Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Line Sir Francis Bacon.... alternatives

Poster: A snowHead
Currently skiing Prophet 98`s, and looking for a bit more float, but really like the Line playfulness, so considering SFB. Me, 1.81m, 90 kg, 50/50 piste off piste. What else should I consider ? Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am not sure I would describe the Prophet as playful. More 'dull' and really stable at speed.

My quiver goes from LINE Prophet 98 straight to Movement Fly Swatter. Perhaps that is a little more extreme than you are looking for?

What do you want in your new skis, other than float? Whatbsort of skiing? Exclusively off piste?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Feast, As above, 50/50; for my age, I have found them very playful, and want something similar, but with more float, and some sort of stiffening in the core for on piste stability , so not Line Sick Day for example. Similar waist and turn radius to SFB.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Maybe you could have a look at the Atomic Automatic 109
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whitedot preachers
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@glasgowcyclops,

+1 what he said.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ROssi Soul 7's
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just realised SFB don't have metal matrix; as I am tight as a knat`s, I was looking at offers... Scott punisher, Line influence. I`ll read up on those recommendations, thanks.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cstreat wrote:
@Feast, As above, 50/50; for my age, I have found them very playful, and want something similar, but with more float, and some sort of stiffening in the core for on piste stability , so not Line Sick Day for example. Similar waist and turn radius to SFB.

you've got skis with a relatively stiff core already...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
... and want something similar, with waist around 110mm
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Black Crows do some great skis, but take a look at my review of the latest Bent Chetler, even though they are 120 underfoot they seem to be just as good on piste as my 98mm Nordicas lol
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Supernatural 108?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Scarpa, I had Black Crow Atris recommended to me
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dashed wrote:
ROssi Soul 7's

I genuinely don't get the fuss about these. Had a pair for a day in Snowbird: rented as I thought that my piste orientated skis may not be up to a day of powder. Inaccurate on piste, weirdly smeary off piste unless you rail them, and then they lock you into inflexible turn patterns. Yet everyone is skiing them!

Got back onto my narrower, more piste orientated DPS dailies and found them better at everything bar tracked out powder.

Mind you, ski taste is a very personal thing...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I also own WD Preachers in a 179 length (did not have them in this trip, hence renting the Soul 7s). Much, much more fun: you can take great liberties with them and really play. A bit imprecise on hard piste, but great everywhere else. When mine die, I think I'll get the carbon versions.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 10-01-15 0:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Harry Flashman, Preachers sound spot on, but I guess they are not even cheap in mid summer. I like a bargain, me.
latest report
cstreat wrote:
@Harry Flashman, Preachers sound spot on, but I guess they are not even cheap in mid summer. I like a bargain, me.

I got last years at a bargain Happy
ski holidays
I got mine for 250GBP. Will pm you the link, he may have some left.

ETA - sorry, just checked, he doesn't.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 10-01-15 0:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Harry Flashman wrote:
Dashed wrote:
ROssi Soul 7's

I genuinely don't get the fuss about these. Had a pair for a day in Snowbird: rented as I thought that my piste orientated skis may not be up to a day of powder. Inaccurate on piste, weirdly smeary off piste unless you rail them, and then they lock you into inflexible turn patterns. Yet everyone is skiing them!

Got back onto my narrower, more piste orientated DPS dailies and found them better at everything bar tracked out powder.

Agreed. The whole idea of removing weight from the tips - other than in a spin to win freestyle ski - is Be Nice please! stupid IMO.

Though I rather like smearing/slarving in pow...

OP, you could do much worse than an old gen Moment Bibby Pro - this year re-named and re-released as the Blister Pro. Simply the best euro all condition offpiste-orientated ski you'll find.

I also don't get the fuss about the Preacher - the only reason I can think of to buy a 112mm ski with that much sidecut and without rocker is because you're scared that "a big fat rockered offpiste ski will be impossible to ski on piste."
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
Harry Flashman wrote:
Dashed wrote:
ROssi Soul 7's

Agreed. The whole idea of removing weight from the tips - other than in a spin to win freestyle ski - is stupid IMO.

Though I rather like smearing/slarving in pow...

OP, you could do much worse than an old gen Moment Bibby Pro - this year re-named and re-released as the Blister Pro. Simply the best euro all condition offpiste-orientated ski you'll find.

I also don't get the fuss about the Preacher - the only reason I can think of to buy a 112mm ski with that much sidecut and without rocker is because you're scared that "a big fat rockered offpiste ski will be impossible to ski on piste."

On the Soul 7, the light tips meant it was easily deflected unless using the rocker to surf; and then the fidgety, over-smeary handling was a pain.

On the Preacher, that's actually pretty much why I bought it, so you're spot on. The Line SFB is a similar thing from memory (although later ones may have rocker). And the Preacher is compromised on piste (although fine if you are really willing to crank it over and work hard), and not as good in the deep stuff as something like a DPS Wailer (I love this ski - bloody pricey, though and skittery on piste). But for some reason, the Preacher is a really easy, fun ride. Still wouldn't have it as my only ski, though. The fanboys tend not to tell you how horrid it is on hardpack and hard bumps...
ski holidays
@clarky999, try some Preachers I loved mine on big days. Mistakenly I flogged them last year as I was finding them heavy with a demo binding, big error. I wouldn't call them a one ski quiver but in the rough or deep stuff they were just great. The only ski I have ever been able to properly carve in powder.
latest report
Went for SFB £ 375 inc cheapy bindings and delivery, from Glisshop, arrive thurs... bargain.
ski holidays
@cstreat, sounds good. Sure you'll love them.
snow conditions
So. I got a pair of 178 SFB's last year and skied them at Christmas (2 days) and over half term (3-4 days). Okay snow (bit of powder) for about 2 days of that, the rest was very average. Whilst skiing trees in Les Arcs they are great, however I prefer my old 07 B2's on piste.. This doesn't seem to stack up with other folks experience. On the last day I skied them I started skiing on the ball of my foot. Feels a bit like skiing on tiptoes and pretty hard work, but they're suddenly much nicer to ski when I do this. Nicer turns, way smoother. I've skied for many years and I recon I ski okay (off piste, blacks, trees,etc)... so I wonder what's up. Any Ideas?
snow conditions

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 3-03-15 19:35; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Did you go for recommended by EP mounting point?
ski holidays
Only managed 1 day on mine so far; hoping for more next week. Went for EP`s rec. Very easy to turn, great float, hard on the (new) boots, bit slippy on hard pack steeps.
ski holidays
Nope, the guy in the shop had a pair and said they should be mounted at the furtherest back line. Wondering if that's whats causing the issue? Not played with mount positions before, but the ski does feel much better when skiing on my toes!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So the guy in the shop knew better than creator of those skis...Anyway almost every review about Bacons says you will get most of them of had them mounted on recommended point.When you ski on toes you move your balance forward so o would advice to remount bindings.
ski holidays
Id go for black crows atris 108 mm underfoot 184cm long (aboit the same height and weight as you) after skiing on them 9-5 on mixed conditions first 2 days it rained then dimped with snow then a lot of sun pretty much skied everything from hard icy moguls to foot of powder off piste and playful in the park including rididng switch.if I had an excuses to buy a ski it would be these.agrre with what has been said about the soul7 they are poo.
snow conditions
Quick update - Skied all week on the sfbs over Easter and had new snow most days. Not moving the bindings now - recommended line is perfect for powder/decent snow. Spoke to the folks in the shop at the start of the week, they said wait before re-drilling or getting movable bindings. Def glad I did. Will stick to my old skis for crap snow, the sfb's are perfect as they are. Perhaps if you only want one ski your should stick the B at Eric's recommended. But if you've two then recommended is perfect.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy