Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pozza di Fassa and Campitello

Poster: A snowHead
We are thinking about booking the first week in February in either Pozza or Campitello. The hotel in Pozza looks lovely (and is cheaper). Can anyone advise whether staying in Pozza is awkward in terms of connecting to other ski areas? We've generally stayed in Selva so don't know this area at all. We're not particularly worried about the Sella Ronda - just want a bit of skiing variety without too much hassle.

Thanks,
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pozza is a bit out on a limb. You are at the end of the nice set of runs that link back to Alba and then by bus to Canazei if you wish. It is on the same main road that goes on to Campitello and then Canazei. I stayed in Campitello a few years ago. Nice enough but very quiet, and we tended to get the bus up to Canazei to start skiing.

Luigi (who is a guru for the area) will probably be able to link you to the bus timetable. If you do go there, down by the main road there is an odd little chair that stands alone in a car park. It takes you up to a nice little set of wooded runs above Vigo. All very pleasant, but limited in scope. If you were there with a car, you could have an interesting week looking at various detached bits in the Area (San Pellegrino for instance) but I suspect you might get fed up with having to do the same runs all the time.

snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @Chris Bish, that is perhaps why the hotel is such a good deal! About how long does it take to get from Pozza to Canazei?

Maybe we would be better trying to find something in Canazei - I always meant to ski a bit more around that area, it looks nice. Then we could do the Pozza and Vigo runs as day trip instead of the other way round. We won't have a car - it'll be TO transfers.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bus is doable, did it the other way once. If you don't mind morning ski buses. Campitello and Canazei are more convenient for access to Sella Ronda though. Rhodedendro was decent basic 3* hotel with yummy grub. Going back this year, first repeat in my short skiing career. ..
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yummy grub is so important! From Campitello is it reasonably easy to get to Canazei on skis? I'm not a huge ski bus fan if I can avoid them.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Chris Bish wrote:

Luigi (who is a guru for the area) will probably be able to link you to the bus timetable.

Cheers Chris, not really a guru, but I've skied the area a number of times...and I can Google up a bus plan & timetable!! Laughing

http://www.fassa.com/EN/Skibus-service/

http://www.fassa.com/upload/files/Orari-skibus-Val-di-Fassa-2014-2015%281%29.pdf

As you can see, it's quite an extensive network, linking up most of the ski areas in the valley.

From Pozza, it's about 26 mins up to the Belvedere gondola in Canazei and 15 mins to the Col Rodella cablecar at Campitello which drops you at the highest point of the ski area above Selva (best snow in the area) and both link directly to the Sella Ronda.

There are 2 small but worthwhile (and quiet) areas on either side of the valley at Pozza (Buffaure/Alba & Vigo/Catinaccio) already described by Chris and linked by a resort bus.

Then further away there is the Carezza area up the Costalunga Pass road accessible on a SAD bus and the Passo San Pellegrino/Trevalli area above Moena accessible with what looks like a change of bus in Vigo.

Pozza would be OK if you don't mind using the buses to get about all the different areas in the valley and still have relatively easy access to the extensive areas around the Sella Ronda via Campitello & Canazei.

Go for Canazei if you mostly want to do the Sella Ronda areas and then do a daytrip from Alba to Pozza then across to the Catinaccio for lunch and back the way you came or hop on the bus.

Depends what you want to do, versus the price difference really.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dippdydoodogg wrote:
Yummy grub is so important! From Campitello is it reasonably easy to get to Canazei on skis? I'm not a huge ski bus fan if I can avoid them.

Plenty of mountain restaurants all over the area, so good grub is always available!

If you don't like skibuses, forget Pozza.

From Campitello, check where the hotel is in relation to the cablecar station, you might need a bus for that anyway, so you might as well head to Canazei, esp if you are heading over to Arabba direction.

If you are heading over to Selva, use the cablecar, though I have waited for 40 minutes there on a busy Sunday morning just after New Year when the place was rammed with both Italians and Russians.

Skiing from Campitello Col Rodella top station across to the Belvedere area above Canazei involves a sector of the Sella Ronda, a long red down to Pian Frataces and a gondola ride up.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for that @luigi, I think Pozza is not for us. I'll have a closer look at Campitello and Canazei accommodation and see what is where. I hadn't realised you could get such detailed bus timetables online - they are really good.

One of the reasons we like the Dolomites so much is the excellent food - both in hotels and in the wonderful mountain restaurants. I think one of my favourites is at the bottom of Cir run, near Selva. Dreaming of their risotto with goats cheese...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@dippdydoodogg, the very first Birthday Bash (confusingly, the fifth BB) was based in Campitello. Nothing wrong with it and we had a nice hotel (albeit I cannot recall the name now). Although it was up the hill from the cablecar and so people tended to want to use the hotel minibus to go down/up to the cablecar. It was a walkable distance but not so great at the end of a day in boots and carrying skis etc. The other downside I found in Campitello was not being able to ski back down at the end of the day, you have to download on the cablecar.

If any of that helps, you're welcome Little Angel
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Stella Montis ?

Would prefer to be at the Campitello / Canazei end of Val di Fassa. Just gives more options. But definitely take the 5-10min bus ride to Alba and ski the Alba - Pozza bit at least once. The black run down under the cable car is nice, and the whole of that Alba-Pozza sector is usually deserted, compared to the Sella Ronda.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes. That black is a lot of fun. You can race the cable-car down. It takes about 3 minutes. The rest of the skiing in that area is pleasant but not all that exciting. Fun to explore, but limited as a daily ration.

snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dippdydoodogg wrote:
Thanks for that @luigi, I think Pozza is not for us. I'll have a closer look at Campitello and Canazei accommodation and see what is where. I hadn't realised you could get such detailed bus timetables online - they are really good.

One of the reasons we like the Dolomites so much is the excellent food - both in hotels and in the wonderful mountain restaurants. I think one of my favourites is at the bottom of Cir run, near Selva. Dreaming of their risotto with goats cheese...

I tend to avoid anything with goats cheese, I find it repeats on me! Mr. Green

At Canazei, the gondola base station is away from where the valley run ends up (can sometimes be closed in poor snow) and the old village centre, so you also tend to use it at the start and end of the day to upload and download. Check location of hotel in relation to it or you will need to use the skibuses...though the service is very regular & reliable on these.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks everyone. Looks like Campitello will suit better. @Randomsabreur, will check out the Rhododendro.

Fingers crossed for the promised snow this weekend.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It is a short bus ride from the lifts, but bus goes from outside and the Crystal ski hire place was opposite. Unless you are on the early bus might as well go to bubble lift (further but same bus line) as less queues than big gondola.

Room size not bad, beds didn't cause back issues and only issue with food was it was tasty and plentiful so had to take a nightly post dinner walk as we were too greedy for restraint. Definitely put on weight that week.

Pleasant surprise was the provision of a packed breakfast for the early transfer.

Didn't manage much eating on the slopes as a result of needing to save space for dinner but what we did eat was yummy.

Selva and Arabba easily reached from either lift.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We found it quicker and easier to get the bus to Canazei than to walk down to the Campitello cable car. This was at half-term, so queues were an issue too. The queue moves very quickly at Canazei, but waiting for the cable car can be a bit dull.
No much goes on in Campitello. Canazei is much livelier, but still quiet.

snowHead
snow report
Plans on hold - OH's work stops play. Talk about a let down! Hoping we might get to Dolomites in March, and will revisit this thread then. We're very happy in a quiet place btw, we go to the area for the skiing, the food, the glorious scenery and the incomparable ambiance. A 'big' night is having a drink after dinner as well as before. wink

Thanks everyone for your input.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy