Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are we heading for a mini Snowmaggedon

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
Looking at various weather sites, all appear to be showing snowfalls Very Happy Very Happy around Friday 16th and Saturday 17th January in France.

We are driving to Chambery on Saturday 17th stopping overnight and then onto Montgenevre first thing on Sunday morning.

Got my snow tyres, chains ( K summits ) snow socks a shovel, water and sandwiches at the ready,

Really glad if it snows, wonder what the drive will be like
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Timbobaggins, Hope you get there without any issues, looking for a report on Montgenevre as well, as we are due there at half term. wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@bruisedskier,

Will do one, assuming we can get wifi in resort
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@bruisedskier, we went for New Year last year and we loved it. My Sis is off with her family tomorrow...there is space for me but I cant go due to work commitments.

@Timbobaggins, the snow looks desperately needed, loads of runs still closed.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Timbobaggins, there's really no need to armaggedon, even if it snows a lot. The only reason it happended last time was due to the amount of people on the roads.

FWIW I landed at Innsbruck airport DURING the snowstorm last time without issue, and drove from there to Montafon on snow-covered motorways without issue (other than speed being restricted to 80-100km/h and normal caution on the curves in the road, and I took the tunnel rather than the Arlberg pass!). That was after midnight when no-one else was on the road though. No need for chains, even on the nebdy road up to the village.

Outside of peak travelling times snow isn't a problem as long as you have winter tyres.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Timbobaggins, I can't see the 1cm currently forecast for Montgenevre on Sunday morning posing you any great problem, to be honest. Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Lizzard,

1cm normally causes chaos in the UK, looking at the following weekend Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Timbobaggins, Don't forget your doofer !
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@cstreat,

Nope got the Doofer thanks, however this year it will be its 5th year to France, wondering if it will Doof at the first toll Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Timbobaggins, I'd swear that first toll out of Calais takes a while longer than any others to activate Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Timbobaggins, I had to check my debit card was the same one as APRR had on record; had a hell of a job finding my password for the site! Have fun in Monty; Cesars pizza and steak is good at the SC end of town, also the Italian restaurant on the left before the TS Serra Granet.. much better value than the big one opposite, family run.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It'll be fine. A quiet weekend so nobody with the right equipment should have any bother in the alps. It's snow in northern france which can cause chaos any time. Friends visiting me took ages from Calais, with many hours in convoy behind a snowplough at 30 mph.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Timbobaggins wrote:

Got my snow tyres... ...water and sandwiches at the ready,

The biggest hazard you might face is stale sandwiches (if they are already "at the ready")...!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@offpisteskiing,
May be I like stale sandwiches
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Timbobaggins, on the basis of you stopping off in Chambery Sat pm. Get up not too early Sun am, drive up the motorway, just before the Frejus tunnel, turn off and nick a quick half day ski in Val Frejus, then to Monte from there is only an hour.

Skied there this week and conditions were very good.
snow report
cstreat wrote:
@Timbobaggins, I had to check my debit card was the same one as APRR had on record; had a hell of a job finding my password for the site! Have fun in Monty; Cesars pizza and steak is good at the SC end of town, also the Italian restaurant on the left before the TS Serra Granet.. much better value than the big one opposite, family run.

I logged into my APRR account, good job I did as it said my credit card had expired so I have added a new one. Thanks for the tips re eating
snow conditions
@Weathercam,

Might well give Val Frejus a bash
ski holidays
Looking at Nozza's weather thread, the day we travel is deffo looking like a mini snowmaggedon, ( Sat 17th ) Very Happy
snow report
@Timbobaggins, Last year my card expired in the summer and I renewed it with APRR however the doofer didn't work on the way down but after an exchange of emails it was sorted by my return journey. Might be worth checking that it has been reactivated before you travel!
snow conditions
@tarrantd,

will do
ski holidays
Timbobaggins wrote:
Are we heading for a mini roundabout?

Fixed it for you.

The answer to that question is not known, but the snow-forecasting (or roundabout forecasting) service of the Ski Club of Great Britain - which includes 9-day forecasts for members - may or may not assist.

Timbobaggins wrote:

We are driving to Chambery on Saturday 17th

Be alert for mini roundabouts and 'priorité à droite'
latest report
SCGB insider wrote:
Be alert for mini roundabouts and 'priorité à droite'

Very true. Most roundabouts in France have yield signs as you approach them saying "Vous n'avez pas la priorité". However on an industrial estate in Toulouse (on my way to a tourist trip round the Airbus factory there incidentally which was very interesting) I was a bit surprised to encounter several smaller roundabouts where this didn't apply and traffic on the roundabout had to give way to vehicles entering the roundabout - how weird (and stupid imv)! Laughing
snow report
@Alastair Pink, I was living in France when they changed the priority rules for roundabouts back in 1980. The changeover took place at midnight on a sunday, the journey into the city on the Monday morning was "interesting" to say the least!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy