Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What level should I start with?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Went skiing when I was 15 (school trip). We had lessons at Hillingdon dry slope before the holiday and as far as I recall, was comfortable on the blue slopes in Madonna di Campiglio.

Roll forward 30 years and am now booked onto a skiing trip in March and looking into some much needed lessons.

Explained all this to my local ski centre (Hemel Snow Centre) and they've booked me onto a level 3 apres ski group session. They did suggest level 4 but I thought that a step too far being that I've not been near snow for 30 years.

Just wanted to know your thoughts on whether I should just book a level 1-2 course instead, or just jump straight into level 3-4. Am still in fairly good shape for my age so haven't doubled in weight or anything!

Cheers,

Condmach
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think it depends in part on how confident you typically are in such circumstances, and how you'd deal with it being too easy or too difficult. I.e. it's more about your approach to life than your skiing ability, as with no skiing in the last 30 years you don't have much information on your current skiing ability!

I think L3 is a good compromise. You'll still be on the training slope rather than the main slope, and it will be expected that at the start of the lesson you can do a snowplough and turn a little from side to side. L4 would expect you to be a competent snowplough turner and be able to go straight on to the main slope. L1/L2 would be about introducing you to skiing and then introducing the snowplough. If you are woefully out of your depth at the start of the lesson the instructors will do their best to find another group running in parallel at a more suitable level, although that isn't always possible.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@CONDMACH, Welcome to Snowheads.

Suitability of the 'Level 3 Apres ski group' depends on your liver and usual alcohol comsumption and whether or not you can stand cheesey europop Toofy Grin

As for skiing - you're 45 and haven't been on skis for 30 years. Skis and equipment have changed in the last 30 years, as has ski technique. You are almost certainly not in the same physical shape as you were 30 years ago. You may find you benefit from starting from scratch - if it all comes back to you then you'll move up a level or two really quickly
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
When I returned to skiing after a 20 year break I expected to start from scratch and yet was pleasantly surprised to be bumped up a couple of levels straight away. Whilst it's definitely not like riding a bike I think you'll be bored and wasting money to go all the way back to the beginning.
Have fun. X
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Many thanks everyone, will let you know how it goes Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Like yourself I did a weeks skiing with school at 15 and started up again 15 years later. I started at the beginning from scratch and was glad I did because I couldn't remember anything, I did however pick it back up again pretty quickly and progressed much quicker than the other beginners in my lessons.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@CONDMACH, Welcome to Snowheads snowHead

Why not try a taster session first. These normally consist of getting you used to the equipment and basic sliding rather than really teaching you to ski. It may be just enough for your body to remember what sliding on a pair of planks was like and allow you to make a more informed decision on which level of lessons to go for ( plus the instructor will be able to tell you anyway what lessons are best ). The taster at most places is normally quite a bit cheaper than an actual lesson.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We find that if people have been able to competently snowplough turn 15 years ago (usually BC, ie Before Children!), we can often have them turning from the top of our small hill in an hour's private 1:1 lesson, which would be the expected end result of a 6 hour group beginners course. Your body will remember quite a bit of it, and if you start from scratch you will pick it up significantly faster than someone who is completely new to it, so the L1/2 doesn't sound like the right thing. Taster and then L3 sounds quite good. I believe 1:1's in the fridges tend to be very expensive - if there's a dry slope anywhere near, why not have a 1:1 to find your level at your own speed (ie not complete beginner speed), and then go and join the appropriate level indoors if you prefer to continue your learning on snow?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@CONDMACH, L3 sounds about right; We hope that all those who join a L3 class can hold a snow-plough and make small changes of direction while sliding down the hill. Given a week away some time ago; you'll hopefully remember that after a couple of goes!

Plan B would be to get a private lesson; we have a (very) few left! Nothing at the weekends except maybe late evening.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@CONDMACH, Welcome along
You're doing the right thing. There are usually L1, L2, L3, L4 Apres groups running at the same time so it shouldn't be a problem moving up or down groups.
Perhaps a few squats, hopping, balance skills and some stretching meantime Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy