Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Your experience of Direct Travel travel insurance with Winter Sports cover

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking to purchase travel insurance for an off-piste ski trip to Chamonix. I will be spending most of my time with a qualified high mountain guide, but will also spend a small proportion of my time skiing solo/with friends.

I have usually gone with Snowcard or Dogtag insurance, but the Direct Travel policy appears to be much more reasonably priced, while offering off piste cover, even without a guide. Here's their exact policy wording:

Quote:
What winter sports activities do you cover?

Bigfoot skiing, cat skiing or boarding, cross country skiing, curling, glacier skiing*, glacier walking (up to 4,000 metres), heli-skiing*, ice climbing*, ice curling, ice diving, ice hockey*, ice skating, kite skiing*, kite snowboarding*, langlauf, mono skiing, off piste skiing or snowboarding (except in areas considered to be unsafe by local resort management), skiing, ski/snow biking, ski/snow blading, ski randonee*, ski touring, ski-dooing*, sledging/sleighing, snowboarding, snow mobiling*, speed skating and tobogganing.

but excluding:

ski acrobatics, ski flying, skiing against local authority warning or advice, ski-stunting, ski jumping, ski mountaineering, or the use of bob sleighs, luges, bungees or skeletons;

* Cover for these winter sports may require you to pay an additional premium over and above the normal winter sports premium. In some cases, your excess under section B1 (Medical and other expenses outside of the United Kingdom) will be increased to £250, and there will be no cover provided under section G (Personal accident) and section H (Personal liability) whilst taking part in the activity.

If you are interested in any activities not listed above, please contact us

I wasn't entirely sure what is meant by "except in areas considered to be unsafe by local resort management". After all, all forms of skiing carry an element of risk, especially off piste, thus are inherently unsafe. Resort management won't typically prohibit, but will almost always warn against the dangers associated with skiing off piste, regardless of conditions. Does this warrant the activity as "unsafe"? I emailed Direct Travel to find out more, but they got back to me today with a rather vague reply:

Quote:
Cover is provided on our policies for off-piste skiing with/without a guide providing you are not skiing off-piste in an area considered unsafe by local resort management (i.e. signs up advising against skiing in a particular area).

...so, not really much help here either.

Has anyone actually dealt with/claimed through Direct Travel in regard to an off piste incident? If so, what was your experience of this? Were they reasonable, or did they hide behind a myriad of legal clauses?

Thanks!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy