Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wearing Out Bandit XX. What now?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have been skiing a second hand pair of Bandit XX 177 for several years now. I like these skis a lot but I have been told by an instructor that they have lost their 'spring'?? More importantly, I have Fritschi mountaineering bindings, the heel-lock (the bit that allows the heel to rise) of which releases if I push hard in a pipe, due to the ski bending and resulting in a very amusing (for everyone else) face-plant! I think I would also like a little more of a rear tip, as the XXs do tend to catch a bit when skiing backwards.
That said, I'm no park junkie, the back country being my favoured domain.

I'm still only skiing at ESF black level - 20 weeks or so.
    I do like to be able to ski high-G carved turns when on the piste and probably in reality ski 60/40 piste/off-piste.
    I would hate to lose the speed and glide of the XX.
    I will be keeping the bandit XXs for ski mountaineering and use 'normal' bindings on any replacement ski.
    I'm 180cm/86kg.
    I can only afford second hand - I had considered hiring for this coming week, but the price is much the same as a used pair of skis

I'm considering a used pair of Bandit SC80 175cm, but have read that they may be too much of a compromise?

Any thoughts?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
185 Nordica Soul Rider
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bandit XX was a great ski. Lost mine a while back but the missus is still going strong.

I would have suggested a Dynastar 87 which I trialled recently but it sounds like the tail will bug you.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had a pair of the original 176 bandit b1s and loved them for years, I replaced them with an ex-hire pair of 174 sc80s and although they were good, I was still hankering after my old bandits. The sc80s seemed lifeless and heavy in comparison to my old skis The sc80s have sat in the cupboard for a couple of years now as I bought a pair of 8.9bbr which some people think of as a marmite ski, well, I hate the look of the things, but love skiing them!
When I was looking I was told maybe a scott mission or venture would suit which can be picked up reasonably cheaply. If your stuck on the idea of sc80s I may be persuaded to part with mine.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skied Whistler in 1999 on a pair of hired xx Bandits. Best two weeks of my life. Whatever skis you choose, it will not compare. If I had a pair now, I would sleep with them in my bed.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Having looked at the recommended skis, and seen what they are going for, how much do you want for those SC80s?

I'm currently looking at a fairly tired pair: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251778354222?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nothing to do with me as I already have a pair, I have my eye out for some Outland 87's so I cannot comment on condition, but 129 or make an offer, worth a punt
Great ski, had mine for 3 seasons. In 178cm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dynastar-Outland-80-All-Mountain-Skis-178-Great-/221661249114?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Skiing_Skis_JN&hash=item339c0a3e5a

I am 181cm and same weight as you ish
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My bases are better but i wouldn't beat that ebay price, tbh my real point is that you may be disapointed with the sc80, but I'd want £60 plus p&p how soon do you need them?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hmmm, May take you up on that. Have moved goalposts slightly to Apache recon/Head monsters but as you're in my area perhaps I could keep your SC80s in mind as a last resort? Going on 13/2 so a little time to sort things out.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
No worries, I don't think they're going anywhere. I'm off on the 24th though for a week.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SAPurdie wrote:
Hmmm, May take you up on that. Have moved goalposts slightly to Apache recon/Head monsters but as you're in my area perhaps I could keep your SC80s in mind as a last resort? Going on 13/2 so a little time to sort things out.

Not worth looking for something a bit more up to date? I don't think K2 have made the Recons since 2009, or something like that..?!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SAPurdie
I've just sold my skis to a mate who had some even older than yours!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No worries. I have just last night figured out a way to tie my bindings down with a bit of string* :0)

*Actually dyneema glider line, so it will last a week or more.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A couple of years ago I replaced my Rossi B2s because they had lost their "pop" to some extent. I believe they have a foam core which degrades with use and time. I replaced them with Atomic Theories which I've been very pleased with. Same light weight, wider underfoot so much better off piste and fine skiing switch if you like that sort of thing. Theories have been around long enough now to hit the second hand market, might be worth a look (still enjoy the ol' B2s if it's mega rocky out there like often so far this season).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hubby replaced the XX with Scott Missions and is now skiing Dynastar Cham 97
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy