Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How 'snow sure' are cheap french resorts for mid march?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

We're skiing 14th -21st march and I'm considering the cheaper 2nd tier resorts near Grenoble:

Val d'Allos (Pra Loup)
Valfréjus
Chamrousse
SuperDévoluy
La Joue du Loup
Le Corbier (Les Sybelles)
Saint Sorlin (Les Sybelles)

Does anyone know what these resorts' snow is likely to be like? As they're pretty low altitude?

Thanks for your help,

Mnbv
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've just come back from a great day in Val Frejus (yesterday) and snow was great when compared to every where else across the French Alps!!!!

It's not low and stats wise stacks up extremely well.

And if driving out you can buy the Eskimo Pass which lets you ski at five or ski other resorts the area such as Val Cenis and Bonneval to name but two.

We were most impressed
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mnbv,

I did Chamrousse a couple of years back at the end of March / first week of April.
In 7 days we had 4 which snowed, even to a extent where some runs were shut, although the warmer weather later in the day did cause a bit of slush lower down.
Saying that it is at 1600m so not to bad so long as its not boiling.

Its not a massive ski area but kept us entertained for a week, and if you like parks its got a fairly comprehensive set up.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
No such thing as a second tier resort some small resorts are mega gems just waiting to be discovered (and not talked about) unlike the mega mileage large resort with mega motorway sking.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

they're pretty low altitude?

compared to, say, Morzine, Les Gets, Megeve, Meribel? Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You would have no problem at La Norma.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Had a great week in Valloire / Valmeinier in April a couple of years ago. No problems with snow cover
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
La Norma was fecked compared to Val Frejus etc. It's so much lower, so why would you even consider it?
Like I say base your self in Val Cenis and get an Eskimo pass
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We have skied a few Easters at La Norma when our children were younger and we couldn't ski too far and we never had a problem. It is north facing. orientation is the key at that time of year. Slopes on the other side of the valley were green.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'll also vote for Valfrejus, at Christmas they had the most snow of any French resort. I saw on Facebook the other day that the French Ski team is currently training there Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The top height of the skiing in La Norma is the same as Val Frejus. The town is 1350 compared to 1550 at Frejus but as the lady said the aspect of the slopes is good. Like her I was there early April and it was fine. Not that I am trying to persuade anyone to go there, I don't give a fig but a base station of 1350 in mid-March is not low. Aussois which has a base station of 1550 but is on the other side of the valley so opposite aspects was screwed when I was there. Maybe Val Frejus or Val Cenis are better options, I don't know I haven't been to either.

My La Norma TR http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2019798&highlight=norma#2019798

http://www.piste-maps.co.uk/France/EspaceEskimo
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have skied Les Sybelles lots of time in late March/early April. Le Corbier always has the best snow at village level (its slopes are North facing), St Sorlin best at top - and of course accessible from Le Corbier as it's same lift system. La Toussuire higher (1800m) but sunnier so snow can suffer in freeze/thaw conditions. I'd say any of these mid-March would be perfectly fine (plus there's 300km+ of pistes!).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ski La joue du loup every year at a similar time depending where easter falls (Hope that makes sense) Generally snow spot on .... tipping over into April can mean some lower runs are closing but on the whole pretty good ..
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Most of these resorts would be first tier in Austria if you look at the number of lifts and kilometers of slopes.

Superdevoluy and La Joue missed out on all of the snow till now this year. On the other hand, the southern french alps are going to receive a huge dump in the next few days.

Serre Chevalier would be your best bet, or Foret Blanche (Risoul). Of the options you mention, Valfrejus. Or better still, Val Cenis.

For end of march I would not recommend Les Sybelles. Lots of draglifts and too late in the season for them.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you have booked flights to Grenoble most of the high resorts in the Tarentaise are within 3 hours (a bit longer on Bensbus.co.uk) - so pick between Val T, Val D, Tignes, Les Arcs 200 - all snow sure.
latest report
How snow sure are the resorts? Well, if it snows, there will be snow, if it doesn't there might not be wink

That said, we go to Chamrousse every year multiple times, and have never had 'bad' conditions...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy