Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria help please

Poster: A snowHead
Never been to Austria and 2017 is the year!! But where? Red run skier and husband more nervous blue/red. Happy to do own travel; prefer hotel with restaurant and easy trip to slopes/ near or ok bus. Pretty village; end January. Can go last minute. Not night owls. Should I book flights now? OK with apartment if the place suits. Some guiding/instruction would help. Skied bigger higher resorts i.e. Val d'Isere, Courchevel, Selva G, Champery to Porte Soleil so I know it's going to be very different but not backing down. Austria it is. Used to late bargains despite these classy resorts of £500-£700 with travel and food. Austria will be more expensive??
Thanks for any suggestions.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have a look at Alpbach
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Should easily meet that budget with a tour op late deal. First thoughts were St. Johann in Tirol or Saalbach for a big lift linked area.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Saalbach/Hinterglemm a good call. Alpbach very pretty. Schladming worth thinking of.

People get argumentative about whether France or Austria is more expensive. Doubt it will be more expensive, but as ever with late bargains a bit of a gamble.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We switched from France to Austria, it's cheaper, however the big difference is the people and the service, especially in mountain restaurants and there is more choice.

Have a look at www.ski-apartment-saalbach.com , self catering apartments and the owner is a ski instructor, which will cover your guiding/instructing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lech.
Kitzbuhel.
Hinterglemm.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Once in a while @Whitegold talks sense.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yep. I add my vote to Saalbach. You can't go wrong. Pretty village, and lots of red/blue runs, plus a few blacks. If you stay in the heart of the village, you will be very near the lifts. End of Jan is not school holidays (as far as I know), and so should be reasonable. Note that Hinterglemm is down the valley and is modern, but not a pretty village. But it is a bit cheaper.

Plus as other posters have remarked, Austria is very friendly and efficient.

Saalbach tends to be mostly hotels, with some apartments. There are virtually no chalets. Saalbach is a bit of a well-kept secret amongst the Brits, and thus doesn't feature heavily with the travel agents; but give them a go. You may be better hunting on www.booking.com and adding flights and transfers. Closest airport is Salzburg.

Have fun wherever you choose!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@sarah jane, I think the two prettiest villages (according to the Austrians themselves) are Alpbach and Westendorf.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yep, I'd go for Saalbach - ticks all the boxes.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks. Saalbach sounds good. I read it was more of a party town but maybe not? Any suggestions for hotels convenient but not too noisy if that's possible.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We've stayed at the Kristiana years ago, great food. Out of the centre a bit so not noisy. May struggle to get it in budget. Or you could stay in Hinterglemm which is a bit less of a party town. Be careful to check hotel locations. The cheaper places are on the main road between the towns or on the dash of Saalbach-Hinterglemm Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@sarah jane, Saalbach has a good apres ski scene, but plenty of quieter places too.

Crystal, Nielsen and Inghams have Saalbach on their programmes, but only as hotel accommodation. There are 2 British-run chalets, one run by Ski Miguel and the other an independent, Pension Enzian. Both are close to the village centre and the main Schattberg lift.

Saalbach is a very easy resort to DIY. Fly to Salzburg, then take the Holiday Shuttle or Vorderegger service to your accommodation. If there are 3 or more in your group, it is as cheap to book a VIP taxi from Holiday Shuttle. (For other resorts in Salzburgerland, similar services run from Salzburg Airport - details on the Airport website).

Accommodation:

Self catering apartments: ski-apartment-saalbach.com as above, or Bear Hutte, Tatman's (a Snowhead) as well as HomeAway.co.uk and the excellent Tourist Office website, Saalbach.com. There are some luxury apartments in the village centre, bookable through Sunweb. There are 70 mountain restaurants and dozens of restaurants in the village, so ample choice for eating out.
Good b&b's include Pension Norika and Pension Alpensport, both near the centre and the lifts.
Affordable half-board hotels include Hotel König, Panther, Eva Village, Kristina.
Top hotels include Saalbacherhof, Alpinresort (which is all-inclusive) and the Alpenhotel, which provides a free ski guiding service every day run by a friendly ex-instructor called Johnny. For all of the hotels, if you want a quiet room, ask for a room that does not face the main street.

You can use TripAdvisor for some more ideas, and reviews of the above hotels, and if you find something you like the look of, there are plenty of Saalbach Snowheads who can provide further information.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You might also take a look at Fieberbrunn, which is now linked to Saalbach/Hinterglemm. It's a beautiful little village, with fabulous skiing. And it's so much cheaper then Saalbach, with some wonderful hotels.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@quinton, Fantastic round-up of Saalbach — thanks! You are another fan Very Happy

Here are two new chalets that have just been completed. Directly by the side of the Kohlmais orange chairlift:

http://www.chalets-saalbach.at/en/?_wb=en/&lang=EN

Seem really beautiful and well done.

Plus, there is always www.airbnb.com for apartments.
snow report
Westendorf is a great vilage and (conditions permitting) you can ski over to Kitzbuhel for the day as well. Mayrhofen is bigger and busier but also really good.
snow report
HutToHut wrote:
Should easily meet that budget with a tour op late deal. First thoughts were St. Johann in Tirol or Saalbach for a big lift linked area.

St Johann is a small resort that is not lift linked and you would ski it out in a day, if you go to this area you would be better off in one of the areas linked to Kitzbuhel.
snow report
@JimboS, From St Johann it is a short bus ride to Fieberbrunn and the Ski Circus, or to Kitzbuhel in the opposite direction. St Johann would be a good place to be based if visiting for 2-3 weeks and using one of the big-area passes to visit various resorts, but for just a week, I agree that it is probably too small.
snow conditions
@JimboS, was thinking of the budget. Quite a lot of late deals to be had and it's a little less busy for a nervous blue/red run skier. Plus it's got a brewery with a restaurant in the top of their tower Very Happy
ski holidays
Saalbach is amazing and would probably echo the fieberbrunn suggestion if your not fussed about the nightlife. Alpbach is great too and love both. Was not keen on skiwelt. But I think Austria is great probably wherever you go really. Just enjoy the flow and the apres.
snow conditions
@sarah jane,
Quote:

Saalbach sounds good

The resort is growing and improving every year, and with 270km of piste (predominantly intermediate) to go at, with plenty of interesting itineraries, you're very unlikely to be disappointed. Those of us for whom Saalbach is our first or second home, or at least who know it well through many years of skiing visits, will be more than happy to advise (incidentally thanks to Quinton for the mention). If you would like a copy of my comprehensive guide to Saalbach, covering just about everything you're likely to want to know, just PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

Also quite a few snowheads, increasingly over the last few seasons, have been meeting up on the slopes for a bit of sociable skiing and/or apres-ski - it's been a real pleasure to put a few faces to names (including some of those who've commented above) as well as to do a bit of informal guiding. So you're pushing against an open door, when you say, "
Quote:

Some guiding/instruction would help

Smile
ski holidays
@Tatman's Tours Don't forget to tell @sarah jane about the romantic horse sleigh ride through the snowy woods at the end of the valley! snowHead
ski holidays
@PeDaSp, You just have! Smile
latest report
Following this thread.....do you all think Saalbach would work for us...family of 4....one brilliant skier (not me)....useless one (me) and 2 kids who have skied for 2 weeks..... guess i am thinking if it would be relatively snow sure for New years and enough blue runs..? Thanks in advance!
ski holidays
@CeliaCo, Saalbach should be fine for you. No guarantee on snow, however, Saalbach does have good snow making if there is none of the natural stuff. I know last year was a reasonably poor start to the season, but Saalbach did well to have some a good amount of skiing available.
latest report
@CeliaCo, I agree that Saalbach would be ideal for your family group, but, if you're thinking of going for New Year week (the most popular week of the season), I would strongly advise you not to delay any longer before booking - availability may already be limited. We receive enquiries for the peak school holiday weeks up to a year ahead.
snow conditions
Thanks...looking into it now.....realise I am late but plans change...we usually ski at Easter but fancied a change this yr....
latest report
JimboS wrote:
HutToHut wrote:

St Johann is a small resort that is not lift linked and you would ski it out in a day, if you go to this area you would be better off in one of the areas linked to Kitzbuhel.

If you don't mind a 10-15 minute bus/train trip, then St Johann is an excellent place to stay, as it is central between Kitzbuhel and Fiebrbrunn (linked in to Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang now).

Get the Kitzalps pass (from next season the Salzburgerland pass is being combined with that), and it includes the bus to Fieberbrunn or train to Kitzbuhel (and on to the Skiwelt if you fancy it).

So way more territory than anybody could reasonably ski in a week, within 15 minutes on free transport.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alex_heney wrote:
JimboS wrote:
HutToHut wrote:

If you don't mind a 10-15 minute bus/train trip, then St Johann is an excellent place to stay, as it is central between Kitzbuhel and Fiebrbrunn (linked in to Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang now).

Get the Kitzalps pass (from next season the Salzburgerland pass is being combined with that), and it includes the bus to Fieberbrunn or train to Kitzbuhel (and on to the Skiwelt if you fancy it).

So way more territory than anybody could reasonably ski in a week, within 15 minutes on free transport.

I do mind a 15min train trip (plus walking to the train station, then to the lift) to get to the slopes most days of the holiday. When booking a ski holiday my rule is always pick a hotel/apartment within 7 mins walk of the lift, I just don't want the hassle of extra busses or trains.

When there is so much choice across Austria and beyond with well connected resorts and a big local area why give yourself the extra inconvenience?
snow report
Well we went to St. Johann to ski the Schneewinkl resorts (St. Johann, Steinplatte, Buchensteinwand and Fieberbrunn) because we had never skied them before despite having been to places just round the corner. I don't see the point of staying in St. Johann to then ski Kitzbuehel, although we did meet some people doing that.

I suggested St. Johann with the OP's nervous red run skier and budget in mind. Crystal currently have the Gasthof Mauth HB, flight and transfer for £575 for the end of January, which I guess will get cheaper closer to departure date.
latest report
Quote:

When booking a ski holiday my rule is always pick a hotel/apartment within 7 mins walk of the lift,

.....better still 30 seconds wink
snow report
JimboS wrote:
alex_heney wrote:
JimboS wrote:
HutToHut wrote:

I do mind a 15min train trip (plus walking to the train station, then to the lift) to get to the slopes most days of the holiday. When booking a ski holiday my rule is always pick a hotel/apartment within 7 mins walk of the lift, I just don't want the hassle of extra busses or trains.

When there is so much choice across Austria and beyond with well connected resorts and a big local area why give yourself the extra inconvenience?

It's personal choice of course.

I prefer having the wider choice of several big areas, and since budget has always been a major part of the consideration for me, I have rarely had accommodation within a few minutes walk of the ski areas, and am really not bothered by having to use a bus or train. So for me, a central location with good included transport links is great.

Incidentally, depending on where you stay in St Johann, the train station is usually no more than 5 minutes walk, and at Kitzbuhel, the station is across the road from the Hahnenkamm lift - it takes longer to walk up the stairs in the gondola station than to reach it.
snow report
For a couple wanting to go late January a last minute TO deal would be my choice - just don't have too fixed an idea of where you want to go.
snow report
@CeliaCo, Saalbach will be great for you and the kids. I go every year with a couple of families and their children, and we return year-after-year. Something for everyone.
ski holidays
[quote]

@quinton, Fantastic round-up of Saalbach — thanks! You are another fan

Here are two new chalets that have just been completed. Directly by the side of the Kohlmais orange chairlift:

http://www.chalets-saalbach.at/en/?_wb=en/&lang=EN

Oh my word - these look gorgeous!
snow conditions
@CeliaCo, Those new chalets with their "pompous interiors" Laughing are undeniably luxurious, but they suffer from a couple of disadvantages. They are in an elevated location so, if you don't have a car, a bit of an uphill slog from the village in the evenings (or at any time when you're on foot) - although you could take a taxi from the village for about 10 euros. Secondly, for most of the ski season, you will EACH be paying more than 100 euros per day for self-catering accommodation - more than twice the going rate, even for similarly located, slopeside, ski-in ski-out accommodation. (As previously offered, if you're seriously considering Saalbach and would like a copy of my comprehensive guide, covering everything you're likely to want to know about the resort and its skiing, PM me your e-mail address and I'll e-mail you a copy).
snow report
My eyes watered at the cleaning fee!
latest report
Most places in Austria fit the requirements. I'd be inclined to wait for a last minute deal.

Just to throw my suggestion in - stay in Westendorf or Brixen and you can access Skiwelt and Kitzbuhel areas. That's about 7 pretty villages with a lot of skiing on the top and some nice runs down to the villages.
ski holidays
andybomb1 wrote:
Most places in Austria fit the requirements. I'd be inclined to wait for a last minute deal.

Just to throw my suggestion in - stay in Westendorf or Brixen and you can access Skiwelt and Kitzbuhel areas. That's about 7 pretty villages with a lot of skiing on the top and some nice runs down to the villages.

Or even Kirchberg!! for the same reasons.
ski holidays
@sarah jane, initially i was slightly put off with Saalbach by lots of guys late evening in full ski attire and skis on shoulder(just) staggering around with kebabs and pizzas in their free hand barely able to stand upright, then there is all the lap dancing "clubs" . . . it was quite a shock on our first evening. I'm not a prude but it was not quite what I was expecting. We had stayed in Hinterglemm about 10 years ago previously but I was not prepared for this. However as the week wore on it kind of grew on us and we had a really good week which was obvioulsy helped with some fresh snow. The skiing is really nice with lots of easy reds and blues if this is what you like.
it's not cheap here compared with other Austrian resorts but compared to some of the French one's that you mention it will feel very inexpensive indeed.

Check out http://chaletatman.vpweb.co.uk/?prefix=www
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy