Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Atomic theory length choice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone

Think i've decided to get the atomic vantage theory as my first ski (that ive actually owned).
Just looking for some advice on which length to choose
I'm 5 10, weigh 70kg
level 8 skier
ski about 65/35 off piste/ on piste

Should i go for the 168 or 177?
Previously i have skied on 171s and liked this length. I'm worried the longer ones will be harder to maneuver in tight spots like bumps and trees, am i right in saying this?
Or should i look for something at the 171/ 172 length?

Any more information you need to help me make the decision please ask.

Thanks in advance

Josh
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm 5'10/5'11 and 76kg (I think level 9 or 10) and would recommend 177, out of those options. The theory is a twin tip right? (Edit: yes, just checked) If so, the 177 will feel more like a 170 ish anyway. I bought a 179 Volkl Bridge (also twin tip) and it feels almost too short; for serious speed I'd probably consider even jumping up to 180+. As it is though, I'm stoked. I'd ski-tested them [i.e. tried them] in 179 before going near a purchase, and found them [in a snowdome] slightly too long, but I think that's what you want to feel in a snowdome, personally [I like speed, so opt for something a smidge longer if possible]. Other than that they felt awesome.

Do you not have a chance to ski them/test them (or test something similar) at a snowdome? Check for ski tests on here perhaps (snowEvents section or if you're heading out on a bash - like the EOSB then you'll be able to test something there - not sure if anyone will have the Theory though).

Skiing them is the only 'true way' to gauge something like this - and yes, you will be TOTALLY bummed if you get them, add bindings, head out onto the slopes, and find them to be too short or (in trees*) too long. You're sensible buying all-mountain (imo) and I've heard great things about the Theory in the past.

*Admittedly none of the snowdomes have trees, mores the pity.

It's always worth checking out a Blister Gear Review if they've tested your chosen model; aaaaaand lucky for you, they have: http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2014-2015-atomic-vantage-theory

Good luck deciding.

Edit2: Also - note the comment at the bottom of the Blister review:

Quote:
Chalky said:

December 25, 2014 at 5:04 am
This is an awesome ski my only regret is I bought it in 177 instead of 188. Size up if your buying it imo.

177 I would say is a no-brainer here chap.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the replys, sounds like out of the two lengths 177 is the way to go. My other option is the blizzard regulator in a 172, any thoughts on which to go for? Was rated best all mountain ski by freeskier this year. I guess the deciding factor is which length is better for me a 172 or 177?

Cheers
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
How would you describe your skiing style / what do you plan do be doing on these new skis? (Hucking cliffs, chasing pow, EU piste mileage, any park or touring?)
Where and how frequently do you think you'll be heading out each year?

Also - how agressive do you like to ski (e.g. out of ten, where ten is extremely aggressive)? Apparently the Blizzard's tend to be a little trickier to get to perform, but suit more aggressive charging, owing to their design.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Both are twintips, with both you lose about 30 cm for tips and rocker. Go for the 177 Theory. On piste the length will not be an issue, off piste you will love and need the extra length.

I am 6' and 85 kg and skied the Atomic Ritual in 190, for example. No problem, whatsoever. Nice and stable on piste, shorter length felt way too short. Off-piste this effect was even greater.

Go for it (my opinion). the 177 Theory that is.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy