountain so presumably gets lots of sunshine even in winter - some valley-bottom towns have relatively short hours of sunshine in winter.

To avoid that horrid insecure feeling of walking on snowy/icy surfaces, buy some crampons. https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=crampons&tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
But many other valley-bottom towns are not hemmed in by mountains and would be ideal solutions.

Bagnierres de Luchon, Aosta and Biancon all spring to mind.

As for cheap apartments - check out AirBnB.
latest report
Look at Zell am See/Kaprun. Glacier skiing, lovely location, train to Salzburg for a day out, lots of nice low level walking. Great spa just outside Kaprun.
latest report
When booking later on in a chalet, ALWAYS ask who the other guests are - they should be able to tell you if is one big group booked or couples or families - and also often a rough idea of age range.
snow report
@homers double, +1
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow conditions
@Elizabeth B, +1 taking my mostly non-skiing partner there for the third year running because she loves it so much. My non-skiing parents are coming for a couple of days too, mum is doing a Sound of Music tour in Salzburg Shocked
ski holidays
Zell am See seems the obvious one to me. Lovely town, great spa, easy to get up a gondola to meet for lunch, train to Salzburg for a day out. It's all good.
snow report
I'm in exactly the same boat and fancy Italy - no idea where yet.

She loves the mountains and is very happy to hike, chill out around the resorts, take lifts up and meet up for lunch on the slopes etc...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy