Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Circus- Saalbach/ Hinterglem etc

Poster: A snowHead
@maxima, The Asiztbahn gondola is in two stages, the second of which finishes outside three eating places: the Asitzbraeu, the Alte Schmiede and the Chicken Man. To get to Saalbach you take the Asitzgipfelbahn chair, followed by the Sportbahn 2000 chair, followed by the Schoenleiten 6er (or the Schoenleitenbahn 2nd stage). From there (the summit of the Wildenkarkogel) it's 7km to Saalbach, downhill all the way.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@maxima, oh, and agree with Tatman's suggestion for the final descent to Leogang. Blue 90 is a good run, but has been closed this week, and unless you pick up some pace, often requires a bit of poling. 89 red is in good condition, and while 89a is a very straightforward short black, it doesn't, at the moment, have as good coverage.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Colinthc, good to know - cant wait at this stage, 8 more days then we'll be on the way at least ! Lets hope the snow thats forecast will arrive over the nxt few days
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
TX Tatman - are yu over there at the moment ? How is the weather ?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
alex_heney and I had another good ski day, this time in the Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang (SHL) Ski Circus. We started from Leogang, going up the new Steinbergbahn gondola. For the morning the weather was superb, blue skies and cloudless over us, though quite windy at times. We skied the sunnyside of the Glemmtal, the north side, along to the Hochalm at Hinterglemm and back. Here's a photo from the Maisalm above Saalbach (hot chocolate stop), looking over the Bernkogel pistes towards Hinterglemm's Zwölferkogel...

Going up the Bernkogel there were signs of things to come - a sample chair from the 6-seater chairlift which will replace the long T-bars next season...

And to complete the future picture here is the view over to the Fieberbrunn ski area from beside the top station of the Reiter-Ost chairlift, the spot where I expect the new gondola linking Hinterglemm and Fieberbrunn to be standing next December...

The pistes had been hard packed, polished in places when we set out from Leogang but became softer on the south-facing slopes as the day progressed. However, all were good to ski. It was moderately busy early on but quiet in the afternoon. We lunched at the Sonnhof by the Hochalmbahn before we started on the return trip, leaving there at 13:30. We arrived back at the new Polten 8-seater chairlift, the last one you need to get back over to the Leogang slopes (and then the Asiitzmüldenbahn on the Leogang side) about 15:45. Here's the view looking down at the Polten lift...

From around midday it clouded over and it was also noticeably colder. So we were glad of warming Glühwein in the Asitzbräu, with the Saints Marching In accompanied by an Alpenhorn. From the Asitzbräu it wasn't far to stagger to the Steinbergbahn gondola at the end of a fine ski day.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@maxima,
Quote:

How is the weather ?

Snowing all day, at times quite heavily.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Snowing all day, at times quite heavily.

Lovely ! Just what we need.
Had a look at your website, apts look fab, good to know for future ref.

Need to pick your brains again if thats ok, studying the piste map every evening along with your info and tips. Got over as far as Piste 19 but cant figure out how to get back to the Hochalm 6er from that Blue 19 - I can follow from the Hochalm to the Sunliner via Rosswaldbahn then the Hasenauerkopfl and run 34 back to the Sunliner and as you told me from there its the 37 etc etc. BUT I cant see how to get from Blue 19 to the Hochalm, probably really obvious but Im missing it Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@maxima,
Quote:

how to get back to the Hochalm 6er from that Blue 19

As you will see from the piste map, blue 19 joins up with 22; you then ski to the Hochalm 6er chair, and, from the top of that, take blue 26/25/27 to the Rosswaldbahn chair. You can actually cut out the Hasenauerkoepfl chair (and piste 34) by taking blue 38 past the bottom of that chair directly to the Sunliner.

Incidentally, it's still dumping quite heavily so should be good when it clears.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Once again thanks again for the info Tatman, followed by the weather update, sounds like the slopes will be nicely covered by the time we get there snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm here this week and conditions have been lovely, especially yesterday - blue skies, mostly smooth grippy snow and not too busy. Whoop whoop!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@tripowski,

Whoop Whoop is right - only 5 more sleeps then I'll be ON THE SLOPES - lovin the sound of that "smooth, grippy, snow "
Laughing Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi all

Just been looking at the times of the lifts on the skicircus website and Im wondering if they are accurate - we were thinking of doing our first run on the Turm 6er ( to get the ski legs back ) then skiing over to the Kohlmaisbahn Gondola to do a few more nice blues - We are early birds and normally like to be staring our first one by approx 8.30 so I was surprised to see that the Turm 6er starts at 9am - Is this correct, does anybody know ?

I see the Kohlmaisbahn starts at 8.30 so if we have to, we can do that first, just not sure how to get to it on foot, through the town, is it handy enough ?
Its a long time since I was in Saalbach and I only remember skiing over to it from the Turm ( was in ski school at the time and we always started with the chairlift )

Any help as always, greatly appreciated snowHead snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Some gondolas open at 8 if you look at the webcams. Pretty early for any resort.

You can see Bernkogel running on the 8:06 timed feed for example.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kohlmaisbahn and Bernkogelbahn open at 8.30. The Bernkogel gondolas that you see on the webcam at 8 are being attached to the cable, so they need to start this by 8 to have completed and checked everything ready to open at 8.30. The chairs (e.g. Turm 6) start at 9.00. To walk to the Kohlmaisbahn, just continue up the road past Bauers/SpitzPub and the lift station is 100m further on, opposite the Hotel Kohlmais.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ah ok, thanks!
latest report
@quinton,

Thanks so much for that info and directions - would have been hanging around waiting for Turm6 to open - straight to the Kohlmaisbahn it is so !

Roll on Sunday Very Happy
snow report
@maxima, The Kohlmaisgipfelbahn (the bottom station of which is opposite our front door incidentally) has a mid-station, where you can disembark and do the easiest blue - piste 52 - which ends up on the Turmwiese nursery area. Or, if you feel so inclined, you can go all the way to the top, exit to the left (not the right which has a short but relatively steep initial slope) and ski down an easy little track that takes you back under the gondola cables to the other side of the top station, from where you can ski piste 52 all the way down, or (probably even easier) take pistes 56/66, which are easy, gentle tracks and connect with 52 at the mid-station.
latest report
A big Thank You Tatman
Thats our first few runs sorted, getting the all important ski legs back Very Happy
ski holidays
@maxima, If you PM me your e-mail address (or e-mail me using the contact details in my website below), I'll send you my guide and a couple of itineraries.
snow report
Have sent that off through your website Tatman

Definitely owe you a pint at this stage and will keep an eye out for you
Is it true that you have T.W.A.T. on your Helmet and can be spotted a mile away !!!!
snow conditions
Hi guys, I have been reading on here how you get from the top of the Bernkogel gondola over towards the Hinterglemm pistes.

How about getting from the Bernkogel to the other side - Kohlmaisbahn. Can you get over without coming off the skis? Can't tell from the piste map.
latest report
@maxima, Certainly not - what do you take me for! (It's on my tee-shirt and baseball cap).
snow report
@barrymct, You have to take your skis off just to cross the road. Ski down the Bernkogel (incidental tip - the piste bashers come up at 5.00pm, leaving a perfectly manicured piste!), then go straight across the road and along a short path on the left-hand (uphill) side of the Panther Hotel, where you will find three lifts that take you up onto the Turmwiese nursery slopes. You then ski down to the Turm 6er chair lift, and from the top of that down to the Kohlmaisgipfelbahn lift station. The Turm 6er closes at 4.20pm, but, if you're running late to get up Kohlmais for a last run down and miss the last chair, it's worth bearing in mind that you can easily walk across the Turmwiese piste to get the last gondola up at 4.30pm.
latest report
@Tatman's Tours, thanks - doesn't sound too onerous then...

incidentally we are booked to stay at the Landhaus Bernkogel (map location here http://goo.gl/Z1rZZV) which is part of the way up the piste. If you're familiar with that area, you reckon this will be too far/uphill to walk to with our skis if we have come back into Saalbach from another piste other than the Bernkogel (eg the Schattberg)?
snow conditions
@barrymct, Yes, it looks a bit of a yomp. I'd be inclined to take a taxi, assuming you won't be using a hire car. Taxis are everywhere, so finding one won't be a problem.
snow report
@Tatman's Tours, Thought so. As long as it's manageable without the gear after the après après then I'm not too concerned!
ski holidays
It's been a while since the last report on snow conditions. Anyone there at the minute or just back that can share their opinions with those of us still counting down the days?
snow report
the snow conditions were great last week - it snowed most days and didn't get too hot
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looking at coming out 14th March for a week. Do you think we should wait to book re conditions of pistes snow depths etc? Not been to Saalbach before but after reading last yrs posts around the same time we are abit dubious.
snow report
Quote:

It's been a while since the last report on snow conditions. Anyone there at the minute or just back that can share their opinions with those of us still counting down the days?

Sorry, but we've probably all been too busy enjoying ourselves in all the new snow Toofy Grin

It has snowed here every day since Friday, after what was already a good week for snow. The upside is that there is plenty of snow - probably close to a metre in total since Friday. The downside is that the bloody snowplough has woken me up at 5 a.m. every morning for the last week.

Today was very snowy in the morning, with a blizzard on the mountain. Then at lunchtime the clouds parted and we had an hour or so of sunshine. Sunny day forecast for Tuesday, then overcast with light snow for the rest of the week.
snow report
Piste conditions are currently as good as I've ever known! (And no sign of it changing).
ski holidays
Looks like the sun's been shining out there these past few days. How're the pistes holding up?
snow report
@barrymct, Unfortunately I'm unable to comment (other than to say that they look fine on the web cams), because I've proved myself to be a complete and utter T.W.A.T. by somehow arranging to be back in the UK this week, thereby missing the World Cup, the Fasching festivities, the sunny weather, and the visit to Saalbach of the leader of my all-time favourite rock band (who invited me to join his group for dinner mid-week and to do some guiding).
latest report
@Tatman's Tours, unfortunate scheduling alright! Never heard of 'fasching'... sounds interesting... how long do they fasch for??

Going by bergfex there's incoming snow next week, which should set things up nicely for our group arriving on the 28th Little Angel
snow report
@barrymct, Fasching = carnival week, with lots of crazy fancy dress parties. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_in_Germany,_Switzerland_and_Austria
ski holidays
its wall to wall sunshine out here at the moment. Temperatures are hovering around 0 to +5 and the sun is very strong. Its spring snow from about 11, even at higher levels but pistes are generally holding up (although some of the lower south facing slopes are starting to look a bit bare).

The North facing slopes, especially higher up are getting quite icy but are still skiable. All in all, its not too bad but a top up of snow and a return to colder temperatures would be really welcome.
snow report
Looks like some colder weather could be on its way after the weekend. Fingers crossed conditions will be acceptable by 14/3 when I head out there.
latest report
Anyone out there this week that can share their opinion of current conditions? We're are heading out at the wknd and there seems to be a few days of light snowfall forecast before then. Plan to get a few runs in on Sat afternoon from 3pm. Suggestions welcome for a late afternoon route for an intermediate bunch on the Hinterglemm side of town.
snow conditions
@martebart, Conditions yesterday were warm, sunny and spring-like. Today is much colder and we have new snow - haven't been up to assess it yet, but the forecast looks promising. The pistes are fine, with the exception of a few, lower-lying ones that don't have snow cannons, such as 68 and the lower section of 61. Where are you staying in Hinterglemm - i.e. which is the handiest lift?
snow conditions
We'll be collecting our ski's from Miet ski on Wieslweg, which I've just realised is in the middle of nowhere (no wonder they were the cheapest) We have transport though, so a nearby lift that we could park a minibus beside around 3pm would be ideal.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy