Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sledding in dolomiti

Poster: A snowHead
I have small children(2 years) and I would like to go to ski this year in March(14.03. to 21.03.).
I would like to take my boy to sledding. The only sledge piste with gondola I know is in SanCassiano (PizSorega).
I don't know if piste is covered with snow at that time or I should move to February?

Do you maybe know if there is some other place for sledding in dolomiti and with cable or gondola(that you don't have to walk on the start)?

Thank you for your answer
Simon
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes there are several sledding runs on Seiser Alm Plateau above Ortisei. You can access Seiser Alm via gondola from Ortisei and via gondola from Seis Am Schlern village. On Seiser alm itself there are three runs accesible from Compatsch; one from MOnte Piz and one at Saltria. The easiest runs to get to will be from Compatsch which is at the top station of the gondola from Seis village. If you get the gondola from Ortisei then you will have to get a chair down or walk down to the SPorthotel Sonne and then a long walk to the road to get the bus to Saltria or Compatsch. Far easier to stay in Seis Am Schlern village or Castelrotto village and then get the gondola from Seis up to Compatsch. You will then need a lift pass to use the chairs to get to the top of the sledding runs. You can buy points cards as well rather than day tickets for the lifts. See below link with a map showing Seiser alm and where the sledding runs are:

http://www.seiseralm.it/media/9c926ef6-05e0-41ec-8df2-f632b613222d/skipistenplan-2013-2014.pdf
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you Jimmy.
As I can see, the only sledding run with gondola is from Seiser Alm to Panorama (2000m). All others are with chair lift. I'm not sure if I can go with both, sledge and 2 year child on chair lift, this would be my first year Smile
What about gondola from ORTISEI to RASCHÖTZ? It looks nice sledding run there. It is not possible to sledge back to Ortisei and go on gondola again?

So, in Dolomiti my options are:
1) to stay in San Cassiano village - from where is gondola directly on the top of sledding run - Piz Sorega.
2) to stay in SEIS AM SCHLERN village - from where is gondola to Compatsch and another gondola to the top of sledding run - Panorama.

Which place do you prefer? I have been in San Cassiano before and in Alta Badia many times, but never in SEIS AM SCHLERN. Do you know for some apartments there?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No from Compatsch to Panorama is a chair lift for definate. Think its a 4 or 6 seater chair from memory. There is a chair/gondola from compatsch up to Puflatsch/Bullacia which is on the opposite side to panorama. I have not stayed in San Cassiano so can not compare it to Seis. Seis village is quite small and does not have many bars/restaurants/amenities though there is a supermarket. Look at below link for accomodation options in Seis or Castelrotto:

http://www.alpedisiusi.info/en/winter-active/skiing/panoramic-map.html
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@simonxy, I have to San Cassiano 3 years in a row that week 2012-2014

the first week the sledge track was closed, the next two it was open. I think it's more on a north facing side of the hill, and yes access to the track is very close to the gondola.

I guess it's relatively long as the bottom of it comes out just above the Albergo Frohsinn which in itself is up the hill from the bottom station of the Piz Sorega
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@simonxy, if you go to Seiser Alm I recommend staying at Kastelruth (Castelrotto) rather than Seis. It's bigger and has a beautiful medieval square. We stayed here over Nrw Year and loved it, It's a short free - with ski pass - bus ride to the Seis gondola. This area has a real Austrian feel to it with German rather than Ladinisch being the predominant language here - but like other areas of the South Tyrol you seem to get the best bits of Austria and Italy and local culture thrown in too.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you for your opinions. I hope I will persuade my wife to go to Dolomite, she complicates a bid because of child Sad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sorry to drag this thread from the archives, but the search function pulled this and is exactly what I was looking for (another region outside of Jungfrau in Switzerland) for a toboggan/sledding holiday. If the original poster is still online - did they go ?... any feedback ?.. if anyone else has any pointers about accommodation in this area I would be grateful for any titbits Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've just seen this thread. simonxy's query about toboganning on the Rasciesa/Raschötz run above Ortisei (which is on the other side of the valley from the Alpe di Siusi/Seiseralm) wasn't answered. Although I've not used it, he was correct - there is funicular goes from Ortisei town up to the top of the Rasciesa (it's fairly new, it was built in 2010), there's a mountain restaurant at the top from which there is a 6km long toboggan run. So staying in Ortisei/St Ulrich could be a good option as you've also got the toboggan options on the Seiseralm side (and if you don't fancy the trek to the toboggan runs from the top of the Ortisei gondola mentioned by jimmybog then there is a fairly frequent bus service from Ortisei which has a bus stop by the Seis gondola which goes up to Compatsch). Plenty of accommodation options in Ortisei/St. Ulrich see tourist office website. Ortisei is a pretty town with a pedestrianised centre and is a centre of woodcarving. It also has an interesting museum about the Val Gardena valley.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've used the Rasciesa toboggan run in the past before the Funicular was built when it was served by a slow old one-man chair.

It's an excellent run that follows a summer track and zig-zags down through the forest, wide enough to pass, banked edges and several hairpins to negotiate. You used to be able to do circuits by re-joining the chair at a mid-station, because if you followed the toboggan run right to the end it used to finish at the edge of the forest about 600m away from the base station.

Reading one of Alistair's links, it appears there is the same mid-station facility with the Funicular.

A group of us had some real fun there in early March. Nice restaurant at the top for a warm-up too! snowHead

I think it relies on natural snowfall, so I don't know if it would be open this year yet.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thankyou both for the replies.
I know most, if not all, ski using this website.... but having tried, it was just not for us (think bambi on ice) but we love tobogganing and have really excelled in our technique...(yes there is form to be had!) ... so want to broaden our horizons with new locations.
It can be quite a challenge to find areas that are serviced by more than one run. Especially when tobogganing is all we are going for.
Really appreciate the links too - very helpful. Thankyou
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gamer2471 wrote:
thankyou both for the replies.
I know most, if not all, ski using this website.... but having tried, it was just not for us (think bambi on ice) but we love tobogganing

Well as you say most on here are skiers (the majority of which are alpine skiers, but there are also a few telemark and cross-country skiers). We also allow in snowboarders, even snowbladers ( Toofy Grin ) and as our name is snowHeads then all snow users including tobogganers are welcome! snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What's the best / easiest route to take to get to this area ? As I understand it's either Innsbruck or Verona airport.. Innsbruck there is an option of a train to nearer the resort before the obligatory taxi - what train would that be / station ? Would I be right in saying Verona would only be a taxi option ?.. thanks for any info in getting to the area (from an airport) Embarassed
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gamer2471 wrote:
What's the best / easiest route to take to get to this area ? As I understand it's either Innsbruck or Verona airport.. Innsbruck there is an option of a train to nearer the resort before the obligatory taxi - what train would that be / station ? Would I be right in saying Verona would only be a taxi option ?.. thanks for any info in getting to the area (from an airport) Embarassed

Where abouts in the area are you heading?

If your going to val Gardena area, then Innsbruck or verona are both ideal. The best station will be Ponte Gardena (Waidbruck is the German spelling). If you catch the Euro city train service from Innsbruck or Verona then you will need to get off at either Bolzano or Bressanone. If you catch the local trains (from Innsbruck you will need to change at Brenner) then you can get off at Ponte Gardena

See below Public transport search portal. You should be able to time it so that you can get a connecting bus at Ponte Gardena that will take you into the Val Gardena area

http://www.sii.bz.it/en

if you are heading elsewhere in the Dolomites (Alta badia, Arraba etc) then Venice could be the best airport. Though for ALta badia i would still choose Innsbruck and change trains at Fortezza to take you into Val Pusteria valley and then change onto a bus at San Lorezno or Brunico, that will take you into ALta Badia
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We are looking to stay in Siusi allo Sciliar/Seis am Schlern. So I'm guessing Innsbruck with train to Bolzano ? So am I right in saying a quick taxi rather than bus from airport to train station. Train to Bolzano, then taxi back to Seis am schlern ? Would you favour that approach ? Thanks for link too Madeye-Smiley
snow report
gamer2471 wrote:
We are looking to stay in Siusi allo Sciliar/Seis am Schlern. So I'm guessing Innsbruck with train to Bolzano ? So am I right in saying a quick taxi rather than bus from airport to train station. Train to Bolzano, then taxi back to Seis am schlern ? Would you favour that approach ? Thanks for link too Madeye-Smiley

Yes that would be the preffered approach:

Train to Bolzano and then taxi to Siusi. You could also get a connecting bus at Bolzano that takes you direct to Siusi (which will be much cheaper)

Depending on the train you get from Innsbruck, you can get the train to Bressanone and then a connecting bus from train station direct to Siusi. This is exactly how we done the journey a few years ago. However we were able to choose a specific train to allow us to do this. As you will be arriving at Innsbruck and then immediately catching the train, then you will likely have to choose the next available train. Therefore I would go with the option of getting the train to Bolzano (all the trains, Euro City and local, will stop at Bolzano) and then get the next bus or a taxi to Siusi.

You can also get a train to Bolzano from Verona (if you choose to fly there). The journey is roughly 30 to 40 minutes quicker than from Innsbruck!!
ski holidays
That's great thanks JB...
Really appreciate the time and info
Thankyou
snow report
gamer2471 wrote:
That's great thanks JB...
Really appreciate the time and info
Thankyou

Welcome, let me know if you need any other info!!
latest report
Sorry for dragging up an old thread - but having difficulty finding an answer. Can you jump into a Taxi at Bolzano (for Suisi) - or do these need to be prebooked (we need to return home too obviously). If it's better to prebook a car, anybody have any recommendations or links to a prebookable taxi that would do the Bolzano>Suise>Bolzano return (with a 9 night stay). Have reached out to the hotel also but they seem to be illusive at present .. thanks for any 'nuggets' Very Happy
snow report
Not used it - but there appears to be a regular bus service from Verona/Innsbruck to Selva/Seis am schlern

https://www.altoadigebus.com/
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy