Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goretex jacket

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

decided to buy a Goretex jacket and work with layers rather than get an insulated jacket.

Do you guys have any suggestions???

Thinking of spending max £300

Any tips are appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Take a look on http://www.sportpursuit.com. Loads of decent jackets on there at the moment, most under £200.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
musher wrote:
Take a look on http://www.sportpursuit.com. Loads of decent jackets on there at the moment, most under £200.

This. Some great deals on Haglofs jackets - lots of Goretex shells to choose from.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can pick up some good deals from go outdoors by getting them to beat an online retailer through their price match promise.... I managed to get them to knock £140 off a mountain equipment goretex pro jacket Twisted Evil

The beauty of this is you get to try the jackets on before you buy and as I'm sure you're aware that not all jackets are cut the same which makes ordering online some what of a gamble!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some superb Fischer jackets in Tamworth TK Maxx today. £180.

snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@musher
@TOm Doc

Will I miss anything if I get a jacket without powder skirt?

@tomb

Cannot seem to find many goretex jackets on go outdoors website

@Chris Bish

TKMaxx is always hit and miss....I never find anything on my local stores....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@redbaron51, a powder skirt is not necessary, if only. Try for gore tex pro if you can.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Outdoor Action in Blackburn, either go to the store or visit their website, always great deals on last years ME gore-tex, Berghaus, Sprayway etc. Good Gore -tex and layering system you cant go wrong. Go for more durable version of Gore tex for skiing rather than superlight versions.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Will I miss anything if I get a jacket without powder skirt?

If you ski off piste in powder a lot then you will probably appreciate a powder skirt. If not and you don't really feel the cold then they are not essential.

Unless you fall over often when they are handy as well Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Got a great deal on a marmot goretex pro shell on Sportpursuit in Oct last year - it's a climbing jacket though, not ski-specific but pockets in the right places and plenty of room for shoulders to move around so worked very well as a ski shell - quite narrow round the waist though. There is zero insulation however - in Cervinia in mid-dec it was fVERYing cold and with merino base + mid layers plus a fleece I was starting to shiver on the lifts - which is not like me! No powder skirt not an issue - I wear a pair of pants with a bib/back so if anything goes up, it just drops out!

If you want a little more insulation, the Haglofs Couloir pro series are excellent (also on Sportspursuit) - Mrs got one of those and they're more than just a membrane, have a stretchy fabric (knd of softshell but not as thick) on the outside and a sort of micro-fibre lining - you'd still need to layer up underneath, but less so than with a pure shell - they're also ski-specific so have powder skirts etc - never actually seen the need for one myself though.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have a Norrona Lofoten, and I have to say it really is great. Well made, packs down into a rucksack really well, nice fit and comfortable. Useful helmet compatible hood for when it gets cold. Decently waterproof for those wet skiing days. Breathes well, huge pit vents if needed. Low on storage,but it is a shell and I carry a rucksack most days.

I spent all of last season in a North Face Spineology jacket. Longer than the Norrona, so better powder protection and warmth on cold chairlifts. But not as good build quality, and thicker (but no more warm) fabric so does not pack down so well. Also, the waterproofing gave up after a few weeks: re proofing helped, but it was never as good as new. Nice looking thing, though.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@harry
How does the lofoten fits? I'm 5.11 10ish st
Is it goretex with insulation? the description says goretex with primaloft.
What do add as layers?
Found a medium at a reasonable price so considering it
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mine's just a shell, no insulation. I just layer up: any old breathable mid layer will do.

I wear a large, but I am pretty broad and they are slim fitting. Odd fit - I would try before you buy...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Goretx not essential. I have a Patagonia with their own label membrane (H2No?) which is performing and wearing well. Was a lot cheaper although I was buying on fit and specification.

Event also reputed to be good.

I thought I'd miss the powder skirt but haven't at all. Even in the lightest, fluffiest powder.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@jbob, +1 for Gore Pro. i have one jacket which is Gore -Pro and and one which is Gore-Active, the difference between the two in terms of durability and waterproofing is crazy. Obviously I use them for different purposes but just from feeling the Gore-PRo you can see it's far superior. It is however a mountaineering jacket (does have a snow skirt) but no insulation, so I find I have to wear thermal base layer and technical fleece and maybe even a Down jacket underneath.
ski holidays
@under a new name, I have an H2NO Patagonia. It's still going strong after 7-8 years, apart from the 6x6" L shaped tear resulting from a unexpected tree interface. It was Patagonias own brand top of the range fabric, which they claimed compared with Goretex and I've no reason to doubt that. I don't think they make it anymore, their top of the line outerwear is now made of Goretex.
snow report
@rogg, still exists, maybe not top of the range though
snow report
@rogg, @under a new name, Brands tend to put products at the top of the range when they have new technologies etc, then as the technology filters through the rest of the range, they often keep the original product but it moves down through the product hierarchy. I have a few products which were once top of the "pyramid" as such once upon a time, but now are classed as middle range as new technology is released.
snow conditions
@Daleybou1234, or as marketing departments perceive the constituency's ill-informed desires to be...
snow report
hi all
thank you so far for the tips...
"problem" is that there are so many options to choose from that the task becomes really hard.
it is even difficult to make a short-list.

*it seems that investing in one of these waterproof jackets will also add the bonus of wearing while running*

so far:
norrona lofoten
patagonia triolet
patagonia leashless
Arc'teryx Alpha FL
patagonia m10

please help me and add few more to the shortlist

thanks
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy