Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go March 1st for a week

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello, our dates are fixed with no flexibility so I'm looking for ideas where to go, preferably flying from Stansted or another London airport.
There will be two of us and we have skied every year for the last six years and are probably low intermediate standard.
So far we've only been to Puy St Vincent and Montgenevre, flying in to Turin.
Having looked around on the main tour operators that do Sunday-Sunday trips we could again go to Turin and then on to somewhere nearby or perhaps Tignes or Les Arcs. I guess given the iffy snow up until recently I'm probably thinking of a higher resort but then again March 1st should be OK.

So any thoughts or recommendations please?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
welcome to snowheads, @kabooooooom. You shouldn't need to go to a high resort on March 1st. But if it's convenient for you to fly into Turin I'd suggest you go to an Italian one, as it's French school holidays and places like Tignes will be busy. Indeed most French resorts will be busy. Not ridiculous, that week, but why not go somewhere with a bit more room on the pistes?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks I'd read elsewhere that French school hols were then. So narrowing it down to Italy and flying to Turin where do folk suggest?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It is the very last group of French schools that will be on holiday... all the Northern Europe (UK, Belgium, Denmark, etc) will have gone back to school, so things shouldn't too crowded at all.
If you like Turin, why not ski Cervinia? Personally, I like the idea of skiing across country borders, and from Cervinia you can go into Zermatt and back into Italy.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes I'd thought about Cervinia but could only see dates that worked through Crystal and their prices are a bit steep for me at the moment.
Might wait a couple more weeks yet before booking.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
OK so nearly ready to book but can't make my mind up between Cervinia and Gressoney as both look great.

In terms of skiing ability we've skied reds in Montgenevre confidently albeit I probably would choose blue over red when both were available. Plus we are definitely on piste only.

So based on that I get the feeling that Cervinia might be more suitable but Gressoney looks very nice, there are some complimentary reviews on here too.

Thoughts please
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@kabooooooom,

Cervinia has lots of good wide skiing, not been to Gressoney. But just to add one more into the pot. La Thuile is pretty easy to get to from Turin and has excellent high blue and red pistes together with a link over to France. Usually very reliable snow as well and very reasonably priced.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How about Pila?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the replies but I've narrowed it down to the two mentioned so if anybody has been to both areas I'd welcome your views
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Or, Salzburg, loads of flights from London, Ski Amade (45 min motorway transfer) is my stomping ground and its amazing, loads of places to base yourself at and have an epic time. Very Happy Ange
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Although I haven't been to Cervinia I love Gressoney. There aren't many blues but a lot of the reds would probably be blues in France anyway so there'll be plenty to keep yo happy for a week + loads of fantastic good value food on the slopes. Before you book with a TO have a look at the DIY option as you can often get cheap flights to Milan & even cheaper car hire (I know you said Turin but Milan flights are usually cheaper)
Actually for your level of skiing Passo Tonale/Ponte di Legno is another really good option - under 2 hours from Milan though I'd need to check on the Turin transfer time.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 25-01-15 15:12; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
From Turin you've got easy access to the Aosta valley, Cervinia, Pila, Coutmaueur, La Thuile. (Listed in my order of preference for your needs). You can also get to the Montgenevre/Sauze area and Serre vChevalier quite readily (Serre Che I really liked - nice cruisers, easy off piste and a real variety of terrain......)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy