Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts within 2 hours of Milan

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

It looks like I might be able to get some decent flights to Milan and was wondering what resorts are close by. We are a mixed group, looking for good off-piste (any guide recommendations as well) and general piste skiing.

Thanks

DF
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Dublinfella, Monterosa nearest I think. Malpensa or Linate? Don't say Bergamo. It's not anywhere near Milan.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Malpensa so should work for Monterosa. I also notice car rental from there is very reasonable.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just back from Cervinia 2 hrs 30 from Bergamo with boot down. Pila prob slightly shorter. I think Monte Rosa is in a valley along the way so should be slightly shorter. There's some small resort about an hour from Milan but I think its small and low and at the moment low isn't a good idea.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dublinfella wrote:
Malpensa so should work for Monterosa. I also notice car rental from there is very reasonable.

Be sure to hire snow-chains, since in our experience cars hired in Italy don't come with winter tyres (unless they've upped their game recently)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@geoffers, thanks for the info on the chains. @8611, was looking at Pila alright. Seems like a nice spot.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Dublinfella, from what I understand Pila best accessed from Aosta, which is a nice town but not a ski resort.

I'd still vote Monterosa. And particularly Champoluc.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've never skied Pila but am told it is amazing. Not as high as the resorts on the other side of the valley but north facing and looks out at some of the most majestic peaks in the Alps
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
IIRC Pila used to run a coach service from Milan.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Madessiomo is about that if you blast up the eastern side of Como via Lecco.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Dublinfella, as under a new name says Monterosa is probably nearest and in good snow reportedly has some good off piste (and plenty of guides hanging around). Alagna is the nearest to Milan, but it's quite a small village so not sure how easy it would be to find suitable accommodation.

I've also always quite fancied checking out San Bernadino, which google suggests is just about 2 hours away...no idea what it's really like, though, or if you can even get there, so would be a gamble!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
I've never skied Pila but am told it is amazing. Not as high as the resorts on the other side of the valley but north facing and looks out at some of the most majestic peaks in the Alps

Went to Pila a couple of years ago, lovely little resort with plenty to keep all levels of skiers/boarders happy. Nothing much to do in the actual village though...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes definitely Skimonterosa - I'd recommend staying in Gressoney or Stafal which is in the middle of the resort with really quick access to the best of the off-piste. Can recommend Hotel Ellex where we stayed last year - www.ellexhotel.it although there are cheaper options pariticularly if you stay further down the valley. We stayed in a nice self-catering apartment in St Jean the year before that was a great deal (from booking.com)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think in terms of time, @ChrisWo, that Alagna takes longer and has more wiggly mountain roads.

There's more to Stafal than there was 10 years ago but still not much. Depending on how much you want to do at night Champoluc may be a better bet.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hey Guys,

Brilliant thanks for all the feedback. @Fruity, is there a village there or is it just lifts up from Aosta?@under a new name, thanks would really like to get to Monterosa, so might just have to see if that can be arranged. @BenTisdall, Thanks for the recommendations. @ChrisWo, San Bernadino looks like fun - although not sure my better half would be loving all the buttons. She is more a sit down and relax on the chair type skier...still looks like a fun spot...
snow report
I have just done Aosta/ Pila at New years with the family.

We stayed in Aosta as we had non skiing Parents/ grandparents with us. Nice spot is Aosta and although not a ski resort per se the gondola to pila is an easy stroll from the centre.

Pila is small but very nice spot. I'd say its well suited to a more laid back trip/family hol type/weekend trip or trip with non skiers looking to explore a valley.

from malpensa we used Sicily by car/ Auto Europe via holiday autos ... car came with winter tyres. Ended up paying re- fuel charge because i couldn't find a petrol station on the way back ... and then just gave up!
snow conditions
There are hotels and apartments. We stayed at the bottom of a slope, ski to door. Next to the no. 2 red . It was lovely. Not much in the way of shops but there is a spa type shop further into the resort.
snow report
http://www.crystalski.co.uk/ski-resorts/italy-ski-holidays/pila/hotel-etoile-de-neige/
We stayed here.
snow conditions
You can book independently, most people we met rebook year after year and return under their own steam. It's not that much further to drive than our fav. french resort actually...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy