Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glencoe Mon 19th & Tue 20th looking for ski buddies!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

Im seriously thinking about driving up to Scotland from Blackburn in Central Lancashire very early doors this coming Monday morning if the weather forecast stays as it is and having a couple of days on the Piste. Plenty of snow on the way and then what looks like a lull in the wind and some sunshine for a few days so looking good at the moment. Glencoe would be my preferred destination especially if the snow hold all the way down to the car park. Looking for someone to ski with or even better share the cost of fuel as I don't mind picking up on the way as long as you aint too far off the beaten track. I am a mid 40's male and fairly advanced skier. Not too bothered if you are a skier or a border as long as you like to make fresh tracks and don't mind a few scrapes and bangs on your kit as the coverage on the lower mountain may be a bit thin. Not even looked at where im going to lay my head yet Monday night but im sure that can be sorted very easily and intend heading south close of play Tuesday. Fingers crossed for the weather and see you there Shock)

Roly
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Roly,

There aren't any B&B's or hotels anywhere near Glencoe, but you can "rough it" in one of their Hobbit Huts for £50 per night which are close to the car park.

No heating or electrical hook up so bring a four season sleeping bag.

The details and booking form are on the Glencoe Mountain website.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

There aren't any B&B's or hotels anywhere near Glencoe,

Really?
Kings house hotel across the road practically, 2 miles
what about the Clachaig Inn, 10 miles away or the 140 or so others nearer than Blackburn
Shocked

http://www.booking.com/landmark/gb/glencoe-mountain-resort.en-gb.html

There are loads within 15 miles
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rolyyyyyyy, I could well be in the area then, current plan to ski Nevis Tues 20th and Glencoe 21st Jan...driving up late on Mon 19th, prob going to stay at the Travel lodge Fort William as can cancel up to noon on the 19th if the weather forecast doesnt look good.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Think the King's house is shut just now as it recently changed hands.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers for the info on Accommodation everyone but that's at the bottom of my agenda at the moment. Top of the agenda to start with is finding people to ski with as I swore a long time ago I would never ski alone in Scotland again after a very frightening experience lost in zero visibility in the Cairngorms. I eventually discovered I was only ever about 20 foot from the side of the white lady but ended up on the wrong side of the snow fences on wind blown blue ice and it scared the living daylights out of me.@kitenski, If you are at Nevis Tuesday and conditions are good I would love to try and get into the back corries but don't have touring kit so the Braveheart chair would obviously have to be running.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rolyyyyyyy, you can traverse out if the braveheart isn't running...takes time, but I'll play it by ear on the day as to where to ski....
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
geeo wrote:
Quote:

There aren't any B&B's or hotels anywhere near Glencoe,

Really?
Kings house hotel across the road practically, 2 miles
what about the Clachaig Inn, 10 miles away or the 140 or so others nearer than Blackburn
Shocked

http://www.booking.com/landmark/gb/glencoe-mountain-resort.en-gb.html

There are loads within 15 miles

I did forget about the Kings House Hotel, however near is a relative concept. I would not consider 10-15 miles (as the crow flies remember) away near.

You may though.

All the best.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I did forget about the Kings House Hotel, however near is a relative concept. I would not consider 10-15 miles (as the crow flies remember) away near.

No those are google map road miles i'm afraid, after driving from Blackburn I doubt another 15 miles would matter
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
this was the pic I was trying to find....you traverse out about the top of the Braveheart...

latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@kitenski, Nice picture and that looks like a good pitch to ski even if it is only down as far as the top of the chair. Would be great if the chair was running next week but I don't think I have ever seen it reporting running midweek. Please keep in touch if you are planning on skiing early next week as having looked at your BASI videos we are a similar standard.

Roly
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rolyyyyyyy, well I've booked the accom and a meeting in Glasgow for Monday so unless the forecast looks terrible I'll be there!!

I do have some new skis to test out if the cover is good!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If I can persuade my wife to let me go...
I have similar intentions, driving up from Glossop, passing Blackburn on Sunday night or early Monday morning returning Tuesday night, happy to car share. I'm 50yo, not a bad skier, not skied any off piste, but happy to give it a go.
If you're interested call me on 01457 855050

Andy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@AndyB64, Im in the same boat as you at the moment!! Its still only an idea to get out next week and I certainly havnt had my leave pass rubber stamped by the wife but the potential snow conditions could be worth the penance Shock)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've been watching the forecasts closely, and early next week seems a good bet. My wfes just given me go ahead. If you find someone else better suited to your abilities, I'd still be happy to car share and ski on my own
snow report
these pics are before the next major storm!!!

http://www.youtube.com/embed/GPxmbjHh-cM

ski holidays
@kitenski, it was a picture on the webcam earlier today like that from Glencoe that set the wheels in motion and once the forecast said good weather Monday Tuesday when I'm not working hey presto. Looking like a conditional nod of approval from she who must be obeyed as long as i take her shopping for new chairs for the longe tomorrow so it's game on as long as the weather plays ball :0)
latest report
Right that's me and @AndyB64, sorted. We're booked into http://www.glencoehostel.co.uk/hostel-bunkhouse/hostel/
Anyone else fancy joining us? snowHead
latest report
Glencoe facebook update said there is a possibility of top to car park skiing when they can get the resort open.....
ski holidays
@robapplegate, &@AndyB64, Are you traveling up Sunday night or Monday morning? I am intending to set off about 04:30 Monday morning from Blackburn hopefully arriving some time around 0900 at Glencoe if traffic and road conditions are ok. Just about to book Tuesday night at the Glencoe hostel if its not booked up now!!
snow conditions
@rolyyyyyyy, Travelling up sunday night. Hopefully see you there. We can sort how to ID each other later so you don't have to ski alone (always struck me as a silly thing to do too). I'm a boarder, Andy is a skier both decent intermediates and I do like hunting out the odd bit of off/side piste and powder but I'm not very good at it yet.
latest report
I'll be there at the weekend.
latest report
@robapplegate, More than happy with that and judging by the response over the last few hours there is every chance we might end up with a fair old crowd of snowheads at the Coe Monday. Im booked in the Glencoe Hostel as well Monday evening now so that's all sorted.@kitenski, The top to bottom skiing is one of the main reasons im keen to get up to Glencoe early in the week as I have never managed to be there when the lower runs are open, fingers crossed Shock)
ski holidays
who is skiing Tuesday then??

I'll happily switch my plans around to ski the Coe Tuesday and Nevis Wednesday if folk are heading to the Coe on tuesday...
latest report
@kitenski, I am definitely skiing Tuesday and quite happy to ski Nevis if the conditions are as good if not better than Glencoe. Looks to me like a case of sick it and see :0)
snow report
Myself and @AndyB64, are out monday and tuesday. original plan was nevis monday glencoe tuesday but I'm easy either way.
snow conditions
Hi Guys,

My master plan personally was to ski Glencoe on Monday if only for the fact its around a half hour closer to home than pushing on to Nevis. As always it is only a plan and due to the fact there is no power at Glencoe presently and both will need to repair what could be significant storm damage on the upper hill im up for whatever suits best on the day. Remain rigidly flexible !!!!

Roly
ski holidays
indeed decisions the night before or the morning off seem to be the way forwards!!

What's are folks email and we can email mobile phone numbers out.

Mine is gregh34 at gmail.com

@rolyyyyyyy, have you skied at Glencoe before?? If the snow is good then flypaper and Spring Run could be fantastic!! (assuminng the avvy risc doesn't close them)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kitenski, E-Mail roland.schofield@yahoo.co.uk
Been Glencoe 2 or 3 times before and same to Nevis but never had brilliant conditions at either other than when I was a relative novice years ago. Snowed all morning then glorious sunshine for the afternoon at Nevis and you could have been on any mountain anywhere in the world. Its kind of what keeps me going back skiing in Scotland every now and then because when the weather gods smile on you it can be great skiing.
snow report
Forecast for monday looking ok, low winds and a bit of cloud (could be clag on top of course). Lets hope they sort any damage before we get there, I'm sure they'll be doing their best.

robapplegate@hotmail.com

On the day I'll have a few tastefully placed snowheads stickers about my person.
snow report
looks a bit blowy up there still!!

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=777121469028772&fref=nf
snow report
@kitenski, Shocked wouldn't want to be sitting on a chairlift in that. Wind appears to be easing off for monday Very Happy
ski holidays
http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=ski;resort=S2108~Glencoe;sess=#forecast
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Glencoe/6day/mid

@robapplegate, @kitenski, Early next week looking really good for wind and weather gents so starting to get excited about skiing in Scotland !!! Just need them to get on the hill, fix any storm damage and pray that the avalanche risk isnt too high fro them to open runs like Flypaper/ Spring run in Glencoe and the back Corries at Nevis.
ski holidays
@rolyyyyyyy, they have a deal on at this b&b if it's any use to you https://www.itison.com/Glasgow/deals/glencoe-overnight--2?utm_source=DealOfTheDayEmail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=DealOfTheDayEmail-2015-01-14
snow conditions
@reidabook1, You gonna be there too?
@rolyyyyyyy, if av risk is too high at glencoe on monday there's nevis range which doesn't have the same problems as far as I know
snow report
@robapplegate, just read the update at Glencoe for tomorrow and only the flypaper is going to be closed due to Avalanche risk so no great shakes even if it's still the same Monday. It sounds like the rain and freeze thaw on the lower slopes has consolidated the snow enough that they are even considering working all night and pisting the lower slopesas well as the upper. That would pretty much guarantee top to bottom skiing for a good while giving us over 800M of vertical drop to go at whichever day we ski Glencoe. Would still prefer to ski there Monday just as it gives me half an hour more in bed before I have to set off !!!
latest report
pics from nevis

http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=1021
snow conditions
and some snippets from Glencoe email update

Cash is King

Recent storms have damaged our telephone lines so card machines are even more temperamental than normal so if you can bring cash tomorrow that would be helpful as well as quicker.

Run conditions

All runs have a great cover of snow including the car park runs. Snow is consolidated lower down but plenty of powder higher up. Staff plan to pull an all night shift to ensure that the whole mountain is open by the morning.

Avalanche risk is high on certain aspects so please pay attention to ski patrol and do not venture where you know you should not be.

Weather

Saturday - Very light (didn't think I would ever say that again) North Westerly wind with occasional snow flurries and the chance of some sunshine.

Sunday - Moderate Northerly wind with sunshine.

Monday onwards - Very light winds with some further snow showers (heaviest on Tuesday).
latest report
@kitenski, useful post, specially "cash is king". I'm getting stupidly excited now, is that normal for a 50 year old?
latest report
@robapplegate, ha!!

Monday is looking good, Tues maybe a bit more snow around so as long as we can see could be fun!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy