Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What to do in Ruka, Finland

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
There's a group of us going to Ruka in just under 3 weeks time-in total there will be me and Hubby, our daughter (who will turn 11 while we are out there lucky beggar!) and 3 other adult (of the male varierty!)

Can anyone give un idea of what there is to do in the evenings? Or what Ruka is like as far as shopping goes (us girls gotta have our shopping fix!)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is a sports centre, ice rink, you can still play in the snow and go sledging. You do know that the lifts are open until about 7pm, so you can just keep on the slopes longer, have a bite to eat and then sleep. I went in January last year, and the night life wasn't fantastic, fairly quiet at that time of year.
If you're staying in an apartment, you can always relax in the sauna, if in the hotel it won't be as cosy as you share it with others.

If you've booked in one of the beautifully scenic log cabins, you'll be too far away from resort centre to be bothered walking.

If this reply doesn't sound too promising I apologise, please note though that I am going back again this year, and I'm jealous of you because I have to wait until the end of Feb, enjoy it out there.

PS. my wife said that the shopping is limited (whatever that means), but chocolate wafer things from the Spar are great Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Pumba!

We're staying in the Rukahovi Hotel right at the bottom of the slopes, so nice easy access and some good amenities in the hotel too. I'm not too bothered about nightlife, but I think the men will be up for a few beers most nights!

As far as shopping goes, it's really only the obligatory souvenir buying and emergency ski supplies that's important-but I will look out for the chocolate wafer things!

Getting really excited now as we fly out early Sunday-I'm going to get a report posted on here as soon as I can so I will let you know how we get on!

snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
One more quick question Pumba, would I be right in assuming that there are cashpoints in Ruka? Hubby is panicking a bit just in case there aren't any!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't worry its not outer mongolia, i'm pretty sure I saw a few cash machines there, if all else fails you can probably get cashback in the spar shop!!
Nice little ski shop in the complex opposite the hotel, loads of clothes and souvenirs in there as well. Wife still wears a nice hooded top she got there last year.

Rukahovi hotel looked really nice, used the facilities to freshen up before flying back last year, we stay in their appartments just at the opposite end of the main car park, overlooks the battery run.

Bar next to hotel(adjoining hire centre) was always nice and friendly, strange policy about not letting you keep your coat with you after 8.30 though, you have to put it in the cloakroom.

You really are next to the lifts there though, about 50 yards around the corner from the front door.

Looks almost tropical temps out there today -5.

Be sure to go have a look at the park on Saruua and let me know what they have, that and the pipe will be my morning playground when I'm out there and wife is having a few more lessons. Enjoy it Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Pumba,

Well we had an absolutely fantastic week! The chocolate wager thingys were indeed delicious, and the skiing was fantastic! I had a look at the park on Saruua-hubby skied down there too but didn't attempt any of the jumps or rails! He did have a go at the mogul slope (Battery Run) on the Village side of the mountain, but it got a bit much for his knees so he skied down the outside.

We had drinks in the piste bar (by the hire shop) which was lovely-I think the coats thing is the same everywhere, just because winter coats take up so much room!! We did the Starlight Snowmobile Safari too which was a bit of a con-cost just over £100 for the 3 of us (2 adults 1 child), and it consisted basically of 20 minutes on a snowmobile and a frankfurter cooked over a fire! But it was fun all the same!

The coldest day for us was -13, and the temps have taken a sever tumble this week, we were looking forward to the extreme cold but looking at the webcams this week it's probably too cold now as there are even less people on the lsopes than there was when we were there!!

Not sure if we would go back as we pretty much skied everything to death in the week (we did at least 5 hours skiing every day!) but the place is lovely! I think Levi might be next for us!

I hope you have a fab time! snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Glad you enjoyed it, I'm hoping the temp gets back to normal before I go!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
The chocolate wager thingys were indeed delicious

I bet they were.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lol laundryman, i meant wafer!!!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy