Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help choosing a resort for my wife to re-learn skiing!!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Another vote for Canada. No language barrier just a few eh! To get past.
Small classes, if you improve you move up, last year one family member booked a couple of private lessons then booked a couple of group lesson she shared an instructor with one person for her group lesson.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd suggest looking at Les Saisies or Montgenevre. Pam W is your expert on Les Saisies though. We took my sister with us to Montgenevre as a complete beginner and she loved it and came back the next year. The Apeak ski school are very good there for small groups or private lessons.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
biddpyat wrote:
usually the follow my tracks works though pam, skiing powder has very little technical advice, it is a matter of your keeping your tips up, keeping your turns linked and away you go, practice is better than lots and lots of advice, just do it. .

Disagree with everything you've said there!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hello everyone - here's what we did, after all the help and interesting discussion on here.

We went to Finland, Ruka-Kuusamo for the week of 1-8 Feb. and I'm glad to say, we had a great time.
So why did we go there?

First of all, my wife made the decision (probably the most important step for her as she wasn't sure about re-starting skiing).

Secondly the resort was predicted to be quiet; in fact it was almost empty. There were two plane charters there from Crystal (Gatwick and Manchester) and other than that, the rest of the skiers were Finns and they amounted to just a few hundred more!

Thirdly, the ski school was just as good as we hoped for. She had lessons (about ten in the class) - so did I (eight in mine) and progressed very well. She thought that her instructor handled the group really well. I took your advice and left instructing to the instructors. She trusted her's more than me anyway.

Finally the price for a week self catering with Crystal was very reasonable. We booked just about two weeks before we travelled. Pass, lessons and boots / ski hire added just over £300 each to the cost.

The resort was amazing because it was so different. There's not a lot of vertical skiing - take one lift up and one run down, but it is fairly well spread out around the hill. It is set in the middle of forests and frozen lakes (just shy of the Arctic Circle) and the light and evening skiing was something else.

During our week the temperature in the day was usually lower than minus 10 and so we wore plenty of layers. The snow was amazing powdery stuff but unlike what I have seen in the Alps - one day it was sticky even though the temp. was minus brrr.

To add to the positive experience, was saw the Northern Lights and had a two hour husky mushing session. We self catered in a great apartment and the supermarket was in the same building and prices were very reasonable. The transfer from Kuusamo is about 30mins max.

All-in-all it was a great week and I hope that my wife will be happy to ski again. Certainly this was a good re-introduction. Thank you again for all your help and advice.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sounds great - especially the Northern Lights. snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@cameronphillips2000, quit agree, don't try and offer any advise what so ever. They can get rather angry, even though you are just trying to help😡
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Peaklander, not read through the rest of this, but I have two recommendations. Either Gavin Crosby of New Generation Serre Chevalier or Charlotte Swift of Easiski in Les Deux-Alpes. Either of these instructors will have the patience and time to spend with your wife to help her confidence. Of the two resorts Serre Chevalier has more to offer off the slopes, thermal spas, walled fortresses and valley walks.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy