Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wrist Guards Vs Wrist Supports

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I know this has probably been asked a million times but what are peoples views on wrist guards vs wrist supports?

Long story short me and the missus are boarders. During our holiday at Xmas she slipped on some ice while on her board and did the big no no and put her hands behind her to break her fall. She now has a broken wrist.

I have done lots of research on the wrist guards but am aware these can actually cause the break to go further up the arm. I use weight lifting wrist straps in the gym to stop my wrists from bending too far back when lifting stupid heavy weights. Would these be a slightly better option over the actual guards?

CHeers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We use red wrist guards but was looking at these for my son who had a bad wrist break (team building evening playing dodge ball) rolling eyes

http://www.alpsgear.co.uk/17-flexmeter-wrist-guards.html
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
+1 for red, I find them more comfortable and less intrusive than the rigid ones.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
DO you not feel like the would cause more damage higher up your arm if you did fall on them? I know broken bones are a danger of the sport, but I don't want to make the situation worse for her if you know what I mean
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As my heavy lifting is normally reserved to things which weigh about a forkful of pie, can't really comment on wrist supports, but I've ridden with wrist guards on and off all my riding career, particularly in the early days and when I'm lofting myself off stuff. I've heard stories of these transfer breaks but only when people have had really quite substantial falls on bad landings, rather than and 'oops' moment on icy pistes - you're just not carrying enough momentum to break one of those big bones in the arm.

A snowboard wrist guard (the ones I've had anyway) doesn't prevent the wrist going 'backwards' per se, but straps a hard plastic support in place on the palm of the hand and up the inner wrist/arm to the glove line. That protects the smaller, more fragile bones and wrist joint from a jolting impact, rather than a gradual application of force that I'd suspect a weightlifters support would. Dakine make some decent enough ones at a cheap price, which you can fit under a glove reasonably, or you can get systems with integrate into the glove directly. Hope the missus' wrist is on the mend and she's back on the board soon.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Richard_Sideways, Thanks for the info, she is healing well and we are off again end of Feb. She is tiny and has weak wrists at the best of times. We are casual riders and dont do jumps or anything like that so it sounds like the guards might be the way forward to put her mind at ease.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You could try some gloves with wrist supports built in - I have a pair of Level Fly gloves with it built in, they're quite a lot less of a pfaff to put on, take off etc.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+1 for the Flexmeter guards. I've had the Dakine and Dainese in the past but the Flexmeter are more comfortable and better designed imho.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm with @Richard_Sideways, on this point. I believe in the benefit of wrist protectors. I like the ones that have a support in front and back of the wrist. The main function is to protect the small bones in the wrist which can be nasty to break. I don't subscribe to the theory about guards transferring the impact up the arm, firstly because I don't think that is (in purely mechanical terms) what they do, and secondly because the higher up the arm you go the bigger the bones hence the more able the bones are to withstand bigger impacts anyway.

The only real downside is that they do tend to smell quite bad.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks guys, I think the other half is set on getting the Flexmeter Plus.

Cheers for the input
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
With wrist guards what works for some may not work for others. The flexmeter are probably the most overly protective and I never felt the need for them. I don't subscribe to the transferring the break theory neither. I have level fly gloves and swore by them for the last 5 years but last season I slipped on some ice on a black run and I just needed to stablise myself to stop me from stacking so I reacted and stuck my left hand out causing it to bend back. That hurt and I was sore for a few days but luckily a friend had red double wrist guard which helped. I bought this seasons one which are slightly bulkier but I'll see how I get on with them. May just put the level guard back in my gloves.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@chrisrawles, I've never used them but I've heard good things about the flexmeters, but are quite large compared to some. Your wife may want to go shopping for mitts rather than gloves as they'll be easier to fit, although Demon do sell a specific overglove for the range, but they aren't exactly pretty (unless she's into the black and gauntlety look) . And a set of cheap, thin inner gloves she can wear under the guards may help any aromatic issues.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@monkey, Glad I'm not the only one with the smell problem, usually wash them mid week then disinfect at the end of the holiday!!!!
@rogg, Who's making them now? My daughters been hunting for some and can't seem to find any.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think today it'd be hard to find wrist guards stiff enough to transfer a breaking force into the big arm bones but keeping all the tiny bones and connective tissues in the wrist from overflexing or breaking is probably a good idea.
But I wear impact shorts and occasionally a back protector . . . It's a lot easier to keep your hands away from the ground if you know you're not going to break yer coxyx. . . And learn to fall properly Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Re smelly mitts etc: Just rub a little VicksVaporub into your fingers at the start of the day. Make sure you work it well into the cuticles and under the nail. Repeat at night when going to bed . . . Make sure you do this after any personal intimacy Twisted Evil
Don't be heavy handed and you won't sink of eucalyptus. If you have yellow crusty nails it will eventually cure it.
snow conditions
@robapplegate, The ones I have are Level gloves. Comfortable and convenient, but only really worn if there's ice or it's getting a bit polished.

http://www.levelgloves.com/protection.php?recordID=1031UG_03_fly_royal.gif

Looking at the site now they have a female specific glove and protector too.
snow report
@rogg, thanks for that, they look good, I'll pass the link to her.
ski holidays
Quote:

I don't subscribe to the theory about guards transferring the impact up the arm, firstly because I don't think that is (in purely mechanical terms) what they do, and secondly because the higher up the arm you go the bigger the bones hence the more able the bones are to withstand bigger impacts anyway.

Agreed.

However I only think they are of real benefit to beginners (many, low speed falls onto wrists) and people with existing wrist injury.

I think this link is quite interesting on wrist injury/guards
http://www.ski-injury.com/prevention/wrist_guards
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy