Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hi, I'm new, just joined.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm new and I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, so forgive me. I have never went skiing or snowboarding, but I'm going to start soon, and I thought I would join here. This weekend I am going to Snowbowl, Arizona (Very Happy) and I'm extremely scared. I've never been on a ski lift before, which is what scares me the most. I am going for my birthday for three days with my best friend, so I hope I don't end up looking TOO bad. Any tips?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
#1 tip get some lessons!

Oh and welcome snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Three days, three lessons Very Happy

Or at least two. Will pay off next time you go.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 12-01-15 20:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
^^^+1 lessons! And welcome.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am going snowboarding on Sat. and skiing on Sun. and then do my favorite on Monday.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
then a snowboarding lesson Saturday, ski lesson Sunday.......
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lessons. Enjoy it, persist when you feel you are never going to get the hang of it, be prepared for bits of yourself to hurt. I think snowboarders hurt the most when they start (bruised bottoms for example), but it's easier to progress after the first couple of days compared with skiing.. Most snowheads here are skiers, so we will all encourage you to prefer skiing wink.
Perhaps one piece of advice would be to wear wrist guards for snowboarding...as I understand it, and in fact in my experience with others on a trip, broken wrists are a common injury for beginner boarders. I would hate you to miss your ski lesson cos of a poorly arm! (Why not ski first and board on day 2?)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Welcome to Snowheads and good luck.
You will fall over, it will hurt, you will get frustrated, angry, cold and wet. You will hurt in places you didn't know you could hurt.

And you will feel better than anything else in the world when you nail it.
Then you're hooked for life Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Oh and +1 for lessons, and wrist guards on the snowboard.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Day 1: snowboard lesson
Day 2: snowboard lesson
Day 3: you'll link your first turns and the rest is history...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Gainz, I sense a bias there Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Welcome to Snowheads!

Just pick skiing Wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The best things in life are scary the first few times.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@WaterSymbol, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Do you have a helmet? Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
WaterSymbol wrote:
I am going snowboarding on Sat. and skiing on Sun. and then do my favorite on Monday.

Pick one before you go and stick with it until you make some progress ie linked turns.

You can then try snowboarding if you really want to Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi watersymbol, best advice I can give is to remember to take your sense of humour! Then get lessons.
Have fun.
ski holidays
I don't think it's daft for a total beginner to try both disciplines in the first days.

@WaterSymbol, are your friends already good skiers/boarders (or think they are)? If so, don't let them just bully you into going with them rather than taking lessons. That could be a really bad idea especially as you are (understandably) nervous already.
latest report
@pam w, I agree with Pam, I have often been tempted with having a go at Snowboarding (especially as I have heard it can be saver with my knees) but the idea of being a beginner again when at the moment we can only manage 1week a year.
snow report
+1 all lesson comments.

Before you go, whilst there and on your next trip.

And have a great time. You will love it.

And do not worry about the lifts. They're a doddle on skis and quite funny to fall off at the end for newbie boarders.
latest report
Chairlifts aren't that hard on a board. Just line it up, keep it straight and push away gently with your hands with your free foot on the stomp pad. Look where you want to go, or use the pointing finger method if you like and keep your knees soft to absorb bumps and icy bits. If you do fall over - Keep ducked down until you know the chair has passed over you then scuttle out of the way. Oh, and always make sure that the high-back on your rear binding is down when you get on the lift, particularly if they're low ones.

Watch out for skiers waving their poles about like drum majorettes - they know they NEED them, but they NEVER know quite what to do with them... Twisted Evil
snow report
@Richard_Sideways, poles are for tapping together behind your back, obvs.
snow report
@Shimmy Alcott, I always thought they were for scratching the topsheet of snowboards
+1 for sense of humour.
ski holidays
Now I thought poles were for pulling the boarders along the flat bits, at least thats what my boarder friend always tells me!
snow report
Lots of +1 for boarder humour.

I find the best way to get of the lift is to push back against the person next to me. I'm off the lift first and it annoys the person next to me (i.e. the wife) Smile
snow conditions
@Mike-H, Laughing
@gixxerniknik, It's better to stand on the backs of the skis and make them do all the work.
snow report
@WaterSymbol, interesting user name Very Happy
latest report
WaterSymbol wrote:

Doing my favourite on Monday Shocked I had to read this twice to understand what the OP meant!
ski holidays
Thanks for all the tips guys, it really helps.
ski holidays
ALQ wrote:
@WaterSymbol, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Do you have a helmet? Toofy Grin

I do, and a bunch of other stuff such as gloves, goggles, etc.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
I don't think it's daft for a total beginner to try both disciplines in the first days.

@WaterSymbol, are your friends already good skiers/boarders (or think they are)? If so, don't let them just bully you into going with them rather than taking lessons. That could be a really bad idea especially as you are (understandably) nervous already.

No, my best friend is going with me but has never snowboarded/skied also.
latest report
Personally I think that he should start with the easiest discipline . . . and should master telemarking the first morning . . . Twisted Evil
latest report
@Masque, One does not simply become a telemarker in a day! You'd need adequate time to grow the mandatory Griz beard and a minimum of 6 weeks of not washing to become a telemark master.
latest report
@Richard_Sideways you also need to have the right uniform
snow report
Remember, if you fluff the lift dismount and end up on the floor or flailing arms and legs everywhere. Wait till your fellow lift companion is just out of earshot then blame them vigorously to everyone for knocking you off balance wink
snow conditions
What's the difference between a beginner snowboarder and a snowboard instructor?

5 days Toofy Grin

No seriously, the learning curve for snowboarding is short but you fall a lot in the beginning: on your knees, on your coccyx, on your hands (hurty wrists), back of the skull. You will be bruised and swollen.

The learning curve for skiing is much longer but you fall seldom and, when you do, it's on your side and hardly ever hurts. Unless you find yourself in the snow park Skullie

Either way, swallow your pride, set dignity aside and persevere through the tricky beginning because it is unbelievably incredible when you get it right – no other feeling like it snowHead
ski holidays
@Zero_G, it was 3 days when I heard that joke last week. ESF must've tightened up the Les instructeur regulations du snowboard over the weekend.
latest report
Welcome aboard, definitely get lessons!
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways, I believe they've raised the bar a tad wink
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@Masque, One does not simply become a telemarker in a day! You'd need adequate time to grow the mandatory Griz beard and a minimum of 6 weeks of not washing to become a telemark master.

So you've met Masque, then?
snow conditions
Red Leon, Laughing
snow report
And don't worry about what others may think. I've stacked it skiing under the lifts and received some wonderful comments from the people on the lifts. Its funny, not offensive and part of the learning curve. I looked like a total prat but who cares? Leave your pride at home and enjoy picking yourself up.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy